No mayo/low carb Tuna recommendations...

Options
trustymutsi
trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
Hi everyone. I'm currently trying to keep my carbs low and protein high. I also hate mayo. Any recommendations on how to eat tuna? I have a hard time eating it plain or just on salad.

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition?

If not, why are you keeping your carbs low?

Mustard & onion maybe?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Use Greek yoghurt instead of mayo.
    Add to a tomato sauce.
    Add it to omelette.
    Make a tonnato sauce out of it and serve over other cooked meats.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What about salsa?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is super simple:

1 can tuna
    1/2 avocado
    1 roma tomato
    Squeeze of lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

The avocado gives it the same creamyness without the mayo. I like to have this with a green salad and balsamic dressing.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I finely chop a bunch of veggies (broccoli, onion, celery, carrots, etc....) and mix it with spicy mustard to make tuna salad. I'm not a fan of mayo, either. Also the flavored pouches of tuna are pretty good on their own.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i use avocado instead of mayo, yum!
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options

1 can tuna
    1/2 avocado
    1 roma tomato
    Squeeze of lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

The avocado gives it the same creamyness without the mayo. I like to have this with a green salad and balsamic dressing.

This, except scratch the tomato. Not even needed.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great recommendations!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Mix it with spicy mustard, chopped tomatoes, spinach!
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

1 can tuna
    1/2 avocado
    1 roma tomato
    Squeeze of lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

this sounds really good, thanks for sharing. I think I'll try it for my lunch tomorrow.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition?

If not, why are you keeping your carbs low?

Mustard & onion maybe?

For a couple reasons.

1. I'm currently cutting. Trying to get down to 10% body fat. Still have a ways to go. I do better when my carbs are lower. I'm not cutting them out completely. I've just found I LOVE tuna on toast with a slice of cheese and mustard, but the whole grain bread just packs too many carbs in ones sitting. Trying to not spike my blood sugar too high at one time.

2. Since I'm cutting, I'm on a calorie deficit, but I'm also trying to get lots of protein to maintain muscle. The more carbs/fat I eat, the less grams of protein I can get into me. It's hard to get 150g of protein into my body. I try to get 150 because I've read you should try to eat .8 g of protein per lb of body weight.

1. I'm currently
  • jennbeaudry
    jennbeaudry Posts: 52
    Options
    I just started mixing mine with light tzatziki, I do 60 grams of tuna to 30 grams tzatziki I love it, it moistens the tuna and tastes great. For a total of 90 cal, 2.4 gr fat, 2 gr. carbs and 15 gr protein!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on how to eat tuna? I have a hard time eating it plain or just on salad.

You really should try and get over that when it comes to tuna, salmon, and trout - about the best 3 super food fish you can eat.

What to mix with it?

In no particular order or combination....

Seasoning, onion, soy, oil and vinegar, tomatoes (as mentioned), olives, capers, fresh lemon juice, ginger (Yum!), garlic (Yum!), basil, Buffalo mozarella (Yum!!!), and on and on.

I love how the Europeans use tuna on pizza and in tomato based pasta sauce on pasta (of course, that's not low enough carb for you - but it's dang good)!!!

I say skipped the canned tuna and get some fresh stuff - grill it on the grill with some seasoning and fresh lemon juice. You will quickly get over your inability to eat it by itself. ;-)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

1 can tuna
    1/2 avocado
    1 roma tomato
    Squeeze of lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

I love this! I add about a teaspoon of olive oil also :smile:
  • Brainiak20
    Brainiak20 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow! Avocado! I never thought to try that with the tuna (mayo substitute). Thanks for the lunch idea for tomorrow! :smile:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I despise mayo so I second the avocado and greek yogurt
    You can also use sour cream
    But I use Vegenaise
    It's a vegetable based, egg free spread that will give the creamy texture without the mayo taste. It is so mild in taste you basically won't taste it!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mash up an avocado and mix it with a can of tuna (drained). i put that on top of a salad with bolthouse farms honey mustard yogurt dressing, tomato, cucumber and feta cheese crumbles. super good.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of lemons, check out lemonnaise light. It doesn't taste like mayo, 40 cals/tbsp and is AWESOME. I use 1/2 tb with a whole can of tuna and it is perfection.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i use one or two servings of mayo(so not much at all), and then a lot of mustard, oregano/salt/pepper. sometimes i will warm it up and then use pretzel sticks to eat it almost like a dip. if you don't want any mayo at all you can just use more mustard--ive done that a few times, so not too bad. or if you get low carb bread, you can still heat it up but put a serving of cheddar cheese on it and make a tuna melt :)
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    If you can afford it, go for tuna packed in olive oil. I find that I need to add a bunch of stuff to water packed tuna to make it taste better, but olive oil packed tuna usually just needs some salt and pepper.