Protein World / Slim Fast / diet pills

Options
SophNewts
SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone out there had any successful experiences with diet pills (for want of a better word) or metabolism increasing/fat burning supplements? In combination with diet and exercise I have been taking Protein World's fat melter capsules. I lost the most weight during the first 4 days of use (3lbs) but this was in combination with the shakes and exercise so I was only consuming around 1,200 cals per day. I am not therefore sure whether the pills have had any effect? I have stopped using the shakes (the max recommended time to use meal replacement shakes is 2 weeks) but I am still eating healthily, exercising when I can and taking the pills, particularly with large meals (as they're meant to increase metabolism and be taken with food).

I mention Slim Fast in the title because I thought I'd mention that their shakes are much, much tastier than Protein World's (which seems to be endorsed by celebrities all over Twitter). I am going on holiday in 2 weeks and I am having a normal/healthy breakfast (usually Weetabix), a Slim Fast for lunch and a low (or no) carb dinner in the evening. I am additionally taking the fat melter (Protein World) capsules with some meals as mentioned above. I exercise 2 - 3 times a week and walk 30mins minimum every day. Weight loss has really slowed down since I hit 8st 13lbs (I am 5''3) about 6 months ago, but this method of replacing a meal with a shake helps me lose 2 - 3 lbs quickly (within 2 weeks) before an event and I am managing to maintain a healthy weight of 8st 13lbs - 9st 2lbs.

I was reading up today about a Raspberry Ketone pills - the results sound amazing but I am confident that its all marketing hype, surely you can't lose 7 lbs+ in a month from taking pills alone? With no change to diet or exercise?

Really keen to get some thoughts, experiences and opinions on this - can pills really help us lose weight, or are they even worthwhile as merely a mental tool to keep us going in combination with diet and exercise?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Do you think that if there was ANY product, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, that money could buy that would magically make you lose weight that Oprah Winfrey would still be fat?

No, they don't work.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nope. None of those works. Esp. The raspberry ketone. I don't know how people can be fooled into paying for those scams.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Nope there is no short cut to weight loss. Figure out your tdee, take 15-20% off and find some willpower.

That's it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for quick fixes, save your money, eat less and move more.
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut works wonders (I lost 26 lbs in a month, no lie) but it is obviously quite unhealthy & has pretty rough side effects - insomnia, uncontrollable shaking, anger, & a worsening ulcer were my personal experiences. I don't recommend it, personally. But if that one works, there must be other things out there that work, too, with less side effects.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If there was a magic pill everyone would be taking it. Some might work temporarily but most of the time people gain back the weight and even more.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is going to give you successful, long term results is eating less and moving more.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut works wonders (I lost 26 lbs in a month, no lie) but it is obviously quite unhealthy & has pretty rough side effects - insomnia, uncontrollable shaking, anger, & a worsening ulcer were my personal experiences. I don't recommend it, personally. But if that one works, there must be other things out there that work, too, with less side effects.

Sounds fun.

I lost 150 lbs in 12 months eating at a deficit and moving more.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If there was a magic pill everyone would be taking it. Some might work temporarily but most of the time people gain back the weight and even more.

She speaks the truth!!!

Just say no.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't take supps for what your body can do naturally.
  • cropaway
    cropaway Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done Isagenix and it works great! Before I tried it I saw other people succeed. Its easy but expensive. I have never felt better though! check it out on line. I have done the 9 day cleanse (IT is not a colon cleanse) and healthy body diet for 30 days. Im just finishing up my 30 days. I am going to see how I feel on my own otherwise I may reorder.
  • Melindajean29
    Options
    This is the best response I've ever heard! It is so true! Talk about perspective! Sadly, weight loss involves work and lifestyle change. You have to give up old habits and make new ones, and that is really the only way.
  • Melindajean29
    Options
    Do you think that if there was ANY product, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, that money could buy that would magically make you lose weight that Oprah Winfrey would still be fat?

No, they don't work.

This is the one I meant when I said this is the best response I've every heard. Excellent perspective!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The pills don't work and if anything make things worse. I tried stacker II a while back and quickly discontinued use of it because it made me feel super jittery, now I know better.

You can lose only lose weight by creating a calorie deficit though dieting or by a combination of your diet + exercise. There's no magic pill for weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope there is no short cut to weight loss. Figure out your tdee, take 15-20% off and find some willpower.

That's it.

QFT
  • kirstiejess
    kirstiejess Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been using the protein world shakes also, for me they are better than slimfast as they ate a lot higher in protein and lower in sugar which also keeps me full for longer. I sometimes put it in the blender and instead of using water i use almond milk and maybe throw in a bananna or strawberrys.

Along with a healthy diet (1200 cals inuding 2 shakes) and moderate exercise i lost 10lbs in 2 weeks.

I had the fat melters too but kept forgetting to use them xx
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Meth. Meth will drop the pounds right off of you. And teeth. And hair. Sanity, too.

I have used slim fast shakes as a mid-morning/mid-afternoon snack, but I upgraded to making my own with protein powder. They aren't a terrible place to start if you aren't used to between-meal snacks.
  • Mavenly
    Mavenly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a muti billion dollar industry. If any of these devices actually worked, they would never have hit market through banner ads. The entire company would have been snapped up by Pfizer, or GlaxoSmithCline and you'd be paying for it through your insurance. No pharma company could AFFORD to have a functional weight loss tool existing outside their profit margins.
  • SophNewts
    SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments (so far), I completely agree that the best (and possibly only) way to lose weight healthily is a change for life which includes both diet and exercise, something I feel I've managed to achieve (for the most part). It was more a thought provoking question as I've been giving the shakes a try as a quick fix to be in the best shape for a holiday and they seem to often be in combination with pills.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in 1 month on hydroxycut. I was also 240 when I started taking it. I did get a headache when I didn't take it, but other than that, not much for symptoms. If you want to try raspberry ketones go to your local walmart, head to the vitamin aisle and grab a bottle for a couple bucks. Not worth spending $20-$30 a bottle in my opinion when you can get the same for less. Also, in the vitamin aisle, grab some cinnamon pills, they also worked for me.