Does sugar free interfere with weight loss?

Options
DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
There is so much different information out there. I have been reading a lot that artificial sugars & diet products are bad for your health. But how does it effect weight loss? For example if I eat all natural plain yogurt Vs. one that has artificial flavors & sweeteners but they are very close in calories. Will the plain one make my weight loss any better than the other? Does it truly all come down to calories in & calories out?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs out..... nothing else matters for weight loss.

People over complicate the **** and it's mind boggling retarded.
  • DJ7203
    Options

It is made out to be so complicated & all the different information that changes from one day to the next makes it so freaking confusing!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

It is made out to be so complicated & all the different information that changes from one day to the next makes it so freaking confusing!
    I agree. It can be confusing with all the information and misinformation.

I use the KISS method. Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Cal in vs Cal out.
    Simple.

Maybe if you get to the very end you may need to tweek things to get the 6 packs and whatever, but for the most part it is that simple.

Some people make it so complicated and I think that is part why some quit.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never actually conducted an experiment, but based on my knowledge sugar free substitutes won't interfere with your weight loss as long as you maintain a deficit. However, with that being said, I believe they could increase your risks of certain types of cancers, but this idea is often both supported and refuted, so the final decision still remains up to you and how safe you perceive it to be.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat it in excess (calories over TDEE)...........................just like anything else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I really believe that it depends on your metabolism. I see a difference if I eat moderate to low carbs vs high carbs. I find it difficult to meet my protein goals most days but partly that is because I am only allowed 1200-1300 calories, which only gives me 1/2 pound of loss per week.
    If I'm really motivated and want to lose weight as fast as my body will allow, I do the first two weeks of South Neach diet according to the book. I don't restrict oils like olive oil at all. On this plan, I am able to lose weight much easier. Unfortunately, it's a lot of cooking and prep work to follow any meal plan exactly. I find it much easier to just count calories and try to keep my total fat grams less than about 100 grams.
    My mother and I are slightly glucose intolerant. She is finding that a 50 gram total carb intake works the best for her.
    Modified low carbs make a lot of sense. I did a Masters in Nutrition/biochemistry. The metabolic pathway to convert proteins or fats to usable energy is less efficient than the glucose pathway. Fats are next in efficiency, carbs are the easiest.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Metabolically? No.

The only way that sugar-free substitutions would interfere with weight loss that I can think of off the top of my head relate to eating behavior.

I have a sweet tooth >> I taste something sweet >> I ravenously devour food to the point of eating in a surplus.

Again, the culprit there is the surplus, but that doesn't mean we completely discount the role of the behavior. I don't happen to have that problem with a sweet tooth, but for someone who does, figuring out ways of moderating that behavior will be key. They know they have to eat in moderation, but sometimes it takes some experimentation to figure out how to do that and stay sane.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Look at my ticker. I drink perhaps 2 litres of diet coke a month.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In the end, it's as simple as calories in vs. calories out.

However, many people find their hunger spikes more after eating sweetened (via sugar or artificial sweeteners) foods, and less after eating foods full of fiber and lean protein. The effect of foods on your hunger are worth considering if you're not meeting your target due to feeling hungry.

In the case of yogurt, you can also eat more by volume and weight of the less-sweetened variety for the same calories. A 5.3 oz Fage Raspberry contains 120 calories, while a 6oz Fage Plain contains 100 calories.

You might fit in raspberry as an indulgence, or add honey to the plain. Find what works for you. :)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    when i have sugar free stuff i feel absolutely *kitten* , i have really bad stomach aches, headaches, conception......gas....., so it interferes with my exercise and then interferes with Weight loss
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i mean constipation

stupid predictive text

i've turned it off now

.........crap

:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No but its not great for you health wise!
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences & knowledge. I'm glad I can eat a couple sugar free things here & there without feeling like I'm doing something to hurt my weight loss :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There is so much different information out there. I have been reading a lot that artificial sugars & diet products are bad for your health. But how does it effect weight loss? For example if I eat all natural plain yogurt Vs. one that has artificial flavors & sweeteners but they are very close in calories. Will the plain one make my weight loss any better than the other? Does it truly all come down to calories in & calories out?
    Look at my ticker it's not interfered with mine. I eat 60% carbs a lot of fruit and according to MFP I average around 100g of sugar a day (mostly from fruit)