Open water 2miles 23rd august- Loch Lohmund. Tips wanted :)

Options
Hiya,

I've briefly searched the forum but couldn't find exactly what i was after so thought I'd make a new topic!

-First of all is anyone else doing this swim or has anyone done it or something similar before?

Just after some tips really on-

-Best website for wet suits or type of wetsuits
-what combination of distance/interval training to do
-what to eat on the day (9.am ish start)
-what stroke to do.

If I think of more I'll post again!

And really just some motivational words or success stories about open water swims would be nice, heard a few horror stories and worrying a bit!

I'm 24 and have recently started swimming 4-5 times a week in a 25m pool. I used to train for a club up until I was at secondary school so am okay with technique just not very fast! I tend to swim on average a mile a time but sometimes do half a mile or on occasions 2 miles. The distance I do seems to depend on how much time I have and not a case of Feeling tired. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear any responses from this. I do a triathlon that has a short open water swim (1/4 mile), have thought of doing a longer open water swim, but I am terrified. Swimming in a pool is one thing, open water totally different. I don't really have access to open water to train for any distance.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, I swim open water for triathlons also (the longest distance being Ironman but half Ironman is my prefered distance so 2.4 or 1.2 miles depending). I have an Orca wetsuit, it's sleeveless because I find that my shoulders ache by the time I get to the run if I wear a full one, but there are loads of other good brands out there. I tend to buy my stuff from Wiggle because they have most things I need, but Ebay can be quite helpful too :-). I also wear latex socks when I'm training because I don't like the weeds touching my feet.

My main suggestion is make sure you practice in open water, the shock of the cold water and the added difficulty of not having walls to push off of can be hard work to start with and the more times you can experience it the better. Also, personally, I found I get sea sick when I swim in open water so I learnt to take motion sickness tablets before the start (otherwise it ends very very badly for me!), which is something I could only have learned from training outside.

There are plenty of free training programs on the internet and I have a book called "Swim Workouts for Triathletes: Practical Workouts to Build Speed, Strength, and Endurance" which is really good too (I'm sure you can get similar books from the library).

As for food I would say: whatever you are used to. Don't go changing your fuel on race day because it'll end in disaster, personally I have some fruit and nut muesli and that's enough for me, but whatever you train with stick with that.

I do crawl (with single sided breathing) when I'm swimming openwater (I'm bilateral when I swim in a pool), but breast stroke or a combination of the two is fine too (I know several people who swim breast stoke faster than I can crawl anyway!), I think whatever you are comfortable with is absolutely fine :-)

My advice: GO FOR IT!! You are obviously a strong swimmer (I can imagine some people might have problems if they aren't that confident in their swimming) and I think you will really enjoy it. I love open water swimming, have enjoyed every race I've entered and training outside is so much more fun then being trapped in an overheated swimming pool :-D

EDIT: Not liking the weeds touching my feet, I know it's silly!
    @Alidecker if you've done a short open water swim it's just a question of endurance, you'd be absolutely fine with a longer race I promise! :-)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Maybe search for Iron Man competitions as well as they have over a 2mile open water swim involved in them??

A couple of the websites I use for running, support triathlons as well so have wet-suits etc (if you're in the UK one of them also has a swim lab for you to try out the suits)
    www.wiggle.co.uk
    www.ratrace.com (this website organise an iron man competition which involve the marathon going up Ben Nevis in Scotland)!!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Not liking the weeds touching my feet, I know it's silly!
    @Alidecker if you've done a short open water swim it's just a question of endurance, you'd be absolutely fine with a longer race I promise! :-)

Weeds touching my feet would freak me out (I'l stick to running and the occassional dip in a nice heated pool)!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    never really swam open water competitively, but i've scuba dived a few times and trying to do anything like swimming in a thick wet suit is very difficult.

i imagine the ones they use for these purposes would be thinner, but if there is like a tank top option that will still keep you warm enough, id deffinetly go for that.

if it was my i'd be doing freestyle (front crawl)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I would do mostly freestyle also, but how do you sight yourself when you swim freestyle? I end up doing breaststroke to do that, but it seems slower. Although sometimes I do breastroke when I am tired too.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do open water swimming for triathlons, I'm not very qualified for giving a lot of advice, but here are things as I see them. 1) Train in open water - waves, wind, currents, cold water change the game quite a bit. 2) I use a forward crawl, and bilateral breathing, helpful in open water especially if you are getting pounded in the face by waves. 3) Eat the way you would for any endurance event, small meal with protein and complex carbs 1 - 2 hours before the event, and a simple carb right before the event. 4) I have a hyperflex insulated wetsuit top, short sleeve - purchased on Amazon (it was the cheapest, I am cheap/poor). I don't generally swim in water below 60 deg F., I've also go some natural insulation that helps. Though depending on Water Temp in August, you might just need a good swimsuit. Not sure what the temps are like in Loch Lohmund, but it is easy to get overheated and dehydrated and not realize it in open water. 5) I got accustomed to cold water by taking cold showers, don't know if it actually helped, but psychologically it did. 6) BeginnerTriathlete.com has good resources for interval training etc, look for the stuff aimed at IronMan distance training.
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of great info! I shall look further in to them when I'm home! Never even thought of the motion sickness eek!

Thanks everyone
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Alot of triathlon clubs have open water practice. Even if you don't live near a club, there may be a clinic nearby run by a club.

Freestyle definitely and learn to alternate you breathing so you can use both sides just in case. It will help with swimming in general, but you don't want any surprised if you find out conditions make it so you can't breathe on the side you practice on.

I don't swim in a wetsuit, so I can't help there. I personally hate them.

For training, I like my local Master swim program. You usually find lots of triathletes there. I am training at the gym now, and also have something called swim workouts in a binder. I love them. It's a little water proof book that has different workouts.

Good luck!
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has already been said...

If the water is going to be really cold (or cold to you) I got a warm cap - I can't remember exactly, but it covered my ears, and was like a wetsuit for my head. Was helpful to me.

Definitely need to practice in open water. As far as stroke and breathing, I do crawl - breathing to one side (as opposed to bi-lateral in the pool) - but one thing to add - when you take a breath, every now and then (or maybe every 10th stroke or so), I would lift my eyes up when turning my head back into the water after taking a breath - this is how I would spot where I was - so I didn't go the wrong way, or bump anyone. That you can practice in the pool.
  • rosie291289
    Options
    Anyone familiar with wetsuit brands?

Seen osprey, gull, speedo, odyssey, twobare feet

All range from £20 to £500

I'm probably only using it to train for the swim then do the swim! It will be august in Scotland (summer month)

Any idea what i should go for ?! What mm? What price roughly?

Anyone any bad or good experiences with a particular wetsuit?
  • rosie291289
    Options
    What temp were you swimming in to wear a sleeveless one?

Orcas have great reviews online!

How much did you pay for your wetsuit and latex socks! (I was worrying about the weeds too!)
  • rosie291289
    Options
    Has anyone completed (or seen anyone complete) an open water in backstroke? It's my strongest stroke and I'm trying to improve my front crawl to do that but I still think my back crawl will be strongest! Any thoughts!? X
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Anyone familiar with wetsuit brands?

Seen osprey, gull, speedo, odyssey, twobare feet

All range from £20 to £500

I'm probably only using it to train for the swim then do the swim! It will be august in Scotland (summer month)

Any idea what i should go for ?! What mm? What price roughly?

Anyone any bad or good experiences with a particular wetsuit?

OP, I am currently training for my first open water swim races this summer. I did grow up swimming in a lake though. I am currently looking for a wetsuit for myself since one race is over 3km.
    Practice Practice and Practice. And practice in open water. Be prepared during race time to get splashed and bumped.

Wet suits help with buoyancy and warmth. Since you are in Scotland I would recommend a full body suit (ankle to wrist) for warmth. If you can, find a store and try a few on. I did the past weekend. I found the store through recommended links from a triathlon group website.
    Trying on wetsuits is importation since the different makes and styles fit differently. Orca will not work for me, but I found a Zoot one that fits. Cost was about $476 CAN. You do not want any extra fabric because that will become uncomfortable. They are also meant to be tight and its a struggle to get into one. You will need to apply bodyglide to prevent chaffing when swimming.
    There is a difference between wetsuits meant for water sports and wetsuits made for triathlons and swimming. You will want one that is made of neoprene.

I would keep back stroke for a recovery stroke, its important to see where you are going and its easy in open water to lose your direction and start to veer off course.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've done a bit of open water swimming in the last 4 years - Great North in Windermere and Epic Events swims in Ullswater and Derwent Water. I love it!! This year I'm building up from 1 mile swims to 3.8km.

Long post coming up but hopefully this is useful.

Get yourself a swim wetsuit, not a general or surfing on (personally I wouldn't contemplate 2 miles in Loch Lomond without a wetsuit and lots of UK events are wetsuit compulsory - every credit to people going without but I just couldn't!)
    The swim/triathlon wetsuits have a rubberised coating over the neoprene - much smoother and less resistance in the water than just neoprene.
    My wetsuit is a Foor (hired from Great swims then kept the suit instead of returning it to get my deposit back - don't know if they're doing the same deal this year?). My husband bought similar one last year for about £120. Blueseventy and 2xU are other popular brands with swimmers/triathletes - worth looking on ebay and Wiggle
    Top tip I got was to go for chest size and ignore the height - I think mine (size F5) is supposed to fit a 6'5 man but it stretches sideways instead of up on me - I'm 5'6 with huge comedy belly and boobs and it fits great.
    To get into my suit I use loads of body butter and put my feet in carrier bags! Sounds daft but helps me slide in.

I have seen people swim backstroke but i would never trust myself to go in the right direction - it's much trickier to stay straight without a line on the floor or ceiling to follow and I have to correct my line enough doing freestyle.
    Also, check the rules of the event you've entered - turning onto your back and waving your arms is the most commonly used signal to summon help from a support boat. Because of that some events don't want people swimming backstroke. The race notes and safety briefing before your swim will tell you if this applies.

I swim mostly freestyle, spotting just as schmanciepants described. But I also do a bit of breaststroke for a look round - don't see the point in travelling to swim in such beautiful places if I don't get to see them from the water :smile:

Mass start swims can get a bit whitewater especially at the start - I try to hang back a bit and then work my way forwards if at all. Turning points round buoys can get a bit jostly too so I prefer to swim wide - you won't avoid all the kicks and elbows but that minimises it.

As other people have said get in some open water practice if at all possible - google for local triathlon clubs - the one I go to is very friendly and welcoming to people who just want the open water swimming practice. They're also good for safety briefings and getting someone to swim with you on your first time or two.

Good luck!! Enjoy!!!
  • rosie291289
    Options
    Ah great tips thanks! Maybe I need to try the distance doing just front crawl or breast stroke! :( it's going to be hard!

Thanks for all the brand recommendations, I will have a look in to them once home! X