Evening Snacking Arg! Any advice?

Options
Does anyone else have the late night munchies? You know that feeling...you're tired and bored, watching tv or playing on the computer and then you decide you could use something to munch on? How do you battle the urge? or do you give in? I've been having issues with this lately, the will power has depleted thru the day and it's way too easy to eat a couple pieces of pizza, or buttery popcorn... HELP!

Replies

• powerpigeon
    powerpigeon Posts: 46
    Options
    Can you save any calories for the evening, if you know you're an evening snack sort? Is it sweet or salty you're wanting?
    I tend to go sweet in the evening, but it's more about having something than actually being hungry. I go for a cup of sweet fruit tea and a square of good quality dark chocolate. That hits the spot for me.
  • oreganoo
    oreganoo Posts: 2
    Options
    I second powerpigeon. For me, in the evenings if I'm really craving something I go for a square of lindt dark chocolate 85% or higher, and a cup of unsweetened almond milk. 93 calories combined, 0 grams of sugar, totally fills me up and gets rid of the snacking urge!!
  • swellmama3
    swellmama3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my exact problem too! I can be really good during the day, but a night after my kids go to sleep, I have the worst cravings!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Can you save any calories for the evening, if you know you're an evening snack sort? Is it sweet or salty you're wanting?
    I tend to go sweet in the evening, but it's more about having something than actually being hungry. I go for a cup of sweet fruit tea and a square of good quality dark chocolate. That hits the spot for me.

I have accepted that I will "need" something sweet while watching TV before bed. I just budget it into my day. It's not that I'm bored after dinner- about 2 hours later around 9 or so I am a little hungry. I'm not going to spend of the rest of my life going to bed hungry so I plan an evening snack out in advance.
  • sophieR12
    sophieR12 Posts: 43
    Options
    What you need to do is a scientific technique called "behavior control
    Its simple style is based upon the reward punishment principle and is adapted to each individual's dietary hang ups.
    Here's how it can work for you

step 1: you are confronted with a STIMULUS- a cookie

Step 2: The stimulus initiates a RESPONSE- you reach for the cookie

Step 3: At that moment, you visualize an unpleasant thought (a PUNISHMENT), such as an overweight person with YOUR face.

Step 4: Instead of the cookie you reach for a piece of fruit that you like (a DESIRED behavior)

Step 5: Then you have a pleasant thought- a REWARD- such as a slim, youthful looking you in front of a mirror
  • sophieR12
    Options
    hoping this works for you it is for me so far as i am quitting smoking as well as losing weight etc :) xx
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Someone recommended upping my protein at each meal (breakfast, lunch dinner) to a minimum of 30 grams.

I tried it last year, and it drastically decreased my late night snacking.

Oddly enough even when I went back to some of my unhealthy choices...I kept this one going and my late night snacking urge never came back.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love snacking, especially at night. Due to this, I tend to eat smaller meals throughout the day to allow for more calories to go towards snacks. I would suggest that maybe you pre-log a couple hundred calories for snacks at night. I also only keep 1-2 snack foods in the house (usually popcorn and 100 calorie pack of something). This has helped me not snack nearly as much and prevents binging on things like Oreos.
  • bikinilinds
    bikinilinds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think snacking in the evening is not good. Most people aren't on the go at that time and if you're snacking you're just going to gain weight unless you kick yourself in the butt the next day. My deadline is 6pm. If I am hungry after that time I will make some green tea or drink some water. I suppose it all depends on the person, but I have a lot of discipline.
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I also eat small snacks and meals through out the day. I am a late night snacker but I feel I shouldn't put on a bunch of calories before bed. For this reason I go for rice cakes for late night munchies. If I want a salty snack I grab the regular popcorn rice cakes and if I want something sweet I grab the choc or caramel rice cakes. I also have switched to eating more fruit and veggies during my night time snacking. Raisins and prunes are a good choice as well as fresh fruit and vegge.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its simple style is based upon the reward punishment principle and is adapted to each individual's dietary hang ups.

Step 3: At that moment, you visualize an unpleasant thought (a PUNISHMENT), such as an overweight person with YOUR face.

Step 4: Instead of the cookie you reach for a piece of fruit that you like (a DESIRED behavior)

Step 5: Then you have a pleasant thought- a REWARD- such as a slim, youthful looking you in front of a mirror

Found this somewhat insulting-- I never thought that looking at an overweight person, including myself, as a punishment. way to encourage self loathing/poor self esteem. Women have enough body image problems.

I eat my dinner a little late and leave room in my calorie budget for a bedtime snack if I need it.
  • Kymsanity
    Kymsanity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me my 'evening thing' at the moment is sugar free gum. It's not nearly as satisfying as the huge bag of pretzels I would like to be eating, but it keeps my mouth moving and tends to distract me from eating anything else!
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I want to snack at night watching T.V., I try to save some calories back so that I will not go over my calories for the day. I tend to make air popped popcorn with very little butter, or ice pops or Italian Ice, something that will take the cravings away and not high in calories/fat. Good luck to you
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth when you get hungry. you'll physically feel less hungry (for what reason i have no idea, probably the mint though) and you'll be less inclined to eat since brushing your teeth means to many people "no more food for today"
  • sophieR12
    Options

Found this somewhat insulting-- I never thought that looking at an overweight person, including myself, as a punishment. way to encourage self loathing/poor self esteem. Women have enough body image problems.

I eat my dinner a little late and leave room in my calorie budget for a bedtime snack if I need it.

i didnt mean it to be insulting just as a motivation to go for the healthier choice just go for an alternative unpleasant thought if it bothers you...
  • bikinilinds
    bikinilinds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me my 'evening thing' at the moment is sugar free gum. It's not nearly as satisfying as the huge bag of pretzels I would like to be eating, but it keeps my mouth moving and tends to distract me from eating anything else!

Sugar-free gum contains aspartame and/or acesulfame potassium. The effects of those chemicals are bad. I would not recommend anybody ever eat artificial sweeteners. My sister drinks diet pop all the time and it contains large amounts of aspartame and it makes me want to punch that can of pop from her hands right across the room. Chewing on known disease.
  • sophieR12
    Options

i didnt mean it to be insulting just as a motivation to go for the healthier choice just go for an alternative unpleasant thought if it bothers you...

also it not supposed to be about self loathing its about telling yourself how great and healthy you are going to look once you (me) have lost weight and toned up through exercise.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work an evening snack into my day. Sometimes I don't always want it, but I know that if I do I have the calories for it!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Just. Wow.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Dettles, I had the same problem. My late night eating/snacking was the main offender in my gradual weight gain over the years. I'm also a night owl, and I work some at night too on the computer, so I'm up late and need energy. Leftovers? Yeah, yum. Bowl of cereal? Sure! Slice of pizza with a few chicken wings? Why not!?

I cut it out completely a couple months back and it just sucked. Just got used to being hungry after dinner. Low energy for a while. I drank some coffee or diet soda...and if I had to have something, I ate celery and carrot sticks, maybe with a little sour cream (lite) as dip. Or a small yogurt. That might work for you, too.

But...it is much better...you do get used to not eating and it gets manageable. Going to bed earlier also helps.