Evening Snacking Arg! Any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• sophieR12
    sophieR12 Posts: 43
    Options
    What you need to do is a scientific technique called "behavior control
    Its simple style is based upon the reward punishment principle and is adapted to each individual's dietary hang ups.
    Here's how it can work for you

step 1: you are confronted with a STIMULUS- a cookie

Step 2: The stimulus initiates a RESPONSE- you reach for the cookie

Step 3: At that moment, you visualize an unpleasant thought (a PUNISHMENT), such as an overweight person with YOUR face.

Step 4: Instead of the cookie you reach for a piece of fruit that you like (a DESIRED behavior)

Step 5: Then you have a pleasant thought- a REWARD- such as a slim, youthful looking you in front of a mirror

Just. Wow.

in a good/bad way? i truly dont mean any of it to be insulting btw i am only trying to help :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

also it not supposed to be about self loathing its about telling yourself how great and healthy you are going to look once you (me) have lost weight and toned up through exercise.
    i understand what your getting at (thats pretty much exactly how i motivated myself for the first few months), but depending on the person thats a slippery slope between motivation and having a terrible self image
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the TV! REALLY! I have read several articles that link TV watching to compulsive snacking....

Also - I have been one of the people who has been eating tiny meals during the day with the idea that I am somehow being "virtuous." But I now suspect that I am just making myself crave food more often because I never really eat a complete MEAL. Plus, I am usually at my Serious Desk Job and very stressed out when I am depriving myself of true satiety.... So by the time I get home, all I want to do is EAT!

For the past few days, I have been eating a huge bowl of salad in the late afternoon. And - guess what? When I have been arriving home, I don't feel any compulsion to snack....

If this fails, I have a plan to draw myself a lovely fragrant bubble bath as soon as I get home and incarcerate myself away from the kitchen!!!!

We can do this!!!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Its simple style is based upon the reward punishment principle and is adapted to each individual's dietary hang ups.

Step 3: At that moment, you visualize an unpleasant thought (a PUNISHMENT), such as an overweight person with YOUR face.

Step 4: Instead of the cookie you reach for a piece of fruit that you like (a DESIRED behavior)

Step 5: Then you have a pleasant thought- a REWARD- such as a slim, youthful looking you in front of a mirror

What if you are on step 3 but you are already fat? How do you punish yourself then?

This is probably the dumbest thing I've read all day. And that's saying something.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I allocated 300-400 calories for evening snacks, and voila- problem solved. I got my chips and ate them too.

Seriously, time of day when you eat calories doesnt matter unless you have medical conditions that come into play. I know that progressively eat more as the day wears on so I plan my calories accordingly. I will always be someone who eats a big dinner and then has dessert or a snack. I just plan for about 50% of my daily calories to be left for it.
  • sophieR12
    sophieR12 Posts: 43
    Options

What if you are on step 3 but you are already fat? How do you punish yourself then?

This is probably the dumbest thing I've read all day. And that's saying something.

SERIOUSLY!!! i am trying to help here! this is taking it to a new level like i have said you can choose an alternative unpleasant thought. its your body not mine.
    i find this technique works for me and i thought it would help somebody else. its not my fault that YOU have a problem with the technique that works for me :/
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I think snacking in the evening is not good. Most people aren't on the go at that time and if you're snacking you're just going to gain weight unless you kick yourself in the butt the next day. My deadline is 6pm. If I am hungry after that time I will make some green tea or drink some water. I suppose it all depends on the person, but I have a lot of discipline.

um...no, just no.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for evening snacking.
  • heathl39
    heathl39 Posts: 46
    Options
    brush your teeth when you get hungry. you'll physically feel less hungry (for what reason i have no idea, probably the mint though) and you'll be less inclined to eat since brushing your teeth means to many people "no more food for today"
  • heathl39
    heathl39 Posts: 46
    Options
    I know I dont want to eat after I brush my teeth. Good idea!
  • pandabratt1
    pandabratt1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My newest solution is baby carrots, I can eat 2 servings of baby carrots, they're crunchy, just a little sweet, and I have them without any dips or sauces or anything, so the calories are low (70 total). I can take an hour to eat them just mindlessly and really not have to feel guilty!

I usually try to hold out around 100 to 150 calories for the evening hours, but I have a really early dinner too, so I need to have that leftover for me.

I know that it might not work for everyone, but this is something that has solved the nighttime for me.
  • rmills22
    rmills22 Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to have greek yogurt, a boiled egg, or nuts. i usually put an extra Chobani in the freezer during the day and have it later. Sometimes after dinner or my workout I will want something, but not quite a "MEAL". Sometimes fruit will tie me over until breakfast. Hope this helps.