What's healthier?

Options
What's better for you White rice or regular pasta?

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Broccoli.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That wasn't an option. :-)
  • nrida
    nrida Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good Question

I like rice since it goes with a lot of veggies like stir fry and I get full faster with rice.

Also if you can't handle gluten, rice is a good choice.

I tend to overeat when eating pasta for some reason so I tend to avoid it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they both kick major *kitten* for carb loading...I've been eating both all week long for that very reason.

As nutrition goes, I tend to look at my diet as a whole rather than singling out individual food items.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Both are evil. Packed with calories and little pay off (in my opinion). I had more success by eating more meat and green veggies and skipping the starches (as much as it pained me since I love them). If you forced me to choose, I'd go with rice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not about what's better and what is not, it's about eating what you want in moderation while staying in a calorie deficit.. Choose one or both and enjoy!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i guess i'd say they are the same as they are both pretty processed. so they are both lacking whatever minerals, fiber, whatever what might be in a grain product of a more natural form

150 G of white rice has a GI of 89 and 180 G of spaghetti is 58.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

none of the pasta's on that website go over 64 GI so i guess by that i'd say the pasta would be a better (and tastier lol) bet.

My take would be that neither is 'unhealthy' so long as your Macros are balacenced and you do not exceed your calorie limit
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Delicious!
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Why no brown rice/whole wheat pasta?

Really, it comes down to what you put with it. Personally, I can't eat rice without a lot of salty sauces (soy sauce) but I can have pasta with some sautéed veggies mixed in and a little olive oil.

Both are OK in moderation, but brown rice/whole wheat will help keep you fuller longer.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I thought they are the same....but for those with gluten thingy going on, rice is the choice? other than that, it's just personal choice I guess...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    White rice is healthier when it is accompanied by a good brown gravy. Pasta is healthier smothered in alfredo sauce.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What's better for you White rice or regular pasta?

They would be similar if portions were the same.
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    White rice is healthier when it is accompanied by a good brown gravy. Pasta is healthier smothered in alfredo sauce.

^^^This!!^^^

Cheers! :drinker:
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    Weight loss is not about what's better and what is not, it's about eating what you want in moderation while staying in a calorie deficit.. Choose one or both and enjoy!

Completely agree
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options

^^^This!!^^^

Cheers! :drinker:

Hahaha love it
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    urDJiCn.png

Serious answer: I think they're both awesome and both of them have their time and place.

Edit: As for what's healthier, that would be White rice since it has 1/3 the calories and 1/2 the carbs of the average pasta (assuming same weight of course).
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Broccoli.

Definitely.

I don't think either are healthy. Assuming there is wheat (and other not so great ingredients) in the pasta I would say rice is the lesser of the two evils.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have always heard brown rice is healthier, but I have also heard may other things that tur out not being true...so?

Personally I prefer brow rice or wild rice, but regular brown rice never cooks right for me (good cook, just one of those things), so many times it is white rice for my family.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I love them both so it would be unhealthy for me to give them up! I just only have 75g at a time when I'm not in my workout window. The basmati rice I eat has less calories than the pasta I eat but I eat them both nearly every day.

After a workout I'd load up on the white versions to help the amino acids from the protein I'm eating with it to get to the muscle cells to repair quickly for the next workout.

Too much fibre before running training for me is risky as it doesn't digest fast enough, but brown stuff is great 3 hours before long low impact workouts that need slow steady release.

Bulkers should go for white stuff so they can get their calories in without bloat.

As you can see there are many contexts to consider before we label a food optimal or not.

The only bad or evil foods I can think of are trans fats, artificial sweeteners and cauliflower.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have always heard brown rice is healthier, but I have also heard may other things that tur out not being true...so?

Personally I prefer brow rice or wild rice, but regular brown rice never cooks right for me (good cook, just one of those things), so many times it is white rice for my family.

Noticed my typos pass the edit time frame.