Replies

• holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Um :huh:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Why stop at blood? How about donating your brain? You don't seem to be using it anyhow.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I just wanted in on the thread. I wasn't sure if I should tell the story about how me and buddy used to donate blood before we went drinking, when we were poor.

"Here's your cookie and juice!"

"Thanks, but I brought my own"

*flask*

Pretty much. We'd run past the cookies and juice, to get outside to spark up, and quaff as many ales as we could afford.
  • holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why stop at blood? How about donating your brain? You don't seem to be using it anyhow.

:laugh:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You may be down a few pounds, but you won't look any better in jeans. It's fat that makes you look fat not the weight of blood. But go for it anyway I'm a strong supporter of people donating blood, organs, etc.. Wait if I donate a kidney or part of my liver (which is what I'd love to do once I'm healthy enough) will I wake up from the surgery skinny?
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Protip: Have a lot of fake IDs with you, so you can go to different locations in the same day.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Well, you can donate blood once every 56 weeks, about 6 times a year.

¿Qué

that should say every 56 days.
    I thought it meant 5 - 6 wks. Lol oh well almost the same anyway
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about how much effort it took your body to make blood and each pint of blood weighs over a pound. (2.1 pints in a liter, 2.2 pounds per liter) every pound you lose is 3500 calories gone. There might be a little bit of extra calorie burn to create new blood as well but you would lose 3500 calories for sure.

Just one donation can account for 2 hamburgers, 3 donuts, and perhaps 5 granola bars. If I just eat at maintenance and donate blood every 6 weeks (American Red Cross rules) I could potentially lose a good little bit of weight each year and still help other people in need of blood transfusions.

don't waste that donation on burgers and donuts and ****...it's beer time...and you'll be wasted pretty quick too.

also...some of y'all are hilarious 'cuz...

over-your-head-o.gif
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just wanted in on the thread. I wasn't sure if I should tell the story about how me and buddy used to donate blood before we went drinking, when we were poor.

"Here's your cookie and juice!"

"Thanks, but I brought my own"

*flask*

LOL. Now that's crazy but only because alcohol is just empty calories.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, you can donate blood once every 56 weeks, about 6 times a year.

¿Qué

lol, sorry, I meant DAYS!
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    LOL.

Well, you can donate blood once every 56 weeks, about 6 times a year. So if you go regularly you might lose a pound or two per year. Good weight loss plan :drinker:

Oh, and don't forget to account for the cookies and juice they basically force down your throat afterwards!

56 weeks? 6 times a year? 52 weeks in a year...I'm confused.

I meant to type 56 days.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that the body does burn a substantial amount of calories to make blood after a donation.
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    Potentially, yes, you could lose weight doing this. However, when you remove blood from your system, you're not really in a healthy state of being any more. It's kind of like healing from injury or sickness - you want to eat extra and drink extra to compensate. I'm not entirely sure that something bad would happen, just probably not ideal.

I think it would just work perfectly to make that sort of your cheat time. Reward yourself for doing something good, reward your body, keep it healthy rather than what you are suggesting.