New to MFP and looking for a healthier me.

Options
I am 39 years old, married and a mother of two teenagers and a one year old. I have struggled my entire life with my weight. My life has consisted of on and off going weight loss programs and schemes. I have seen family members almost die because of obesity and struggles with their weight. Finally I have decided this is to be the last straw for me. I gave birth to my son a year ago and in this last year I have struggled to get anything off. I don't want to take the drastic step of weight loss surgery but if I can't succeed by doing this on my own I have no other choice. I have been on myfitnesspal now for about 15 days and have lost about three pounds. I see this as an accomplishment for myself. I do struggle with a food addiction so this last few days has been a major struggle on my part. I just hope that by joining this group that I can find myself again. I want to be healthier not just for my family but for me. I feel that being overweight for so many years I have imprisoned who I really am and I finally want to be let free. I hope that now that I am making this commitment that I can help myself and many who see my journey. Good luck to all and to myself and thank you for making a site that helps others like me.

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    word mash is so hard to read

Welcome to the forum, a bitter you is already in you. You've taken the first step.

Welcome
    Todd
  • KarlKrist
    KarlKrist Posts: 4
    Options
    Just think very hard about WHY you eat.

Pursue the why, the rest will follow. Get that switch in your head to say, "Hey..that cake over there is NOT worth the calories...and it isn't even good anyway! Look at the rest of my family, and see what it has done to them. Why would I do that to myself?"

You laid out a few really good reasons to lose weight. Now you need to decide if you really want to do it or not. And if the answer is , "No", that doesn't mean you are a failure. It just means you aren't ready.

Look at your 1 year old. Think of them at school with their friends...now think of how you want them to feel about you. If you still aren't ready, get ready! Do it! Show that one year old how to live a good healthy life.
  • monikabenoit
    monikabenoit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have a one year old and I know how tricky it can seem to put yourself first but you are worth it! You are doing great by taking the first step. The decision to exercise everyday and watch what you eat is something you will have to re-commit to every single day. No - actually every single moment - because we are all constantly faced with situations where we have to decide - should I eat this - are the calories worth it. You can do anything you put your mind to! Welcome!