Sushi recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    At my local sushi train they have a dish called the treasure chest. It is a vessel made of avocado stuffed with spicy seasoned tuna sitting in a nest of daikon threads floating in a sea of yummy dressing speckled with roe. Delicious, very low carb and very large.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Volcano roll is AWESOME

it's also like $14 LOL
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you're not concerned about calories then you should try Sushi Pizza. SO GOOD.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like anything with eel in/on it. It's high in calories though but sooooo worth it.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tuna handroll, tuna maki, cucumber maki, gunkan maki...

Excuse me while I drool.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    butterfish (white tuna) is amazing... just melts in your mouth and has such a creamy taste... mmmmm....

Oh, and sweet potato rolls are delicious!
  • expoduck
    expoduck Posts: 59
    Options
    I once had a handroll made with sticky rice, banana and chocolate wrapped in thinly-sliced mango.

It was so good I actually wept.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sashimi roll.
    I call oxymoron!

I prefer sashimi as well, though, tuna, salmon, roe, shrimp, lots of things that I have no names for (at least not in English, but NOT scallops) with a lump of sticky rice on the side, wasabi, shredded ginger and soy sauce.
  • cmk9191
    cmk9191 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fancy Roll
    Spicy Tuna Crunch, Salmon & Avocado
    on the Top with Chef’s Special Sauce
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I can live without the fancy rolls, so I second pure salmon sushi (love that buttery texture with the slightly sweet rice). And I see someone above already mentioned aji...I just had that for the first time this weekend and LOVED it. It has a little more "tooth" to it. I like a spicy tuna hand roll with crunch every now and then too.

Oh I'm editing to add one more: my husband loves to order hamachi kama (not sure of the spelling) but it's yellowtail collar (hubby calls it the cheek), grilled, very flaky and delicious!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All the maki! Seriously, pretty much anything made into a roll, I'll be happy with. There's a japanese buffet place by the mall and I can do some serious damage there! My #1 fave is eel/unagi, especially when they leave on some of that crunchy skin. YUM! Oh and the spicy salmon with tempura and roe. OMG.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Our favorite sushi place makes an amazing Hurricane Roll and Volcano Roll. We always say we are going to try something else, but end up ordering those.

Now I'm drooling on my keyboard.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Volcano roll is AWESOME

it's also like $14 LOL

WHY IS THAT NOT IN MY BODY RIGHT NOW.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat the yellow-tail & scallion all the time (very fishy tasting though).
  • elleybean
    elleybean Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eel and avocado....soooo yum! Have a great time!
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Gotta try the volcano roll!

l.jpg
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Why do rolls? I mean they can be good, but when in the mood for good sushi...I'm a purist.

Most places do something along the lines of an "Omakase" which is where the chef chooses from their favorites. Some places call it a boat.

A good place has the server (or chef if you're at the bar) what you like and what you don't like and creates a meal just for you (or a party of two). But doing it this way usually allows you to try the best of the best they have to offer.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My husband "invented" a roll. We call it the Big C Roll (his nickname is Big C) and our local sushi chef has been known to give it to people who can't decide what they want. It's Spicy Tuna on the inside and salmon and avocado on the outside. Then he tops it with spicy stuff (it's different every time) and eel sauce (my husband's favorite).