Goal or net calories?? (2 questions)

Options
So I have been a member of MFP for a while but have finally decided to get serious as I still have 100 lbs to lose. My question is how many calories should I be eating? MFP recommends 1340 so I usually eat about 1500 and then exercise to meet my goal of 1340 or below. Am I doing it right? Or should I eat only 1340 and exercise to create a bigger calorie deficit?

My next question is should I start lifting now or wait until I drop some weight if I want to see the best results. (I weigh 260)

Thanks for your input!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your eating/ exercise equation is absolutely fine.

Lift now, no reason to wait.
  • MyCabbages
    MyCabbages Posts: 33
    Options
    People have differing opinions on your first question. Some eat their exercise calories back, which is what you are doing. Some don't, in order to create a bigger deficit. The thing is, MFP sets you below your maintenance level to basically force you to lose weight. If you create too big a deficit, you risk doing unkind things to your body. I know when I go under for more than a couple days, I get headaches, really tired, and I can't focus. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to run properly.

As to the second question, I think most people would agree that you should start lifting asap. Lifting increases your metabolism for a longer period of time than cardio. It will help tighten up and tone your muscles and skin, decreasing the amount of saggy skin you have leftover when you lose weight. Having a strong core is crucial to proper running form as well, and having strength everywhere else helps with balance and stamina.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lift straight away.
  • krillersmom
    krillersmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to your second question about lifting weights. But for your first question, my understanding is that you eat the 1340 and then you can choose to eat back your exercise calories, or you can choose not to, you will have a higher deficit for "better" weight loss (I say better, for lack of a better word. Maybe quicker/easier). But if you eat below the 1340, you usually get a message from MFP when you complete your diary for the day, that you are not eating enough. I think the number they give you should be your minimum. Hope that helps! Good luck in your journey!
  • tmoore_20
    tmoore_20 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just wanted to be sure I was doing it right, I've been so used to "dieting" that eating real food while trying to lose seemsforeign lol. As far as lifting I am going to actually utilize the gym in my apartment-finally.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed with a deficit set without exercise, so you would eat your exercise calories back. That being said, their numbers for calories burned tends to be a little high, so maybe start by eating back 50-75% and see how you do. As to lifting - START NOW! Once you do start, be sure you're getting adequate protein (MFP definitely sets this too low). You'll need it to preserve your lean body mass as you lose weight. Try customizing your macro goals to 40% carbs and 30% each for protein and fat. Best of luck!!!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    So I have been a member of MFP for a while but have finally decided to get serious as I still have 100 lbs to lose. My question is how many calories should I be eating? MFP recommends 1340 so I usually eat about 1500 and then exercise to meet my goal of 1340 or below. Am I doing it right? Or should I eat only 1340 and exercise to create a bigger calorie deficit?

My next question is should I start lifting now or wait until I drop some weight if I want to see the best results. (I weigh 260)

Thanks for your input!!

ideally you should find out your lean body mass ( have yourself tested dexa scan is great) then from there

STEP 1. Lean body mass x 15 calories = daily calorie intake ( calories )

Daily calories coming from 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats run that number and see how your weigh fluctuates in a month time then adjust accordingly slowly to warrant 1-1.5 lbs of net loss per week.

train within your 70% - 90% maximum heart rate zone ( MHR) it could be any exercise you so choose ( rowing machine, walking/running with the dog, resistance training)

or simply

STEP 2. GO TO THIS SITE: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and input your stats.

YOU dont necessarily have to join a gym straight-away, for now practice eating smart and well within your calorie intake allowance for the day and exercise with PROGRESSION IN MIND.... slow dieting is key for a long term successful HEALTHY LIFESTYLE CHANGE.... goodluck!