weight training

Options
So i wanna get into weight training but i wanna start at home first before i go to the gym what are the diffrent exercises i need to be doing ??? and im a bit confused about meal plans ...Do i only eat high protien meals and which foods have the highest protein ? am i alowed to have carbs or is it just meat and veg ?? also cheat days...explain lol

Replies

• maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In for the responses...

I too have only just started lifting :)
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    So, have you looked at programs that are interesting to you at all?
    I would find an easy to use program (Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, there's another program called Ice Cream lifts or something... I don't know.. find some gym program you like and can stick with). If you do not like any programs online- go to a trainer and explain that you want to start up a program.

here is a fitness program picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/#muscle_gain/strength/beginner

Now that you found a program you are ready to start lifting, right? Possibly. Check out form. Watch some youtube videos- do some quality research. Cannot lift a barbell? DO not do strength lifting with a barbell. Modify the lifts with dumb bells. Or just start with body strength (Squats & Lunges, negatives on pull-ups, modified tricep movements (like reverse plank and going down and bending your elbows and lifting yourself back up to reverse planks). Unsure of what you are doing? get a trainer that you have a goal program, however you are unsure about your form.

The meal plan is up to you. I do the IIFYM. that is me, it works for me. I'll leave the nutrition facts for someone more qualified.

edit: you can practice barbell movements with pvc pipes.

most things I haven't said with better information here: http://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/wiki/faq#wiki_12._what_are_the_basics_of_calorie_counting_and_nutrition.3F

here is an irrelevant link: http://i.imgur.com/HYFCNQf.jpg
  • bumblebee_me
    Options
    FYM whats that ?? and what about the cheat days im brousing youtube now cant believe i didnt think to look there first thank you x
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    YouTube videos are a phenomenal start to learning form, etc. Heavy will be relative. I started with just the bar and worked from there. If nothing else, it helps perfect your form before you start climbing up into heavier weights. For starters, something like strong lifts 5x5, all pro, new rules of lifting for women are great (I'm actually doing all pro myself, currently).

As far as nutrition. The one thing is to keep your deficit moderate, don't try to lose too quickly. 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, get a good amount of fat and fiber. Carbs are up to you. I run very well on high carb, so it'll be personal preference for that. Check out iifym.com's calculator for TDEE. Ignore all the other crap. You can take that number and that is the number of calories you'll consume every day. You'll account for your exercise with that, so eating exercise calories will be unneeded. Iifym is based on hitting your macro / micro targets. This will ensure nutrient balance without demonization that other diets entail. I've literally eaten this way from weight loss, to maintenance, to my now bulk.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    FYM whats that ?? and what about the cheat days im brousing youtube now cant believe i didnt think to look there first thank you x

Cheat days are unnecessary with iifym. That's the beauty of it. You balance your nutrients and whatever is left is up to you. Sometimes, things like ice cream, fast food, etc help me meet my macros. As, healthy is relative to a person's whole diet and not individual foods.

This group is a great place to find resources

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • bumblebee_me
    Options

Cheat days are unnecessary with iifym. That's the beauty of it. You balance your nutrients and whatever is left is up to you. Sometimes, things like ice cream, fast food, etc help me meet my macros. As, healthy is relative to a person's whole diet and not individual foods.

wwwoooowowowo i am so happy to be starting on weight training now wish i would have started ages ago xxx
    p.s whats all pro i have no idea of termanology ??
  • MSLUC
    MSLUC Posts: 30
    Options
    Anytime fitness centers have trainers who give free training advice designed just for you. A gym workout gives better feed back than home. Hard to procrastinate in a public setting, lol.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

wwwoooowowowo i am so happy to be starting on weight training now wish i would have started ages ago xxx
    p.s whats all pro i have no idea of termanology ??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am not a Beach Body coach but i love there programs. Right now i am just starting back at weight training and i am doing Les Mills Pump and Burn and T25 Hybrid workout its a great program and this week i am going to start adding his Combat workouts .If yo youtube you will find some clips to see if its really something for you i LOVE his stuff
  • colej157
    colej157 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you want to learn more about IIFYM, you should check the website Iiifym.com