NSV I beat diabetes

Options
Three months ago, right after I had just started to shed weight, I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was devastating. My doctor told me he would give me three months to try and bring my blood sugar down and if I couldn't we would need to talk about treatment.

One month after my diagnosis I had to go to my doctor to get checked out for something unrelated. At that point I had lost around 20lbs and I was feeling really good. My doctor was shocked to see my progress! While he was there I confessed to him I was worried that my blood sugar was high and I wasn't currently being treated for it. He told me not to worry about it. If I had come in there having not lost any weight or changed my life we would have been having a different conversation he said. He would have put me on medication and had me go to the eye doctor but since I was trying he had confidence that I could beat it. I said, "You mean people get this diagnosis and don't do anything about it?" I was shocked when he told me a lot of people just give up and would rather be on pills the rest of their lives. I could not believe that.

Today I received the results from my follow up three month blood test and I am happy to say I am now in the normal blood sugar range! I can't believe it! I don't know how to feel right now. In that three months I have completely changed how I ate, walked well over 100 miles, and lost 67 lbs! I didn't know it was possible to feel this good. I am so happy I didn't give up!

This forum has been such a great motivation since I have started to lose weight. Reading about other peoples success has really helped me get my mind where it needs to be to envision my own. I wanted to give back a little bit and post a NSV of my own and hopefully it will help someone else down the line.
Thanks

Replies

• Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Now that is a good news story! Congratulations! Keep up the good work you know you can do it!!!
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making such a difference in your life. Keep up the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great story. Keep it up!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Great news and congrats. I managed to reverse my type 2 diagnosis too though it took me longer to lose the weight. I was originally prescribed quite a lot of metformin but my last hba1c after 4 months without medication was 5.0 so in the middle of the normal zone. The research below helped me immensely. It contends that type 2 is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and losing enough visceral fat can reverse all symptoms.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
  • thomasblastind
    thomasblastind Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I will definitely check out that link.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I am pre-diabetic and only 27 years old and so it is great to hear that you beat it and are doing well! Gives me hope that I can do the same!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Best NSV ever!
  • PurelyLiving
    Options
    Congratulations! I know it takes dedication but it is so worth it to hear those numbers are in the normal range once again, right? Keep it up....you probably feel great now and best part is, after losing 67 you have formed lifestyle changes.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Holy moley! Congratulations! That is a SUPER huge accomplishment! Way to go!!
  • Matrix_Dragon
    Matrix_Dragon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Way to go buddy. That's a very nice/ awesome accomplishment.

I think I speak for everyone when I say " That's a very good story for inspiration "

Cheers bud
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy for you Thomas! Well done!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Way to go buddy. That's a very nice/ awesome accomplishment.

I think I speak for everyone when I say " That's a very good story for inspiration "

Cheers bud

Exactly :drinker: :drinker:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Best NSV Ive had the pleasure of reading, thanks for sharing :smile:
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    good stuff. I just posted your story on my FB page hoping it'll help someone. congratulations and keep it up.
  • angieshubin
    angieshubin Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Great job and keep up the good work :)
  • pinkrose99
    pinkrose99 Posts: 12
    Options
    That's amazing, well done! I have just recently been diagnosed as a diabetic and I didn't know it was possible to reverse it, this has given me a boost to try harder to lose weight, I only wish I had the will power and ability to do it as quickly as you.
    Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure there are alot more people out there thinking like me that once you have diabetes your stuck with it.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    That's a real success!
  • luckyme001
    luckyme001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your NSV made me teary! What a great accomplishment!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT news! Congrats! YOU did it!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well done, sir! High fives to you!

high-five-o.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!