Calorie intake too much or too little?

Options
I'm 5'5 and 200lbs.. I workout 3-5 x a week and eat healthy (for the most part.. Check out my diary!) anyways it's been a month and I haven't lost any weight! I was eating 1350 cals a day in order to lose 2lbs a week..Wondering if maybe I should up my calories to 1800 to lose 1lbs a week? I figured with being 200lbs I should be able to lose 2lbs a week though!? So what the hell? Help!!

Replies

• Mommy2two_2
    Mommy2two_2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Are you being honest with your tracking? Every bite, lick, sip, and taste?
  • in2theblu
    in2theblu Posts: 42
    Options
    Well I'm pretty good with eyeballing portion sizes but I don't weigh my food.. I don't wanna become that obsessed with food that I have to weigh it lol but ya I track ever bite, sip, taste
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    With that much exercise, 1350 seems too little. I'm 209, eat 2200 calories a day and exercise 5-6 days per week. I'm losing 1-1.5 lbs per week. You have to fuel your exercise, and fuel your metabolism. And track ALL your food. You'd be surprised how much you can actually overeat without realizing it. Eyeballing generally does not work.
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Ya I just don't want to become obsessed with my food. With my job I don't have a ton of time to eat during the day so I've been comfortable (not starving) at 1350 but if I need to eat more then I definitely will try that..
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you really, really want to lose-get a food scale. Weigh ALL your solid foods and measure liquids, log everything!
    You WILL lose if you are eating at a deficit.
  • Heza76
    Heza76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree - I bought a digital food scale and it made a big difference. I was eyeballing too, but once I started to weigh/measure on a regular basis, it helped me report more accurately, and portion accordingly. You only have to weigh/measure for a short time to better familiarize yourself with oz and grams; then it's easier to 'eyeball'. I was definitely underestimating meats in particular, and I'm trying to get better at measuring olive oil, etc. What I think is "just a tsp" can sometimes be more like a tablespoon.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably eating way more calories than you think. Even if you don't use the scale forever, give yourself a few weeks using one to get a feel of what different portions look like. You will be shocked.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well I'm pretty good with eyeballing portion sizes but I don't weigh my food.. I don't wanna become that obsessed with food that I have to weigh it lol but ya I track ever bite, sip, taste

I thought I was good with eyeballing portions. I wasn't. I was overlogging chicken (so eating less than I thought I was actually logging), and underlogging hummus.
    If there is no medical reason behind this, most likely you are eating more than you think you are.

I'm not obsessed with my food, and I've had my scale around two weeks now. It's helpful for meal planning and accurately logging my intake.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am not a successful story when it comes to weight loss but I get why some people choose not to use a food scale. Eyeballing is fine too but if it's not working, just eyeball them in smaller portion. Say you eyeball 6 oz chicken currently, cut it down to 4 oz to see what happens...4 oz has to be smaller than your 6 oz, right? if still not working, down to 3 oz...
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's generally a pretty simple science

So I would say its 1 of 2 things
    1). You are either eating / drinking more calories than you think
    2). Medical condition such as a thyroid problem

2 is vary rare but possible, typically people are consuming more calories than they think
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Not a thyroid problem. I've already lost 20ish pounds.. Maybe it's a plateau?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is it NECESSARY to eat as little as 1350 calories? Definitely not... but if you were you would be losing weight, unless for some reason you aren't expending that many calories per day.

A food scale is enormously important... it doesn't make you obsessed with your food, it makes you a smarter and more effective dieter. Would you rather take the time to weigh your food, or be making obsessive threads on MFP asking for help?

What I would recommend is that you figure out your TDEE, start at a more moderate deficit, and then slowly lower calories as your weight loss slows down. In order to do that accurately though, a food scale and even a calorie counting device (such as a bodymedia device, fitbit, etc) will go a long way toward eliminating those unexplained stalls.
  • Mommy2two_2
    Mommy2two_2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Heres the problem. Eyeballing isn't working for you. If you are serious and want to lose weight get a scale! Do this right.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Another option might be just to eat pre-packaged food? I know people don't like this idea but prepacked and weighed food might take out some miscalculation?
  • Stacey0906
    Stacey0906 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi all :) i am recently starting my weight loss journey, however ive had many failed attempts but this time i want to make sure that does not happen again.In the past ive eaten about 85% clean, lowered my calorie intake to about 1200 and i completed 6 weeks of the insanity program. im 5'2 150 pounds the only results ive seen in my last attempt was i lost about 2 inches off my waist and an inch off my hips and only dropped 4 pounds. A typical day for me would be a smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch 85% dark greens and only vinigrette dressings and grilled chicken/ brown rice or quinoa or whole weat pasta for dinner. my snacks include nuts, fruit, yogurt and granola nothing else really ive had 2 cheat meals in 6 weeks and a protein shake 3 times a week after a workout. Im very confused as ive had little to no progress especially on insanity. i know im supposed to burn more than i eat so if i eat 1200 calories a day am i supposed to burn more than that a day? what could i be doing wrong? im quite sedentary except for my insanity and brisks walks in the morning someone please explain the burn/intake for me and any tips are appreciated. im sorry for the lengthy post.