Am I eating too little?

Options
Hello MFP world. I am a 37 year old female. 5'5 and weigh 344 Lb's. I work out 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes with the occasionally swim fest once or twice a week. I really hate working out but I am trying to love it. i am currently set at sedentary. To lose 2 pounds a week i am set at 1820 calories. I weigh and measure all my food, especially carbs, sugar and sodium (Due to medical reasons). I am currently losing nicely, but I have not been at it for very long.

My Question is this, am I eating to little? I can barely eat more then 1500 calories. Once or twice I can get close to my calorie goal, but I have never quite made it to the number, and forget about when I work out. Sometimes the calories I burn are impossible for me to eat back.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Probably not. You're not working out an extreme amount, so likely you're netting a good amount over 1200.

Also looking at your diary - I'd guess you're over estimating calories burned and not using a food scale so you're probably underestimating calories consumed. So really it all works out.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How did you get to 344 pounds of you can't hit 1500 calories? Eat some of those foods stop with the reduced fat low calories stuff and you'll hit it.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For general purposes, keep trying to eat as close to the goal as possible, and stay above 1200 net.

If you can't eat the calories you need supplement with liquids like milk, fruit, or vegetable juices.
  • JaydeTurtle
    JaydeTurtle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Actually I do use a food scale. As I said, i measure and weigh everything. A little OCD about it. I might overestimate calories burned. i don't really know how MFP figures out the numbers.

Good though... I worried.
  • JaydeTurtle
    Options
    I put my body into starvation mode. I would eat one large meal a day and usually it was processed crap that probably was over 1000 or so calories. I am addicted to carbs and sweets. I started this at 354 pounds. My body was not using the fuel and storing as fat because it never knew when it's next meal would be. On top pf that I have a thyroid condition that makes it harder to lose weight. However I am on proper medication for it now. This has been life altering. If I keep going the way i was it will kill me.
  • billymaxmum
    billymaxmum Posts: 25
    Options
    I was interested to read this too as I am often under my calorie target - especially if I exercise. And to think of all the time I spent trying to cut back on my eating to find out it is counter-productive!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. I did not really see a list for what you were drinking other than water. I would suggest drinking juice. Not all nutrients come from foods and if you do not feel you can eat more or switch the types of foods you are eating with higher calorie versions then drinking some juice with your meals could help.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Switch out the low fat stuff for real food. It tastes better and keeps you feeling full longer. MFP calories burned are a little high, but you can probably go with eating back 75% of them and still be in a good deficit.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How did you get to 344 pounds of you can't hit 1500 calories? Eat some of those foods stop with the reduced fat low calories stuff and you'll hit it.

This too.

For godsakes don't do a 90's diet. Cutting the fats isn't necessary. Atleast not in weightloss. When you start working on macros it's debatable.
  • belle0226
    belle0226 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I say eat an amount you are comfortable eating. If you can't get to your goal, at this time with the amount you have to lose, I wouldn't worry about trying to eat more. Your body will let you know if it needs more. You just have to trust what it tells you.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Eat a big yummy spoonful of peanut butter, eat a handful of almonds, a bowl of ice cream with sprinkles, a few hershey kisses.
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have found the advice given here invaluable and what others have shared with you is nutritionally sound, with the exception of one mean person who questioned you, take it all to heart and give it a try, particularly with adding juice and enjoying some of the richer foods instead of the "low-cal" cousins. Just a thought. Overall keep up the good work of taking care of you.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    MY OPINION is that if you can eat all of your calories MFP gives you than go for it. However if you are eating and you get to 1500 calories at the end of the night and you haven't starved yourself all day and have felt satisfied with what you've eaten than don't force yourself to eat more. As long as you are above your 1200 net calories which many people will say you need to function you should be fine. If you exercise then you will usually feel hungrier and it might make getting that higher number easier but if you are at 1500 calories and throughout the day you were hungry and uncomfortable and it made you grumpy or gave you headaches (which happens to me if I don't get enough) then eat more food through the day, you have the room.

Experiment with it. You're going to be at this for awhile you may as well figure out what works for YOU. If you are comfortable adding in some of the things mentioned above in other posts then go for it. Some of those foods are trigger foods for me and right now I would end up over indulging if I tried to add them in just to boost my calories.
  • JaydeTurtle
    Options
    All very great advice. Thank you. I hadn't thought of some of the things that way. It puts a lot into perspective.