Hungry Girl!!! NEW LOVE :)

Options
CuteMommy88
CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
Ok so I have been dying to try a hungry girl recipe!! yesterday I went to the grocery and picked up all I need to have a HG dinner everyday this week---well the days that my boyfirned is home for dinner....no point in cooking a big meal for one and a baby!!! So last night I tried my very first HG recipe---my bf chose the Fish n Chips!!!---I had to share because it was sooooo good!!! and only 304 calories for the whole meal!!! Hope you all try it out and enjoy it as well!! and please share your favorite HG recipes with me too :)

Best Fishes!
We paired our fiber-frying skills with our favorite squash and gave an international pub classic an HG-style makeover. Enjoy, mates. And here's a fun tip... invite a buddy over, double the recipe, and split the work up -- one of you on fish and the other on chips. Par-tay time, people!

Ingredients:

For Fish
6 oz. raw cod, cut into two even "strips"
1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
2 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning, or more to taste
1/8 tsp. onion powder, or more to taste
1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
black pepper, to taste
Optional: fat-free tartar sauce, for dipping

For Chips
6 oz. peeled butternut squash (a little less than half a squash), sliced into French fry shapes
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
Optional: ketchup, for dipping

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

To make the fish, you can use either a broiler pan or toaster oven. (Regular oven will be used for fries, regardless.) Line the bottom of the broiler pan or toaster oven with aluminum foil, and spray the rack with nonstick spray. If using a toaster oven for the fish, preheat it to 450 degrees.

In a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place half of the crumbs in a small bowl, and reserve the other half for the next time you make this recipe. Add panko, garlic powder, Old Bay, onion powder, and salt to the bowl. Season to taste with pepper and, if you like, additional salt and seasonings. Mix well, transfer to a plate, and set aside.

Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture. Place squash in a bowl, add a light mist of nonstick spray, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss squash to evenly distribute salt, and then transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Squash pieces should lie flat on the sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. After you put fries in the oven to bake, move on to your fish.

Place fish strips on a plate, and cover with egg substitute, turning fish over and spreading the egg substitute to coat. Give fish a (gentle!) shake to remove excess egg substitute, and then transfer the strips to the plate with the breadcrumb mixture. Coat fish strips well with crumb mixture by pressing them into the crumbs, flipping them over, and coating the sides. Spray the tops of the breaded fish strips with a light mist of nonstick spray.

Place fish strips on the rack of the broiler pan or toaster oven. If using the broiler pan, place it in the oven.

Cook fish for about 15 minutes, until it is flaky and the tops of the strips are brown and crispy. Plate your fish 'n chips and, if you like, serve with tartar sauce for fish-dunking and ketchup for chip-dipping!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: entire recipe
Calories: 304
Fat: 2.75g
Sodium: 912mg
Carbs: 36.5g
Fiber: 7g
Sugars: 4.5g
Protein: 36.5g

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious!
    I'm gonna save the recipe and try it someday soon.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm that sounds YUMMMMMMMY! Thanks for sharing!
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    love my hungry girl books i bought all 3 and make something out of it several day a week.
    I got the cards u can get and gave them to my dad for chirstmas because the food is so good and the recipes are genrally for one person which is perfect for him since he lives by himself.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!

The butternut chips sound interesting. Was it hard to peel the squash? Did they get crispy only on the outside? Very curious about this aspect of the recipe!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I am so printing this out. I will have to triple the recipe for my house house hold. One for me, one for hubby and 2 for my teen age stepson.
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    I was a little wary of the butternut squash chips myself!! but they were delicious!! almost like a sweet potato fry...a little hard to get them crispy though...I reccomend cutting them pretty thin to get them crispy!
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Ok new HG Love---its a cheesy beefy melt and it is amazing!! and very filling too!only 267 cals!!! i paired it with a half a cup of spanish rice...delish!! Enjoy and share your faves with me :)

I'll Melt With You!
    Everywhere we turn these days, we see print ads and commercials for Taco Bell's Cheesy Beefy Melt. And quite frankly, we were starting to get weak. So we headed on over to The Bell, picked up one of those Melts, scrutinized its cheesy innards, and got busy in the kitchen. The result is this fantabulous swap. Check it out!

Ingredients:
    1 La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortilla, Large (sometimes labeled Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber)
    1/2 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like Boca Ground Burger or Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles)
    1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1/2 wedge The Laughing Cow cheese, Light Original Swiss
    1 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1 tsp. taco seasoning mix
    1/2 tsp. taco sauce

Directions:
    Place frozen soy crumbles, Laughing Cow cheese and taco seasoning mix in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 45 - 60 seconds. Remove, add taco sauce, and mix well. Lay tortilla out on a large microwave-safe plate, and then warm it in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Place the soy crumble mixture in the center of the tortilla. Next, cover the mixture with the shredded cheese. Place the tortilla, open-faced, in the microwave for about 40 seconds (until shredded cheese has melted slightly). Remove plate from the microwave, and place sour cream on top of the melty cheese layer. Then, wrap the tortilla up by first folding in the sides and then rolling it up from the bottom. With the seam side down on the plate, heat the wrap in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Enjoy! MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 Cheesy Beefy Supreme Wrap (entire recipe)
    Calories: 267
    Fat: 6g
    Sodium: 1,460mg
    Carbs: 30g
    Fiber: 16g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protein: 38g
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Ok So I tried a new Hungry Girl recipe tonight and it is amazingly delicious Shepherds Pie!!! Try it!!

Super-Cheesy Crazy-EZ Shepherd's Pie

PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe): 139 calories, 2.5g fat, 842mg sodium, 22g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 10g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*
    Pre-cheesed frozen veggies and instant mashies are what allow us to have a cheese-tastic trio in which cheese is NOT one of the three ingredients! THAT. ROCKS.
    Ingredients:
    One 24-oz. bag (about 6 cups) frozen Green Giant Family Size Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower & Cheese Sauce
    1 pouch Betty Crocker Cheddar & Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
    2 cups frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kind by Boca or Morningstar Farms)
    Optional: salt, black pepper, additional spices
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Place contents of the veggies & sauce bag in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 8 - 10 minutes, until mostly thawed.
    Meanwhile, in a medium-large bowl, combine contents of potato pouch with 2 cups hot water, and stir until thickened. Set aside.
    Spray an 8" X 8" baking pan with nonstick spray. Add soy crumbles to the pan and evenly distribute along the bottom. Evenly spoon saucy vegetables over the soy crumbles. Evenly top with potato mixture, using a spatula or spoon to smooth out the surface.
    Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until filling is hot and potato layer is slightly crispy.
    Divide into sixths. If you like, season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional spices. Enjoy!
    MAKES 6 SERVINGS
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Chicken Taquitos!!!----Amazing!!!!

These li'l Mexican treats are so stuffed, they're almost guaranteed to crack a bit when you bake 'em in the oven -- hence the name "Exploding." De verdad!

Ingredients:
    8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
    One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained well
    1/2 cup salsa
    1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
    Optional: red enchilada sauce, additional salsa, fat-free sour cream, for dipping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling. Set aside.

Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray, and set it aside.

Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable.

Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with nonstick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface. Spoon about 2 heaping tbsp. of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

Bake for 14 - 16 minutes, until crispy. Allow taquitos to cool for 5 minutes. If you like, dunk in enchilada sauce, salsa, or sour cream!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 2 taquitos
    Calories: 197
    Fat: 2.5g
    Sodium: 594mg
    Carbs: 22.5g
    Fiber: 3g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protein: 20.5g
  • windycitywendy
    Options
    These all sound great!! I'm going to have to try them and also check out HG ;)
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Ok so I was doubting this the entire time i was making it....but it is really really good!!! :) I must warn though...do not attempt if you dont have plenty of time to invest...im pretty sure it took me over an hour to make!!! I did however cut out the onions and add onion powder mainly because my hands were so freaking tired of chopping and cutting!!! AHHH but anyway I thought I would share the recipe because even though it took a while to make it is totally delish!!! :) MACARONI SALAD IS NO LONGER OFF LIMITS!!!!

Mac Daddy
    If you're anything like us, you probably avoid macaroni salad -- not out of dislike, but out of fear, due to its reputation for being excessively fattening. What is in that dressing? Various oils? Mayo? Sugar? Egg yolks? AHHHHH! Our new Creamy Dreamy Macaroni Salad is breaking all the fatty rules... Check it out!

Ingredients:

For Salad
    6 oz. (about 1 1/2 cups) uncooked elbow macaroni with at least 2g fiber per 2-oz. serving (like Barilla PLUS)
    2 cups dry broccoli cole slaw
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
    6 large hard-boiled egg whites, chopped

For Dressing
    1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
    1/8 tsp. black pepper, or more to taste
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)

Directions:
    Prepare macaroni according to package instructions. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Allow to cool completely.

Combine all ingredients for dressing in a medium bowl and mix until blended. Set aside.

Add all remaining salad ingredients to the bowl with the cooked macaroni. Add dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until completely chilled. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
    Calories: 126
    Fat: 1g
    Sodium: 393mg
    Carbs: 23g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugars: 3.5g
    Protein: 6g
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    190 Calorie Strawberry Shortcake!!!! Its A-mazing!!!! Trust me and just make one already!!!! :) Your tastebuds and your waist line will not be sorry!!

Short 'n Sweet!
    Strawberries + pound cake + ice cream = good times. Add a little whipped cream and strawberry sauce, and you have a head-explodingly-good dessert. Check it out (and no, your cranium will not actually blow up... so no worries, people).

Ingredients:
    1 shortcake dessert shell (like a Hostess Shortcake Dessert Cup)
    1/3 cup sliced strawberries
    1/3 cup Breyers Double Churn Free fat-free ice cream, Creamy Vanilla
    2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip
    1 tbsp. Smucker's Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves

Directions:
    Mix the preserves with 1/2 tbsp. of hot water to make a strawberry sauce, and then set aside. Place about one-third of the sliced strawberries in the center of the shortcake. Top with the ice cream. Then, place another third of the strawberries on top of the ice cream (or if you want to be all fancy, press them into the ice cream). Drizzle the strawberry syrup over the top. Then squirt your dessert with the Reddi-wip, and top with the remaining strawberries (again, feel free to be fancy and place them prettily around the whipped topping). Enjoy! MAKES 1 SERVING
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good stuff - thanks for sharing!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    yum bump.
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Yummy Delicious Boneless Buffalo wings!!! aaaah heaven :) I served these wings up with light ranch to dip and the HG creamy dreamy macaroni salad!!!!!! :) Enjoy!!!

Buffalo Boneless Wings
    Ready for a crispy, hot boneless buffalo wing swap? You BETTER be. These spicy nuggets will blow your mind! And for an all-out b-wing experience, serve 'em with celery sticks and some low-cal bleu cheese or ranch dressing (mmmm!)...

Ingredients:
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into 10 nugget-shaped pieces
    1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original), ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor
    1 oz. (about 14 crisps) Pringles Light Fat Free Potato Crisps, Barbecue (or another fat-free BBQ-flavored potato chip)
    3 tbsp. Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    dash onion powder
    dash garlic powder
    dash cayenne pepper
    dash black pepper
    dash salt

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Crush potato crisps completely and, in a small dish, mix with cereal crumbs. Add a dash of each of the seasonings and mix well. Place chicken pieces in a separate dish, and cover and toss with Frank's RedHot. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray. Give each chicken piece a shake (so it's not dripping with RedHot), and then coat it evenly with the crumb mixture. Lay the battered nuggets on the baking pan. Place in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the wings over, and return them to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until outsides are crispy and chicken is cooked throughout. MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 5 wings (half of recipe)
    Calories: 175
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 1,153mg**
    Carbs: 14g
    Fiber: 4g
    Sugars: <1g
    Protein: 27g
  • CuteMommy88
    Options
    Oh and for the Buffalo wings I made a buffalo sauce to pour over my BF's----equal parts butter and Frank's red hot sauce!! (he hates the taste of the fiber one) so if you have picky significant others or kids try doing this with theirs!!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Hungry Girl!! I'm so excited for her new 300 meals under 300 calories book to come out this year!

for those of you that aren't familiar with her.. www.hungry-girl.com you can preview all of her books and she has TONS of recipes available right on the website! So far all the muffins/cupcakes are my favorite. Here's one of them, super easy and DELICIOUS:

Yum Yum Brownie Muffins

(1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 37g carbs, 2g, fiber, 2g protein - 4 WW points)

This super-simple 2-ingredient recipe is a Weight Watchers Fave!

1 box devil’s food cake mix
    1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:
    Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl!

Thanks for the recipes...some of them sound great and super easy to make.

And Sam I love those brownies :)
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    Ok so I have been dying to try a hungry girl recipe!! yesterday I went to the grocery and picked up all I need to have a HG dinner everyday this week---well the days that my boyfirned is home for dinner....no point in cooking a big meal for one and a baby!!! So last night I tried my very first HG recipe---my bf chose the Fish n Chips!!!---I had to share because it was sooooo good!!! and only 304 calories for the whole meal!!! Hope you all try it out and enjoy it as well!! and please share your favorite HG recipes with me too :)

Best Fishes!
    We paired our fiber-frying skills with our favorite squash and gave an international pub classic an HG-style makeover. Enjoy, mates. And here's a fun tip... invite a buddy over, double the recipe, and split the work up -- one of you on fish and the other on chips. Par-tay time, people!

Ingredients:

For Fish
    6 oz. raw cod, cut into two even "strips"
    1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    2 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or more to taste
    1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning, or more to taste
    1/8 tsp. onion powder, or more to taste
    black pepper, to taste
    Optional: fat-free tartar sauce, for dipping

For Chips
    6 oz. peeled butternut squash (a little less than half a squash), sliced into French fry shapes
    1/8 tsp. kosher salt
    Optional: ketchup, for dipping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

To make the fish, you can use either a broiler pan or toaster oven. (Regular oven will be used for fries, regardless.) Line the bottom of the broiler pan or toaster oven with aluminum foil, and spray the rack with nonstick spray. If using a toaster oven for the fish, preheat it to 450 degrees.

In a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place half of the crumbs in a small bowl, and reserve the other half for the next time you make this recipe. Add panko, garlic powder, Old Bay, onion powder, and salt to the bowl. Season to taste with pepper and, if you like, additional salt and seasonings. Mix well, transfer to a plate, and set aside.

Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture. Place squash in a bowl, add a light mist of nonstick spray, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss squash to evenly distribute salt, and then transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Squash pieces should lie flat on the sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. After you put fries in the oven to bake, move on to your fish.

Place fish strips on a plate, and cover with egg substitute, turning fish over and spreading the egg substitute to coat. Give fish a (gentle!) shake to remove excess egg substitute, and then transfer the strips to the plate with the breadcrumb mixture. Coat fish strips well with crumb mixture by pressing them into the crumbs, flipping them over, and coating the sides. Spray the tops of the breaded fish strips with a light mist of nonstick spray.

Place fish strips on the rack of the broiler pan or toaster oven. If using the broiler pan, place it in the oven.

Cook fish for about 15 minutes, until it is flaky and the tops of the strips are brown and crispy. Plate your fish 'n chips and, if you like, serve with tartar sauce for fish-dunking and ketchup for chip-dipping!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: entire recipe
    Calories: 304
    Fat: 2.75g
    Sodium: 912mg
    Carbs: 36.5g
    Fiber: 7g
    Sugars: 4.5g
    Protein: 36.5g

Which books are you getting these from?