Popcorn - is this right?

Options
KayJaMikel
KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
I buy Essential Everyday Light butter popcorn, comes with 3 pouches. Each pouch makes 3.5 cups supposedly.

The entry here shows this:

Essential Everyday - Light Butter Popcorn
Servings:
Calories 88 Sodium 48 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 3 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

The box shows 2 tbsp of unpopped is 130 calories (how is this more than popped, I don't know and who the heck eats unpopped popcorn anyway), or 1 cup popped is 25 calories.

So, is it really true I can eat all 3.5 cups of these badboys for 88 calories? I havent yet, but have logged as such and it shows 88 calories for 3.5 cups of popcorn for this brand.

Really, gosh I can eat these all day long then, huh? Just kidding of course but I really can if I wanted to, couldn't I?

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My popcorn is the same way, which makes me not want to eat it. I hope someone has a good answer, so I don't have to call their company to complain.
  • TheMightyPickle
    TheMightyPickle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I have noticed that when I dump the popped pop corn from the bag into a bowl that the inside of the bag is still coated with whatever oils are used as a popping medium and that this would most likely explain the disparity in calories of popped vs unpopped.

BTW if you really want a conundrum how come Jolly Time 100 Calorie Kettle Corn (as stated on front of box) lists the calories per bag popped (the listed serving size) as 110 on the nutrional info panel?

56775602.png
  • MarcieGormanSmith
    Options
    I use an air popper and I spray the popped corn with olive oil Pam and use Lite salt - it's not too bad. I also make sure the corn is organic because if it isn't organic - it's GMO so who knows what that will do to us.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I looked up the label on the package and I do not see where it says 25 calories per cup, it is possible I missed something so kindly correct me if I am mistaken. According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension (URL below) 1 cup of popcorn contains approximately 30 calories. Additionally, 2 tbsp yields approximately 4 cups.

Using the information you provided 2 tbsp = 4 cups of popcorn * 30 calories / cup = 120 Calories. My guess is the additional 10 calories are the company's allowance for seasoning. Any difference between the 130 number and any lower number is probably due to unpopped kernels (probably why the company counts unpopped kernels, it can be hard t calculate % of bag popped at some point in the future).

The other thought that came to me after I typed the above is that perhaps the person who put in the original entry only intended to eat 2/3s of the bag (88 cal / 130 = 0.68)

Either way, my calculations show that the minimum number of calories in the bag assuming a 3.5 cup yield is 110 calorie minimum, not 80. That being said, popcorn is a great whole grain and the website link below is an excellent reference.

Happy Snacking!!!

http://www.uen.org/cte/facs_cabinet/downloads/FoodNutritionI/Popcorn_Recipes.pdf
  • Agator82
    Options
    BTW if you really want a conundrum how come Jolly Time 100 Calorie Kettle Corn (as stated on front of box) lists the calories per bag popped (the listed serving size) as 110 on the [nutritional] info panel?

I'll bite on this one, 10% variance is certainly within tolerance, that is to say 110 calories is approximate to 100. That 10 calories only translates to 0.2% of a pound of fat so unless you are packing 10+ bags of popcorn a day that 10 calories will not truly move the needle.

Additionally, I would state that there will always be some unpopped popcorn. For the purpose of my post above I assumed a 12.5% unpopped rate (which is more than the 10% variance between the marketing hype that the nutrition panel).

It is worth noting that these microwave popcorn product put unpopped kernels on their labels, my guess this is because you cannot truly know how much popcorn will come out of the bag due to the differences microwaves, storage times, cooking times, and personal habits. The unpopped kernel standard provides some definition in a product which has very little.

Plus, let us not forget that marketing is a very powerful tool and because we use a base 10 numbering system we humans are drawn to arbitrary 0 ending numbers. 100 calories is much more compelling than 95, 105, or even 110, and is consistent with the oreo snack packs (which do not provide 4 cups of food).

Just my 2-cents, take it for what you paid for it.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I looked up the label on the package and I do not see where it says 25 calories per cup, it is possible I missed something so kindly correct me if I am mistaken. According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension (URL below) 1 cup of popcorn contains approximately 30 calories. Additionally, 2 tbsp yields approximately 4 cups.

Using the information you provided 2 tbsp = 4 cups of popcorn * 30 calories / cup = 120 Calories. My guess is the additional 10 calories are the company's allowance for seasoning. Any difference between the 130 number and any lower number is probably due to unpopped kernels (probably why the company counts unpopped kernels, it can be hard t calculate % of bag popped at some point in the future).

The other thought that came to me after I typed the above is that perhaps the person who put in the original entry only intended to eat 2/3s of the bag (88 cal / 130 = 0.68)

Either way, my calculations show that the minimum number of calories in the bag assuming a 3.5 cup yield is 110 calorie minimum, not 80. That being said, popcorn is a great whole grain and the website link below is an excellent reference.

Happy Snacking!!!

http://www.uen.org/cte/facs_cabinet/downloads/FoodNutritionI/Popcorn_Recipes.pdf

I have the box in front of me, and although looked the label up online too, and see what you see, my box shows calories 2 tbsp unpopped 130, 1 cup popped 25 . 3.5 cups per package x 25 calories each, equals 87.5 calories, and I picked an entry with a star next to it, thought that meant it was official.

And when I put the entry into my diary, it shows this:

Essential Everyday - Light Butter Popcorn, 3.5 cups popped 88 3 1 0 48 1

So, I dunno, but either way, it is a pretty low-fat snack and does not have ridiculously small portion sizes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole bag- always- so I just put in 5 cups because I think that's what they say roughly a bag pops out to- it's always low calorie and filling so I'm a huge popcorn junkie- doesn't do much for my low carb cutting plan- but meh.
    I get hungry- what's a girl to do!!! :)
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Happy Snacking!!!

I have the box in front of me, and although looked the label up online too, and see what you see, my box shows calories 2 tbsp unpopped 130, 1 cup popped 25 . 3.5 cups per package x 25 calories each, equals 87.5 calories, and I picked an entry with a star next to it, thought that meant it was official.

So, I dunno, but either way, it is a pretty low-fat snack and does not have ridiculously small portion sizes.

The star next to the entry means someone like you or me added the entry to the food database, not that it's official. :)
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole bag- always- so I just put in 5 cups because I think that's what they say roughly a bag pops out to- it's always low calorie and filling so I'm a huge popcorn junkie- doesn't do much for my low carb cutting plan- but meh.

This^^ I eatz the whole bag!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

This^^ I eatz the whole bag!

Yup. Always the whole bag. Yum!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My popcorn is the same way, which makes me not want to eat it. I hope someone has a good answer, so I don't have to call their company to complain.

I log those 100 Calorie packs Pop Smart Mini bags as 100 calories.

Now this is likely a slight overstatement because, the company gives the calorie count for everything that went in the bag when they manufactured it.

BUT take a look at the inside of the bag after you've poured the popped corn into a bowl.......there is stuff clinging to the inside of the bag......that stuff has calories. There are also popcorn seeds (old maids) that did not pop. This "would be" popcorn has calories too, but I'm not eating them. The 100 calories would represent 100% of popped corn & 100% of flavored topping.

You can make your own light pop corn.....weigh the seeds before you pop them & then weigh the unpopped seeds after....subtract the unpopped seeds. The Pam spray (accelerants.....blech!) has calories too....good luck with that calorie count because it's based upon so many seconds of spray.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Let me give all you guys a tip.

I'm not one to fear monger about food. I can guarantee that my popcorn is GMO-ed to the hilt and I'm currently guzzling not one, but TWO artifically sweetened beverages (like, right now. I've got coffee with sugar-free creamer in one hand and a Diet Coke in the other. Don't ask me how I'm typing). With that said...microwave popcorn is scary stuff. The chemicals in those pre-packaged bags are the stuff nightmares and cancer are made from. PLUS, when it comes down to what you're actually eating, it's insanely overpriced.

Here's what you do if you don't want to buy an air popper or mess with stovetop. Take an uncoated plain paper lunch bag. Dump in about enough unpopped bulk popcorn to cover the bottom of the bag in a single layer, give or take (this isn't an exact science here). Don't add anything to it. Fold the top of the bag over a few times, lay it on its side, and put it in the microwave for 2-5 minutes (same rules as regular popcorn, you have to listen for the popping to slow down. Viola! Popcorn.

Measure out the popped kernels that you plan to eat. Use the unstarred "snacks - popcorn, air popped" entry for which 1 cup is 31 calories (if you really want to make my heart happy, weigh the popped corns out in grams instead of cups, that option is there also - 30 grams is 115 calories). Top it with whatever it is you want to top it with (make sure to weigh/measure/log those calories separately).

You can get the equivalent of about 30 microwave bags of popcorn for less $$ than one box of 4 or 5 pre-packaged portions, and you know EXACTLY what's in there and how to measure the calories.
  • Agator82
    Options

This thread has bothered me more than most. The only way the 25 calories / cup popped corn works is if the package yields 5 cups, which does not seem to be the case. This has concerned me to the point that I went to the local Save-a-Lot today (usually shop Aldi) to see if they stocked this brand, but they do not.

Unless those with greater knowledge then us decide to chime in I will have to guess that this is little more than slight of hand on the part of the manufacturer and I would probably take any number off the 130 just to have a buffer, but we are only talking about a swing of 40 calories so in the grand scheme (2% of a 2000 calorie diet) it probably has little effect.

One thing I did learn, popcorn is a better snack then I ever thought before. Happy munching!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Satan himself invented Popcorn math and popcorn nutrition labels.

I only eat the 100 calorie bags just so I don't have to deal with it... (although my 100 calorie bag might be 110 calories - so don't even get me started on that)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Beware of the disease called Popcorn Lung. You can get it from eating these bagged popcorns...

http://www.medicinenet.com/popcorn_lung_symptoms_and_causes/views.htm
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat Orville Red Smart Pop kettle corn and the mini bags have the same calories as the full bag according to the label....has me perplexed.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Here is a super cheap was to eat much healthier popcorn: Buy some brown paper lunch bags and a container of unpopped corn.

Put a TBSP or two of popcorn in the bag, fold it twice, pop it until the pops are almost done. Usually about 2-3 minutes in my low powered microwave.

I top it with a light spray of canola oil (I have an oil sprayer), and a little salt. It's much better and you know what you're eating.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Orville's movie theater popcorn is very similar 25 calories per cup. Nothing here is 100% accurate... the kettle corn is a bit higher...

Either way, a bag of popcorn sure beats a serving of potato chips.... calorie wise...

I like food, rather have the bag than the single serving...

Happy popping....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here is a super cheap was to eat much healthier popcorn: Buy some brown paper lunch bags and a container of unpopped corn.

Put a TBSP or two of popcorn in the bag, fold it twice, pop it until the pops are almost done. Usually about 2-3 minutes in my low powered microwave.

I top it with a light spray of canola oil (I have an oil sprayer), and a little salt. It's much better and you know what you're eating.

I've never been able to get this to work. New popcorn seeds / old popcorn seeds. Higher watt microwave / lower watt microwave. Oil in the bottom of the bag / nothing except popcorn in the bottom of the bag. I get a few popped kernels & lots of un-popped seeds to throw away.....or I get more popped seeds, but burned popcorn.

I have good luck with a Presto MicroPop bowl. I add oil up front so the salt sticks because I don't have an oil sprayer.