Stop absorbing so much light!

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    But, isn't opening and closing the refrigerator door exercising?

You just know we will soon be seeing fridge doors that open at the touch of a button, don't you

I'm old enough to remember when you had to get up and walk 10 feet to turn the TV channel over
    Those were the days.

Color, or black & white?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member

You just know we will soon be seeing fridge doors that open at the touch of a button, don't you

I'm old enough to remember when you had to get up and walk 10 feet to turn the TV channel over
    Those were the days.

Color, or black & white?

Family had a colour TV, but I got my first Black and White portable when I was 16. The amount of times I had to get up to turn the channel over or to adjust the wire aerial, it's no wonder I was skinny!
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Good lord, everyone saying that light must be from the fridge or must be light that contains excess calories, are you serious?
    There are more factors involved in issues like obesity than just self-control. Hormonal, psychological, and environmental factors play large parts.

You wouldn't put all of the blame on someone who was underweight person for being anorexic, would you?
    "Is it the type of psychological disorder that steals calories?"

You're better than this, people.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    lolwut?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member

Those were the days.

Color, or black & white?

Family had a colour TV, but I got my first Black and White portable when I was 16. The amount of times I had to get up to turn the channel over or to adjust the wire aerial, it's no wonder I was skinny!
    I know, right? Luckily there were only four channels, rather than the 3,418 we have to sort through these days!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Good lord, everyone saying that light must be from the fridge or must be light that contains excess calories, are you serious?
    There are more factors involved in issues like obesity than just self-control. Hormonal, psychological, and environmental factors play large parts.

You wouldn't put all of the blame on someone who was underweight person for being anorexic, would you?

humour
    ˈhjuːmə/Submit
    noun
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    2 words...blackout curtains.

And then I can eat what I want and still lose weight, right?

Only if you eat it in 6 small meals a day

Or in the hour after lifting heavy.
  • likitisplit

Whether or not an anorexic person's psychological disorder is being effectively treated, they must eat or they will die. At a certain point, the "why" behind the problem becomes moot - the physical problem needs to be addressed and addressed directly.
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Haha this is brilliant!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    My insomnia is making me fat

Well, it might not be helping in the cortisol/insulin feedback loop.

I'm also growing tusks

:laugh:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I work 11p-7, so I sleep during the day. I've never slept at night my entire life.

You worked the night shift as a child?

I wondered this too
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    I work 11p-7, so I sleep during the day. I've never slept at night my entire life.

I wondered this too
    I guess staying awake all night crying could be the reason?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Then us around the Arctic circle or in close proximity are absolutely screwed during the summer months. The sun is up all night or nearly all night.

Suddenly, it all becomes clear.

walrus.jpg
    Cute.
  • likitisplit

I wondered this too

I bet her Mom got fat. I was totally ravenous until my kids started sleeping through the night.
  • AglaeaC

humour
    ˈhjuːmə/Submit
    noun
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
    Thank you, now I don't have to.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I'm also growing tusks

Time to move north
  • AglaeaC

I wondered this too

I bet her Mom got fat. I was totally ravenous until my kids started sleeping through the night.
    AH! So YOU'RE the one to blame for the decreasing amounts of polar bears!!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    th?id=HN.608039177397276582&pid=15.1
  • likitisplit

I wondered this too

Even worse: when I told my Mom I was using disposable diapers, she thanked me for destroying the planet.

People who think that MFP is mean should never, ever become parents.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member

humour
    ˈhjuːmə/Submit
    noun

Sorry, sometimes the tone of a comment can be lost when it is only expressed via text.
    Energy in ..... Energy Out :-p

Also in the news ...... The increased access to knowledge (via the interweb) has significantly reduced the Average IQ of the Human Race...

I DO, I DO!! Well.... 'small meals' is relative isn't it?

I'm off to find a dark room and the smaller one of a 5 litre and 10 litre tub of ice cream
    stop eating so damn much..
    stop blaming other circumstances for weight gain.

no one is born fat/obese.

I didn't realize that these and other posts were meant in a humorous fashion, please forgive my misunderstanding.

Further, thank you to these posts for providing information related to the issue:

Seriously, presume it is linked to lack of sleep? This can affect hormones linked to fat storage like cortisol and melatonin, so makes sense
    serious answer: lack of sleep can cause excessive hunger, so if exposure to light at night leads to lower quality sleep, then maybe that leads to overeating the next day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

I wondered this too

Even worse: when I told my Mom I was using disposable diapers, she thanked me for destroying the planet.

After our first child was born I was approached/scolded more than once by complete strangers for bottle feeding her while standing there minding my own business. I found myself responding, "yes, it's breast milk I'm not trying to kill my child." Activists . . .
  • AglaeaC

I wondered this too

After our first child was born I was approached/scolded more than once by complete strangers for bottle feeding her while standing there minding my own business. I found myself responding, "yes, it's breast milk I'm not trying to kill my child." Activists . . .
    You could have flashed a boobie and breastfed the kiddo?!? That would have been a sight for sore eyes. Just thinking creatively here.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member

This is the first thing I thought about when I clicked on this topic. Years ago I began having insomnia and around this same time my weight started ballooning up. It was then that I learned of the correlation between insomnia, depression and sugar cravings.

I'm guessing sleeping with too much light leads to poor quality sleep which leads eventually to binges?
  • likitisplit

I wondered this too

Because formula kills, right?

I would have loved to see you suckle your little one. Well, actually it might have made me feel uncomfortable.

I got over my formula issues when my first was 9 months old. I was pumping, hating it, she wasn't drinking from a bottle during the daytime anyway and I realized that if she was drinking apple juice, formula certainly wasn't going to hurt her.

I stopped pumping, nursed her at night and gave her sitter formula to feed her through the day (as much as she would drink) and it was so much easier on everybody.

I nursed my second too, and did the same thing at 9 months.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I thought this was going to some kind of skin cancer topic. I spend a lot of time in the sun, so that stuff interests me.

Anyway, Like others of mentioned. There might be something to what they're saying, but they're leaving out parts that would make the phenomenon a more logical conclusion. It's kind of like the Kevin Bacon Game. This is an entirely different tangent, but google the topic about there being too much light in urban areas for natural human sleep. When humans don't get enough sleep their resolve and discipline begins to wave. When resolve in discipline begin to wave you're more likely to say "screw it, I'll have that (insert vice that contains calories you don't need). Factor in this situation over several years....yeah I can see it too much light during sleeping hours leading to weight gain.
  • likitisplit

humour
    ˈhjuːmə/Submit
    noun

Sorry, sometimes the tone of a comment can be lost when it is only expressed via text.
    Energy in ..... Energy Out :-p

Also in the news ...... The increased access to knowledge (via the interweb) has significantly reduced the Average IQ of the Human Race...

I DO, I DO!! Well.... 'small meals' is relative isn't it?

I'm off to find a dark room and the smaller one of a 5 litre and 10 litre tub of ice cream
    stop eating so damn much..
    stop blaming other circumstances for weight gain.

no one is born fat/obese.

I didn't realize that these and other posts were meant in a humorous fashion, please forgive my misunderstanding.

Further, thank you to these posts for providing information related to the issue:

Seriously, presume it is linked to lack of sleep? This can affect hormones linked to fat storage like cortisol and melatonin, so makes sense
    serious answer: lack of sleep can cause excessive hunger, so if exposure to light at night leads to lower quality sleep, then maybe that leads to overeating the next day.

The bottom line is that you can recognize that an outside force is making it harder. I knew that nursing + not sleeping at night was making it difficult for me to regulate my appetite. It was self-evident.

But the bottom line is that you still have to make choices for yourself.

You can change the situation (sleep in a darker room, even though the article doesn't suggest that there is enough evidence to make that recommendation) or suck it up and and eat less even though it's "harder" for you.

I chose to wait until my kids were a year old, because the situation was temporary and I was already giving all I had.

However, I can tell you that - for whatever reason - some of my friends who do everything right in terms of weight loss and exercise still find it harder than I do. They are just hungrier. A half pound a week loss and they are hungry all the time, even though they eat high fiber, whole foods with balanced macros, etc. Who knows why? They deal with it. They do what they need to do to be fit and healthy.

This is an interesting article and hopefully it will offer a clue that even one person might find useful. But, really, it's kind of a rabbit hole if you aren't already taking care of the big stuff (macros, micros and daily activity).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member

Those were the days.

Color, or black & white?

I know, right? Luckily there were only four channels, rather than the 3,418 we have to sort through these days!

I didn't have to worry about getting up to change the channel, we only got ONE channel! (if the clouds weren't too thick and the wind was blowing just right. :tongue: )
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Who sleeps in the light and why? I've always preferred a pitch black room with room darkening window shades and drapes. Back before I used my phone as my beside clock/alarm, I used to turn clocks on their face because I didn't like the red or green glow they let off. Am I odd in this because I always assumed most people preferred to sleep in the dark.

I was also obese at one time so I guess light didn't play a role in mine at all.
  • likitisplit

Those were the days.

Color, or black & white?

I didn't have to worry about getting up to change the channel, we only got ONE channel! (if the clouds weren't too thick and the wind was blowing just right. :tongue: )

I burned a whole bunch of calories holding the antenna just right while pointing toward the window.