Zumba Classes

Options
Can anyone tell me about Zumba? I love to dance but since gaining so much weight, I just don't feel confident being in a group class setting. Are their any people who felt this way but went anyway and loved it? Sometimes I feel like, when I got to a group class, that everyone must be looking at me and it just makes me a little stressed out. Anyhow, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I took some Zumba classes at work and there were women of all different shapes and skill levels. I am pretty uncoordinated, but I still had fun. I think most people are more worried about themselves than what anyone else is doing.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The zumba classes I've been to have women of all ages, shapes and sizes. There will be people that know every move and do them perfectly and look great doing them, and people that have no clue what's going on. I think they tend to be very welcoming to people of all skill levels. Go and have a good time!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Zumba is partially what you make of it and partially what the instructor makes of it. I've gone to classes where the instructor does really complicated moves, I'm lost the whole time and I don't even break a sweat because I can't follow along.

On the other hand, the class I currently go to is fabulous. The instructor makes it easy to follow along and you can put in as much energy as you want - you can shuffle, you can dance, you can bounce, you can jump. I always leave drenched in sweat and on an energy high. There are probably more than a hundred people there, filling the gym each Saturday morning. Some people you can tell are great dancers. Other people (like me) have 2 left feet. But, everyone has a great time, and I've never felt judged.
  • valynn0312
    valynn0312 Posts: 27
    Options
    When I first started doing Zumba, I stood in the back of the class and messed up EVERY move. There was a lot of muttering from me saying "What? My body doesn't move like this… Uhhh…"
    The first day, I had to sit out almost every other song.

There were people of literally all sizes, from 00 to 24+… and some of us sucked and some of us rocked. The more I went, the better I got. Eventually, I moved up to the front of the class next to the instructor. I was still overweight, but I felt more confident after knowing all of the moves.

Try it. You may love it.

Also remember, it depends a lot on the instructor. I went to one class with an instructor who was pretty awful. But I found the one instructor I liked and stuck with her. I went to every class she offered and just LOVED it.

I quit doing Zumba after she quit teaching it, actually.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not the most coordinated person but I've never felt judged in a Zumba class. If you're feeling uncomfortable about being in an actual class setting, though, they have Zumba DVDs or plenty of instructors post their routines on YouTube for others to try. Maybe it'll help for you to look at and try out some of those to get a feel for Zumba before you go to a real class so you'll know how it works. :)
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Considering that fact that I felt like a thundering rhino the entire time, I never felt judged there was nothing but encouragement from all people. It was fun, and if I couldnt do some of the moves I simply walked or moved in place. It is a fun way to lose weight!
  • remlaw06
    remlaw06 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you think you might be uncomfortable, try going it online first. There are youtube videos for sure.

I have been to a lot of different classes. Like everyone said, it really depends on the instructor. Some are awesome and make it easy to follow along, some expect you to be a professional dancer. But don't give up if you get a bad instructor. Try a different class.

I always stand in the back. I figure, I'm tall and don't want to block anyone and don't want someone short following my wrong moves. But I have an instructor that I love and leave drenched in sweat. It burns a lot of calories if you really get into it and most people in any group class, zumba, yoga, whatever, are way more focused on what they are doing then watching someone else.

Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on the class I guess , but in general I have seen a lot of older and also heavier women in Zumba classes. I usually do one class a week and there are pretty much all women of all body types and shapes, some 15 year old girls, a few very fit women in their 20s, some 30-40 year olds of all shapes, a lady in her late 60s. Surprisingly the absolutely best dancer in the class is a definitely overweight 50 year old woman, who used to be a dancer when younger, and who still has both remarkable stamina and remarkable grace.
    Also if you try it and do not like it, try different instructors. In my gym, one instructor is also a latin dancer and tends to prefer latin music, steps etc, the other is more into hip hop and gets her inspiration from there.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have full dvd set at home, its easier for me being a f/t stay at home mum but also too its more comfortable for me. Its best thing for cardio if you are like me and don't like going for runs lol