reasurrance needed

Options
Hi there,
I've never posted in this forum, although have been on MFP for about 2 years now.

When I first started out, my sister and I started to loose weight together. I done really well, but think that I became complacent with my plan. Started skipping meals in order to have more food at the weekend, over eating, over drinking, putting on weight, loosing a bit again. And basically i've got to the point where i'm loosing a few lbs, then gaining it back, and i'm fed up.

I've got a history of bullimia, have yo yo dieted most of my adult life, usually undereating, then bingeing. Vicious cycle eh?

My old plan was to eat as little as possible (1200 calories, with room to earn more with exercise). I've been told by a very healthy guy that I work with (who incidentally is on MFP, so may well read this) that i'm undereating by quite a lot. He gave me a very interesting talk to tell me where i'm going wrong, gave me some excellent information, and I feel ready to face Monday (although have started today), with the new attitude that i'm fed up with the back and forth and want to actually see results!!!

I'm 5ft 3in, I weigh 177lbs, I exercise in the gym (cardio and weights) 3 times a week, as well as walking to and from the station everyday (25 minutes each way), and am quite active at home and at the weekend. We used an online tool to calculate how many cals I should be eating, and it turns out I should be eating around 1800 a day. Obviously the right foods (not the 600 cals on a bottle of wine, 400 cals on a sausage sandwich etc that i'm used to doing).

My new plan includes a balanced diet (which to be incredibly honest, i've never done), including swapping white grains for brown, eating more fruit and veg, eating more often to stop myself getting hungry, and keep my metobollic rate up, and bascially looking after my body.

What do you think?
I feel nervous from going from 1200 cals (Ok with the wrong foods), to 1800 (of the right foods).

Louise x

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well, think of it this way. Doing what you've been doing hasn't been working so why not try the new method? Give it at least two months of consistent logging and see what happens...

The only other thing I'd add is to make sure your logging is also accurate. Weigh and measure food (mostly weigh) and check the MFP food database listings you're using against labels or other nutrition data sources to make sure they're right. In other words, make sure you're being realistic. For instance, I'm thinking 400 for a sausage sandwich is awfully low. But I don't know how big that sandwich is or what kind of sausage you're using.

I like using the USDA database - link below:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Good luck!!
  • NMgirl2006
    NMgirl2006 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I thing going to 1800 calories will help you to feel more satisified....also if you are undereating you body may be retaining the fat becasue it feels starved. How about adding more protien = add a whey smoother for just 160 calories and it will keep you filled up for hrs not to mention - if they are done right its like eating a milkshake it tricks your brain into thinking its a treat when its a healthy snack.

Its hard to change and can be scary but it may just be what your body needs to go onto success :)
  • jlojgirl
    jlojgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I'm usually quite realistic - some of the options that come up when you type something into the search bar make me laugh at how unrealistic people are - a roast dinner - 400 cals? Yeah right.
    My sausage sandwich would usually consist of 2 medium white bread (210) and 2 grilled richmond sausages (100 each) - ok, so maybe 450 once i've added my 8g of lurpack lighter.

I'm going to give it a right go for at least a couple of months, and see how I get on. I'm fed up with being one of those people who is constantly on a diet and never loosing any weight. I actually get irritated with friends of mine who constantly say 'the diet starts on Monday' then 3 days later, they're boasting about the 2 bottles of wine they drunk the night before and the fry they need to get over the hangover.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Since you exercise regularly, 1800 a day seems to be a reasonable amount to me.

Healthier foods will also be a major boon. More vitamins and minerals will do wonders for improving mood and overall health.

You seem on the right track. Give it time and if things not working as expected, make small changes and always ask here for input!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: Try it for a month or two, then evaluate:
    Did you new eating regimine make you feel any different? Do you have more/less energy? Did you lose weight? etc. For example, maybe you can try it for the month of June. At the end of June, step back and see what you think, and at that point, you can decide to try it another month (July), or quit and do something else, or maybe fine-tune it in some way.