Hard for me to eat all 1,200 calories a day?

Options
I can't always log my calories into MFP due to lack of internet, but I generally eat the same things everyday, and it's really hard for me to eat 1,200 calories. I usually end up eating anywhere from 600-1000 in one day. I'm 5'7 and 162 pounds. I'm having a hard time losing weight, but I'm eating and exercising well- just not enough eating? I actually feel like I'm going to throw up if I ever eat around 1,200 calories in one day. Is it true that if I eat more (of the healthy food) that I'll lose weight faster? How do I increase my appetite? I'm so confused on how much to eat to lose weight, because everyone says something completely different. Thank you!

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies and protein and eat MORE, that sounds way too low, you don't have that much to lose.

If you can't eat it, drink it, smoothies, protein shakes, etc.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    And here we go. In just because????????
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie minimum is more about long-term satisfaction and nutrition than weight loss. It's very hard to get all of the vitamins, minerals, fats, protein, etc. that you need on 600 calories a day.

Assuming that your logging is accurate and you're eating as little as you think, look for more calorie dense foods to add to your diet. Nuts, nut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, full fat dairy, cheese, sour cream, ice cream, Greek yogurt, avocado, guacamole, full calorie dressings and sauces, protein shakes and smoothies, dark chocolate, less lean cuts of meat, etc. These give you more calories without making you add a lot of extra food to your stomach.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing isn't working, it seems only logical to try something else.

While starvation mode as its generally thought is a myth - the truth is your body will not function properly if you don't give it enough nutrition and fuel.

To eat more, simply increase portions of what you're having now. And substitute full fat (cheese, condiments, etc.) for low fat options you now use. Have some peanut butter or hummus with your veggies. Have a bigger serving of protein. Have some rice w/ your meal. Even enjoy a candy bar every now & then.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Increase your appetite by eating more food. Honestly. Long term under-eating does a number on your appetite.

Eat more food without feeling stuffed or needing to throw up by eating more calorie dense foods. It's possible you might have to rethink what the "healthy stuff" is. Don't be afraid of fat, for example. In fact, when you're struggling to get calories in, fat is what you should be going for. Not only that, but dietary fat is really important for your health. Go for things like nuts, seeds, eggs, cheese, chocolate, avocados, full fat dairy, olive oil, oily fish etc. All very nutritious, but more calorie dense.

Stop eating the reduced calorie or diet foods (eg. Sara Lee 45 cal a slice bread - eat proper, tasty, calorific bread instead.)

I don't know if you're a vegan, going off some of your diary entries, but if you are, you still need to aim for the higher fat stuff. Add oil to salads and cook with oil. Make use of nuts and nut butters, houmous etc.

Drinking your calories can be easier if you already feel full, so full fat milk, smoothies, protein shakes (if you are vegan, you can get vegan protein powders).

Also, experiment with meal timing/frequency. A lot of people who are trying to eat more find it helpful to have more meals spread throughout the day so they're not trying to cram it all in before bedtime.

Try these strategies and you should find that your appetite returns. If not, consider that either there are psychological issues holding you back from eating enough, or that there may be a physical issue underlying it for which you might need to see your doctor.

Not eating enough won't stop you from losing weight but it will mean that a lot of the weight you lose will be lean mass (you know, the good stuff like muscle and bone density), and that your hormones get all messed up, and that you have no energy and your immune system suffers, and basically you have a whole lot of trouble trying to maintain a healthy weight later on.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating Disorder.

Literally. If you cannot imagine yourself eating even 1200 calories a day, it is an eating disorder.

Might be more suitable for you to discuss this with a doctor and a dietitian than random internet folk.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    Before you started on MFP, how many calories were you eating in a day? I don't know, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden someone can't eat to or above 1200 calories a day.

Now maybe you have a fear of gaining weight or you're desperate to lose weight so you may be ignoring your hunger.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can't always log my calories into MFP due to lack of internet, but I generally eat the same things everyday, and it's really hard for me to eat 1,200 calories. I usually end up eating anywhere from 600-1000 in one day. I'm 5'7 and 162 pounds. I'm having a hard time losing weight, but I'm eating and exercising well- just not enough eating? I actually feel like I'm going to throw up if I ever eat around 1,200 calories in one day. Is it true that if I eat more (of the healthy food) that I'll lose weight faster? How do I increase my appetite? I'm so confused on how much to eat to lose weight, because everyone says something completely different. Thank you!

There is fast weight loss & there is healthy weight loss. Under feeding daily is not healthy weight loss.

Why do many people exercise .....the best reasons....for health & fitness. Your body needs enough fuel for working out. Calories are fuel. Your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. are already using calories 24/7.....adding exercise to the mix means fewer calories for these basic functions.

Calorie dense foods.......nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado.....small portions....big calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat what you were eating before, just in moderation!!!! Your body needs fuel!!!!!
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, it looks like you aren't eating any snacks and you don't eat dinner. Like, ever.

If you really want to eat more you have to just do that. Eat more. Get 3 meals and 2 snacks a day of HEALTHY food. It looked like you ate out a lot from what I saw.

If you are scared to eat more, then you might possible have some problems and you need to talk to somebody.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Two words: Peanut butter

ETA: You also posted multiple topics about weight loss. You even stated you use to eat 3,000 calories in one. You are capable of eating that much, you just don't want to. I would suggest seeking help from a professional. Or losing weight the healthy way with a 1 lb. loss a week.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Are you estimating your food amounts or weighing/measuring? Are you remembering to add all those small items like Vegi Dip, Ketchup, coffee condements, juice. I bought a kitchen scale ($15) and a steak that I would of thought was 8oz was actually 14oz. Also I was gonna have some potato chips and when I actually weighed out the 2 Oz serving and saw how little it actually was, I just put them back in the bag cause it wasn't worth it to me. Just make sure you are accurately counting your calories, and be careful of the calorie content on some of the items in the data base, some are extremely lower than what they should be.
  • melnearf919
    melnearf919 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have a hard time eating 1200 calories. In the last two weeks I quit drinking soda upped my exercise routine and eating really good. I lost 2 pounds that first week and the second week I gained 4 pounds. I don't understand why but I'm gonna keep at it!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you need to do is start logging all of your food accurately to see exactly how much you are eating. Write your food down for later logging when you don't have access to the internet. Also start logging your exercise as well. That will give you a better idea of what your net calories are. If you are only eating 600-1000 calories and exercising you should be losing weight unless you have a medical condition that you are unaware of.

As someone already said, chronic undereating changes your appetite. You can try adding 100 calories a week until you are eating at your goal, that's another spoon of peanut butter or a handful of nuts a day. Not that much.

I'd also suggest a digital food scale to start weighing your food and measuring cups and spoons are not accurate for solids.

Read these links as they are very helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you are not weighing your food or accounting for everything, you are not eating that little. My main question would be if you can not eat 1200 calories a day, how did you gain any extra weight? If you are weighing and counting EVERYTHING and not losing on less than heck 1500 calories a day, you need to see a doctor.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    some healthy foods will give you calories really quickly without making you feel crazy full. try adding quinoa or black beans to salads or adding peanut butter to a banana. that's a quick way to add an additional 100 calories to a meal or snack.
  • grandloves
    grandloves Posts: 18
    Options
    If you can't even eat 1,200 calories a day, how exactly did you get to the point where you're now trying to lose weight?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have a hard time eating 1200 calories. In the last two weeks I quit drinking soda upped my exercise routine and eating really good. I lost 2 pounds that first week and the second week I gained 4 pounds. I don't understand why but I'm gonna keep at it!

Since you upped your exercise you probably gained water weight, which is completely normal.

And you need to fuel you body for increased exercise by eating more, especially protein.