Anyone else want to kick sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sugar is so tasty and sweet. First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women. Mmmmm, sugar
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sugar is so tasty and sweet. First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women. Mmmmm, sugar

and then you get the

gghZ6B9l.jpg

I'm just kidding. Sugar is awesome! And it's so so sweet!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The "no food left behind" people will always be the no food left behind people. As a diabetic, I'll tell you, staying under 6 grams of sugar per day is HARD. I don't think I could manage NO sugar, heck, even the old yellow box of disgusting plain Cheerios has a gram.

What level of sugar are you aiming for? Are you going to count the sugar from fruit (I do, cause I have to) or carbs?

Also, why is Diabetes the only DISEASE people make fun of? I don't see any awesome gifs for cancer. Not cool.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lqywgqvtol1qjgyuwo1_500.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    slide_320784_3001061_free.gif

Good luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

and then you get the

gghZ6B9l.jpg

I'm just kidding. Sugar is awesome! And it's so so sweet!

This made my Friday :flowerforyou:

thanks!
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The "no food left behind" people will always be the no food left behind people. As a diabetic, I'll tell you, staying under 6 grams of sugar per day is HARD. I don't think I could manage NO sugar, heck, even the old yellow box of disgusting plain Cheerios has a gram.

What level of sugar are you aiming for? Are you going to count the sugar from fruit (I do, cause I have to) or carbs?

Also, why is Diabetes the only DISEASE people make fun of? I don't see any awesome gifs for cancer. Not cool.

I'm not going too crazy with it - just no added sugar to begin with and no obvious things like cookies, soft drinks, candy, etc. I think the people who want to do this know what their problem sweets are and can decide for themselves what to limit or eliminate.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up (get it, crack). Anyway, I am like the person who posted that it is a problem for her and it leads to more sugar, poor eating so I plan to cut it out of my diet and this is week 1 for me.

I have a suggestion for a different kind of challenge. For one week, pre-log your food. Plan for a small treat, something you love, each day. For me, it's often a small piece of dark chocolate or a small serving of ice cream. If you know you have something to look forward to, and the amount is pre-logged, you may find you will not overindulge. At the very least you may find the beginnings of building the ability to have sweets in moderation.

I have found that denying myself something I love is the best way to eventually binge on that item.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I eliminated a lack of willpower and actually increased the frequency of my sweet treats while decreasing the total mass of sweetness. It has actually worked wonders for my waistline and my mood.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

b01fe6e2cb7f3742fd69cf17711b90377bf91dd19dfaebb66a2965fa7a901af7.jpg
  • Clarifications
    Options
    Added Sugar can "fit macros" all you want,doesn't mean
    It's in any way,shape,or form healthy. It's not.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

it's no different than sugar from fruit. The only difference is with fruit you can get fiber and vitamins. If you've already met your nutrient needs for the day, wth does it matter? Medical conditions aside. Healthy is in terms of a person's whole diet not individual foods.

You don't get extra credit for getting more nutrients than what your body requires -Eric Helms.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1112412--the-problem-with-sugar-is-your-problem-with-sugar?hl=Your+problem+with+sugar
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

If it's not unhealthy, then how is it not healthy?
  • chhabra_sanjiv
    chhabra_sanjiv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I so need to kill my cravings. My sugar cravings (huge cravings) are the only one that kill my will power on being 100% vegan. I end up having that odd chocolate or cookie which has milk solids!
    My only questions here are:
    1. Isn't a certain amount of sugar necessary for our bodies? Also will this ned not vary with age, weight, climate, and most of all EXERCISE? I run around 40 miles a week
    2. What is allowed and what not, in particular:
    Sports drink
    Fruits
    Jam
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    I so need to kill my cravings. My sugar cravings (huge cravings) are the only one that kill my will power on being 100% vegan. I end up having that odd chocolate or cookie which has milk solids!
    My only questions here are:
    1. Isn't a certain amount of sugar necessary for our bodies? Also will this ned not vary with age, weight, climate, and most of all EXERCISE? I run around 40 miles a week
    2. What is allowed and what not, in particular:
    Sports drink
    Fruits
    Jam

You run so much, you do need the carbs. I meant this as basically eliminating/limiting the sugar laden things that end up taking you down a bad path of more of the same, such as donuts, cookies, ice cream, candy...the obvious things for me that lead to days of more of the same and the self-loathing that goes along with it.
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    Completed Friday, day 1. I wish I could say it was easy, but was doing a lot of craving and coming very close to falling off the wagon before I even started.....but I managed to handle the cravings and complete day 1. Already feeling better and not so much craving yet today.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    TMS.gif

200_s.gif

a8W7j2p_460sa.gif
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Nicely put. My mother died last year from complications caused by type two diabetes. It's just as serious as cancer. Her telling me just before she died "Whatever else you do get healthy." Was the kick in the butt I needed. (unfortunately) I have no desire to 'kick sugar' Myself, but it's great to want to greatly cut down especially for people with early diabetes, as per the OP's profile.