Running Watch Reccommendation

Options
indunna
indunna Posts: 221 Member
I have recently graduated from treadmill running to outdoor running. Up to now I have been using my treadmill to track pace and distance and my Polar FT4 to track heart rate. Outdoor running means I need a new way to track pace and distance.

Any recommendations for a running watch that combines the 3 functions 1) heart rate, 2) pace 3) distance???

I'm really not interested in extra functionality if it increases price or makes the device more difficult to use. My criteria are: 1) accurate 2) comfortable 3) easy to use.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin is the industry leader in this space. They have several models, starting pretty simple and increasing in price and features. Personally, I would never consider any other brand.
  • indunna
    Options
    I know Garamin is the industry leader and looked at their website. Frankly I was overwhelmed by the number of choices and hoping for a user perspective on which model is right for my needs. I also know that polar has been trying to enter this space and wonder of any of their models is worth consideration as I have been quite satisfied with my polar HRM.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm really not interested in extra functionality if it increases price or makes the device more difficult to use. My criteria are: 1) accurate 2) comfortable 3) easy to use.
    I agree with Carson, Garmin is the way to go.

1. Most GPS watches are going to be fairly accurate. You get attachments like HR straps, foot pods, etc. to give you even more data than speed and distance.
    2. Some GPS watches can be bulky. You might want to physically hold one before purchasing to make sure it's not too big. My wife is only 5 foot tall and some of the Garmin watches look like she has a laptop strapped to her wrist. :)
    3. The more features the more complex it's going to be. My 910xt has a ton of features and can be overwhelming if your not sure what do it all of them.

Check out this guys site: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
    Lots of useful info!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Garmin and even TomTom's recent version are viable options. As previously mentioned, there are versions with tons of features but I'd recommend an honest self assessment and decide how crazy you want to get with things before you go dropping hundreds of dollars on a shiny toy that you might never touch all of the bells and whistles on. If all you plan on doing is running and want GPS and HR functionality then the Garmin 15 (brand new release), 110, 210, and 220 along with the TomTom runner watch might meet your needs and price goals. If you plan on cycling or swimming, check the reviews before buying. Some running focused watches don't do as well as multifunction tools.

One thing to pay attention to is the heart rate functionality ... some come with the strap, some don't, and for those that don't compatibility can become an issue (bluetooth vs BLE vs ANT+).

dcrainmaker.com is a great resource when comparing GPS watches. I actually brought that site up while in the store when making my last running toy purchase.

All of that said ... I really want the Polar V800. It's more GPS/HRM than I need and costly ... but I want it. Tantrums haven't yet convinced the wife to release the money for me to get one.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405, and I've had it for 5-6 years. It still works great (despite several months-long periods of being totally dead because I wasn't using it) and is quite reliable, plus it's comfortable and fits well even though I have really small wrists. The new models look cool, and smaller, but I haven't read any reviews of them/their accuracy yet.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Base what you buy off of what your long term goals are. For example, if you plan to one day do a marathon then puchase a watch that will have enough battery life to support it, etc.... If you plan to do multi-sport events then invest in a watch that does cycling, swimming and running.

Most GPS watches either come with a HRM or you can buy it as an accessory to them.

I have both a Garmin 210 and a TomTom Runner. The TomTom runner is what I started out with, and I love it. The only downside is that I am now getting into marathon territory and the battery life just isn't going to support my runs later on. So....I bought the Garmin 210.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for a running watch that combines the 3 functions 1) heart rate, 2) pace 3) distance???

Thanks in advance for any advise!

I have Garmin Forerunner 220. I'm a techie by profession however when running or when outdoors I have nothing to do with technology. I like to see my performance #s and give them to me as easily and quickly as possible.

That being said this is a GPS water resistant watch and also bought a heart rate monitor strap . It does all that you have listed 1) heart rate, 2) pace 3) distance

Is it accurate? Yes. 99% of time.
    Is it comfortable? All the time to me.
    Is it easy to use? Very Easy.

Last week my heart rate was way off (too less). My dear MFP friends told me "use spit technology" ... apparently spit is thicker than water. :wink:

Have fun.

Edited - for grammar
  • indunna
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am thinking 5 to 10k distances for now (most of my indoor runs are in the 4 to 6 mile range). If I up the ante at all it would most likely be to add cycling and swimming to the mix rather than to increase my run distances but I hesitate to buy with multi sport functionality as a criteria as I don't have a concrete plan in that direction. Meanwhile, of course, it only took a few months for me to grow out of the polar ft4 that I thought I saved money on because I didn't need pace and distance functionaliy at the time...

Can I ask the above poster what makes him salivate so for the polar 800? And what I may be sad not to have if I go with the garamin 15? Also, good point on the size issue that 2 of you made - my wrists are reasonably small so something in a "ladies" model may be a plus.

Going out for a run before it gets too hot. Keep the advice coming you experienced runners out there!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 10 and love it. It's not overly fancy but it seems to be very accurate and was around $100. The biggest benefit for me is you see immediate results, you do not have to connect to a computer or have a smart phone or anything like that. I do not have the HRM, thought I wanted it but have found I really don't need it and you might find you don't either. If you have friends that are runners you should ask around you might find one of them willing to let you take theirs for a test run.

Editing to add this. I have super small wrists and the Garmin (ladies) I have fits pretty well and doesn't move when I run, stays put and is nice and light so you really don't know you're wearing it until it give you that beep to tick off another mile.

I would suggest though that if you think you might even add cycling or swimming you really might want to make the investment into one that will track all that stuff now otherwise you really aren't saving money if you end up spending $100+ now and then want the more advanced version later.
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Garmin 110 all the way! I love mine! I did get the one with the heart rate monitor because that gives a more accurate calorie burn, but I got it on ebay for 100. The only thing is, if you're anything like me, constantly seeing my pace while I run messes with my head a bit and I end up pushing myself hard, even on my easy days...
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you're into triathlons, check out Garmin Fenix 2 watch

Has functionality for swim, bike, and run, and ANT+ connectivity to sensors. BTLE connectivity to iOS devices for uploading/smartwatch capability.

Plus a bazillion other GPS outdoor features.

I gave the earlier model Fenix 1 and I love it. Doesn't have swim functionality, but has run and bike. Is a bit cheaper now that the Fenix 2 came out.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Garmin, as everyone else says here. Timex also makes a good watch but I have a Garmin FR610, my wife a Garmin F10. I know the 110 and 220 have HRM's available. The 610,910 and some of the others may be information overload to you if your not into all the numbers and just want the basics. Plus it all depends on how much you want to spend. If you want in depth reviews you can go to .... ( http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ ). You can get all the reviews from his website and make the decision you think is most affordable to you. If I were to suggest any it would be either the FR220 or the FR110 with HRM. I hope that helps.
  • Ftw37
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE with the DC Rainmaker site as a place to start. (see link from dan323 above).
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Fellrnr is an ultra marathoner who spends lots of time and money reviewing running gear, as well as telling people how he trains for 100 mile runs.
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Fellrnr is an ultra marathoner who spends lots of time and money reviewing running gear, as well as telling people how he trains for 100 mile runs.
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

And be sure and check out his comments about GPS accuracy: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy
    As there is nothing like having the GPS tell you that you ran off a cliff, through 3 houses, and ran 1/2 a mile less than you actually did.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Has functionality for swim, bike, and run, and ANT+ connectivity to sensors. BTLE connectivity to iOS devices for uploading/smartwatch capability.

I gave the earlier model Fenix 1 and I love it. Doesn't have swim functionality, but has run and bike. Is a bit cheaper now that the Fenix 2 came out.

The big issue with the Fenix is the time between GPS fixes. It is passable as a run watch but designed more for for slower, longer duration activities such as hiking, orienteering, camping, etc.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am thinking 5 to 10k distances for now (most of my indoor runs are in the 4 to 6 mile range). If I up the ante at all it would most likely be to add cycling and swimming to the mix rather than to increase my run distances but I hesitate to buy with multi sport functionality as a criteria as I don't have a concrete plan in that direction. Meanwhile, of course, it only took a few months for me to grow out of the polar ft4 that I thought I saved money on because I didn't need pace and distance functionaliy at the time...

Can I ask the above poster what makes him salivate so for the polar 800? And what I may be sad not to have if I go with the garamin 15? Also, good point on the size issue that 2 of you made - my wrists are reasonably small so something in a "ladies" model may be a plus.

Going out for a run before it gets too hot. Keep the advice coming you experienced runners out there!

The v800 does everything from cycling, running, indoor and open water swimming, heart rate, all day activity monitoring, triathlon transition area tracking, etc ... it's a wonderful new shiny toy with everything. At $400 for the watch alone, it isn't in my budget.

For what you say you want to do, the Garmin 15/110/210/220, TomTom runner or multisport are great tools. Polar systems with integrated GPS start at around $280 list price which is above the Garmins and TomToms.
  • Ftw37
    Options

The big issue with the Fenix is the time between GPS fixes. It is passable as a run watch but designed more for for slower, longer duration activities such as hiking, orienteering, camping, etc.

I suppose. I get a one-measurement-per-second resolution during my runs with the Fenix. I wasn't aware faster measurement speeds were possible.+
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I will add my $0.02 for my Timex Global Trainer. The GPS accuracy seems to be pretty good (+/- 0.1 miles after a marathon is 0.3%). Battery life is good for at least 5 hrs, which works out to several training runs or a single marathon for me. I usually recharge it before it gets to half charged. It can be purchased with a HRM and footpod (for indoor use or any time you lose GPS). It collects a ton of data (if you need it). Has 5 different displays that can be customized to different sports, or to display everything you want for one sport.