Sleep Apnea - for those who have lost >100 lbs

Options
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost 11 years ago and have since been sleeping with a CPAP.

Has anyone who has sleep apnea been able to stop using the mask after they've lost a significant amount of weight?

Replies

• LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Same thing for my sister. I'm bumping this for her.
  • homepage007
    homepage007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 4 years ago, and almost every one in my support group that lost any significant weight quit using their sleep apnea equipment. I believe that is very common with weight loss.
  • Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    My mother also has sleep apnoe and the main reasons were, a short body, big breasts and a big abdomen. The combination of these 3 makes the area for the lungs to grow and fill with air really small. Because the lungs cannot grow in the direction of the waist and on top of it, the breasts press on the lungs. So I think if you'd loose weight, your sleep apnoe will be cured. Sometimes they advice breast surgery, to make the breasts smaller, but the abdomen / waist give more problems.
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 4 years ago, and almost every one in my support group that lost any significant weight quit using their sleep apnea equipment. I believe that is very common with weight loss.

Oh I hope so! It can be such a pain. I would love to be able to just lay down and go to sleep at night and not have to deal with getting all geared up.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost 11 years ago and have since been sleeping with a CPAP.

Has anyone who has sleep apnea been able to stop using the mask after they've lost a significant amount of weight?

Yes, I no longer use a CPAP. I did not find out Sleep Apnea until 2003 and used it about a year and a half. I never went back to be re-tested and I probably should. But I know I am no longer a sleepy head like I was 200 pounds ago. I was falling asleep at the wheel and I did not know why. Now that I know the symtoms I will go to doctor if they re-surface.
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I was "officially" diagnosed with sleep apnea in April 2010 although I've known for quite some time that I had it. I sooooo look forward to the day when I don't have to wear the mask anymore. While I do love getting good quality sleep, I hate having to wear that mask!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the results from my last sleep study to see if I still need the CPAP. I've been using it since 2004. The pressure was up to 13 and is currently at 7. My doctor doesn't think I need it anymore but wants me to continue using it until I get the results back. Here's hoping.
  • ashton0703
    Options
    I work for a Sleep Center in TN. Some apnea can be cured with weight loss-especially cases that are mild to moderate. A repeat study is a must after you hit your target weight to see if you still have apnea or not. Some people loss the weight and still need there CPAP/BiPAP, some then qualify for other treatment options like an oral appliance, and some people don't need anything. No matter what have a repeat study....Gotta take care of your heart :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!