Hard for me to eat all 1,200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• JaydeTurtle
    JaydeTurtle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a larger girl with more calories to eat. However I had the same problem. 37 years of not eating more than one meal a day put me into starvation mode. Therefore my body stored the energy in fat instead of using it. After speaking with my nutritionist and doctor they have me eating 6 small meals a day but have me bulking up my proteins and lowing my carbs and sugars. I also received advice last night about drinking my calories as well.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Yes, how did you get to a point that you needed to LOSE weight if you can't even stomach 1200 measly calories?
    And, haven't I seen this post before?
    yep.....many many many many many many times \m/
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First off, /ignore the trolls.

Second, I know where your coming from. At times, I have found it hard to reach a calorie goal for a specific day, but the real trick, as has been mentioned, is Calorie dense foods.

But, calorie dense doesn't mean crap food, like Chocolate or sugar infused spreads etc. The simplest way to increase your calorie intake, is to increase the portion size of your current meals in the beginning. For example, if your having 40g of Porridge for breakfast and that works out at 200 calories, just increase the porridge by 10-20g, and that will increase the calorie intake.

Do the same for each meal, just do gradual increments. DO NOT jump from 800 calories to 1500 in one fail swoop. It will have the opposite effect and confuse the body. Increase it gradually over the course of 7-10 days or longer if needs be, till your comfortable again with the portion sizes.

The other slightly quicker fix, is to use snacks. Low fat Fruit yoghurts are a good way. You can add 100-150 calories per pot. Being low fat, it will help you control the fats in your diet, and having fruit in them, will help increase your carbs and sugar slightly, which will help fuel your exercise.

People say "Everything in Moderation".....

Well, that goes for increases, as well as decreases.
  • skyblue2001
    skyblue2001 Posts: 19
    Options
    . I've always been skinny fat, so now I'm lifting and trying to eat at a slight deficit, but see sometimes at the end of the day, I need more calories, but I really just don't want them.

I hope you get some great advice. Don't let the negative bother you. Not all of us are designed to throw down 2000 calories a day. but like you, I would like to find a way to eat more without feeling stuffed.

I'm sorry but what exactly is it that you're lifting? I lift and on the days I don't lift I eat 1800 - 2000 calories and on my lifting days I eat 2200 - 2400, sometimes a little more.

I am not skinny fat, I never have been so I can't even start to understand it but I am, lets say, "thick fit" ha ha . . . I am a lifter and my body is not a thin body type - I can gain very quickly if my balance between calories in and calories out isn't looked after - like I am sure a lot of people on here experience. I just have a very hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you can lift anything other than an iphone on less than or around 1200 calories, especially on a lifting day.

I've been lifting as heavy as I can for almost 4 months. I am a type 2 diabetic (well controlled) with pcos so I cannot tolerate carbs. Keeping carbs lower makes it hard to get more calories. I try to stay well under 150 carbs a day to keep blood sugar under control. If my weight gets too low, I up my medication and eat more carbs to get weight on. It goes on so easily that I sometimes, (which is now) count calories and carbs to get it back down. When I'm at my goal weight, I tend not to eat much because I just don't have the desire to which lowers my weight and starts the cycle all over. I just want the blood sugar controlled.

I have plenty of energy, I lift, I run on the treadmill. I see the doctor every six months and get full bloodwork done because of my health issues. Doctor says I'm in great condition. Getting even better with the lifting. So, to assume I can't lift an iphone because of calorie intake is goofy. I'm glad you can eat so much, not all of us can and there can be reasons for it other than eating disorders.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Log accurately for a month straight before claiming you can't eat 1200. Your diary is empty most days, so my guess is you are eating plenty or you would be losing.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am a larger girl with more calories to eat. However I had the same problem. 37 years of not eating more than one meal a day put me into starvation mode. Therefore my body stored the energy in fat instead of using it. After speaking with my nutritionist and doctor they have me eating 6 small meals a day but have me bulking up my proteins and lowing my carbs and sugars. I also received advice last night about drinking my calories as well.

7 posts... NO :noway: NO :noway: NO AGAIN....

you do NOT get fat from eating less than you burn FACT.

Your one meal may have been 1500 calories easy and drinking your calories....you took in more calories than you burned.

There are not fat starving people, if there were there would be no world hunger.

If you stored your energy you consumed in all fat (for what purpose if your body won't use it!?!?) you would be dead. Your BMR is what it takes to just maintain your body in a vegetative state. less than that you slowly starve, get thinner and die.

This is starvation mode

starving.gif

metabolic function slows but NEVER to the point of preventing fat lose and NEVER gaining fat. Please use common sense.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    . I've always been skinny fat, so now I'm lifting and trying to eat at a slight deficit, but see sometimes at the end of the day, I need more calories, but I really just don't want them.

I hope you get some great advice. Don't let the negative bother you. Not all of us are designed to throw down 2000 calories a day. but like you, I would like to find a way to eat more without feeling stuffed.

I'm sorry but what exactly is it that you're lifting? I lift and on the days I don't lift I eat 1800 - 2000 calories and on my lifting days I eat 2200 - 2400, sometimes a little more.

I am not skinny fat, I never have been so I can't even start to understand it but I am, lets say, "thick fit" ha ha . . . I am a lifter and my body is not a thin body type - I can gain very quickly if my balance between calories in and calories out isn't looked after - like I am sure a lot of people on here experience. I just have a very hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you can lift anything other than an iphone on less than or around 1200 calories, especially on a lifting day.

I've been lifting as heavy as I can for almost 4 months. I am a type 2 diabetic (well controlled) with pcos so I cannot tolerate carbs. Keeping carbs lower makes it hard to get more calories. I try to stay well under 150 carbs a day to keep blood sugar under control. If my weight gets too low, I up my medication and eat more carbs to get weight on. It goes on so easily that I sometimes, (which is now) count calories and carbs to get it back down. When I'm at my goal weight, I tend not to eat much because I just don't have the desire to which lowers my weight and starts the cycle all over. I just want the blood sugar controlled.

I have plenty of energy, I lift, I run on the treadmill. I see the doctor every six months and get full bloodwork done because of my health issues. Doctor says I'm in great condition. Getting even better with the lifting. So, to assume I can't lift an iphone because of calorie intake is goofy. I'm glad you can eat so much, not all of us can and there can be reasons for it other than eating disorders.

I never thought of an eating disorder, I just wondered how you could lift, genuinely lift, as heavy as you can, without the fuel your muscles need to properly heal themselves and repair. I would think only eating 1200 calories would cause dammage, long term. I am not a doctor, I have only researched what works for my situation so I am not an expert on this. If you can, good for you. In my experience, a massive deficit and lifting/muscle building don't go together all that well. If you want to build muscle, which I presume you do since you're lifting, your body needs fuel to do it. That's like expecting to get 1,000 miles away with your tank cl;ose on empty . . . you'll go, but just not very far.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    wut1.gif

Honestly, I know where you are coming from (don't mind my snark gif, it was more for myself, because I could have written this, but I KNOW I have disordered eating patterns, and I am working on it very hard). It's so hard to find the correct balance between what we need to eat, what we think we should eat, and what we want to eat. Ugh. I wish you all the best.

Just quoting to more people can see littlefinger
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    First off, /ignore the trolls.

Second, I know where your coming from. At times, I have found it hard to reach a calorie goal for a specific day, but the real trick, as has been mentioned, is Calorie dense foods.

But, calorie dense doesn't mean crap food, like Chocolate or sugar infused spreads etc. The simplest way to increase your calorie intake, is to increase the portion size of your current meals in the beginning. For example, if your having 40g of Porridge for breakfast and that works out at 200 calories, just increase the porridge by 10-20g, and that will increase the calorie intake.

Do the same for each meal, just do gradual increments. DO NOT jump from 800 calories to 1500 in one fail swoop. It will have the opposite effect and confuse the body. Increase it gradually over the course of 7-10 days or longer if needs be, till your comfortable again with the portion sizes.

The other slightly quicker fix, is to use snacks. Low fat Fruit yoghurts are a good way. You can add 100-150 calories per pot. Being low fat, it will help you control the fats in your diet, and having fruit in them, will help increase your carbs and sugar slightly, which will help fuel your exercise.

People say "Everything in Moderation".....

Well, that goes for increases, as well as decreases.
    Last time I check chocolate and foods with sugar weren't crap. But nice try.

Chocolate and sugar = GOOD

As for the quoted area, your body won't get confused, it is a biological organism with the desire to survive. Humans were mostly hunter/gathers we evolved to have times of feast and times of famine, it has just been a part of our daily life for over 90% of our existence.

The 80's bro science has got to go. If you gain (fat) it means YOU ATE TOO MUCH, get over it and move on.
  • 75dsk
    75dsk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really didn't know how little I was eating till MFP. Now I do understand why I haven't been able to reach my weight and fitness goals. Not enough fuel means I have little energy which results in poor workouts. Just wanted to thank the original poster for posting, as I have a low calorie diet issue as well. Thanks also to the helpful and positive tips posted, with a few changes this will be a fun adventure to health and fitness instead of a painful one.

A smoothy in the morning and some nuts for snacks will really help my nutrition.

Thanks everyone.

Not meaning to pick at you, you just had the last of these posts at this time.

Do people have selective reading as well as hearing, if you have weight to lose, it is NOT because you are not eating enough. That does sound great but it is not true. Consumption and calories is about weight. Working out is for fitness and to earn extra food.

Too low of calories you are right equals poor workouts and fatigue among other issues...

To every single person reading....If you have weight to lose and can't the issue is not that you are not eating enough, the fact is you are eating more than you burn. Even with a disorder, your TDEE gets distorted NOT THE MATH.

Smoothies and nuts are great, over I liked your post, just don't understand people looking over facts and choosing what fits into their own misguided thoughts.

It is math and laws of energy....it is science not old wives tales.

Since I am learning and figuring out HOW to be my best and be healthy, I am going to consider your post as an attempt to be helpful and constructive. I will also over look the assumptions you are making about me and my lifestyle. I am much more interested in converting my weight to muscle and increasing my overall fitness and activity. After some more time I will have a better picture of diet and nutrition.

Everyone starts some where. Parts of this applies to me, so I am glad it was posted.

"not to pick on you but" - that's exactly what you are doing in that statement. I am glad that you have been here long enough to see when someone is learning and trying to keep things positive. I am glad that you are reaching your goals and helping others learn knowledge you already have so they can reach their goals too. If you don't like what someones posting, I suggest you move on instead of replying.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible for a vegan to have a balanced diet. My sister is and she eats really well. Lots of pulses! She makes stews and uses Marmite to help flavour them. And she is gorgeous and healthy and has no weight issues whatsoever, takes no supplements. So it is possible! You just have to make informed choices.
  • jschwend1
    jschwend1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I totally understand not getting to 1,200 calories per day, I was there too when I first started with MFP. My eating used to be so out of control, I had no idea how many calories I was eating. When I decided to start this journey, I would only eat things that were less than 100 calories per serving, and I was reallys obsessing over the servings. I found that eating that way seemed as if I was eating all day long and only getting up to around 600 calories (you can eat a TON of carrot sticks and celery sticks before you reach 100 calories). I was full, but I wasn't getting hardly any protien, no fat (I was afraid of it), etc. I saw some of the posts on some other threads that advised nut butter, and I LOVE peanut butter, but was pre-conditioned to think it was not healthy. I am on a 1,200 cal diet, and see a nutritionist every two weeks, she has advised me to not let my calorie intake go below 1050, so on those days that I am still lacking calories (they don't happen as frequent), I grab a couple tablespoons of Jif and a few rice cakes and ENJOY myself! Seriously, I was full with 600 calories a day because I was eating a ton of things, but my diet was far from balanced. You need a minimum number of calories for your body to function at it's optimal level. We are all here to get healthier, and healthy means balanced. Try a balanced diet for a week and see if you still are only eating 600 calories, not quite sure if that's even possible. Just saying.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    higher calorie dense meals..... very simple
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    I really didn't know how little I was eating till MFP. Now I do understand why I haven't been able to reach my weight and fitness goals. Not enough fuel means I have little energy which results in poor workouts. Just wanted to thank the original poster for posting, as I have a low calorie diet issue as well. Thanks also to the helpful and positive tips posted, with a few changes this will be a fun adventure to health and fitness instead of a painful one.

A smoothy in the morning and some nuts for snacks will really help my nutrition.

Thanks everyone.

Not meaning to pick at you, you just had the last of these posts at this time.

Do people have selective reading as well as hearing, if you have weight to lose, it is NOT because you are not eating enough. That does sound great but it is not true. Consumption and calories is about weight. Working out is for fitness and to earn extra food.

Too low of calories you are right equals poor workouts and fatigue among other issues...

To every single person reading....If you have weight to lose and can't the issue is not that you are not eating enough, the fact is you are eating more than you burn. Even with a disorder, your TDEE gets distorted NOT THE MATH.

Smoothies and nuts are great, over I liked your post, just don't understand people looking over facts and choosing what fits into their own misguided thoughts.

It is math and laws of energy....it is science not old wives tales.

Since I am learning and figuring out HOW to be my best and be healthy, I am going to consider your post as an attempt to be helpful and constructive. I will also over look the assumptions you are making about me and my lifestyle. I am much more interested in converting my weight to muscle and increasing my overall fitness and activity. After some more time I will have a better picture of diet and nutrition.

Everyone starts some where. Parts of this applies to me, so I am glad it was posted.

"not to pick on you but" - that's exactly what you are doing in that statement. I am glad that you have been here long enough to see when someone is learning and trying to keep things positive. I am glad that you are reaching your goals and helping others learn knowledge you already have so they can reach their goals too. If you don't like what someones posting, I suggest you move on instead of replying.

Sorry it was the "I can understand not eating enough" and "having a low calorie diet issue too". It keeps getting repeated and people seem to think they gained weight from not eating enough. It really wasn't your post it was just the last in line that mentioned not being able to eat at a low calorie consumption 1200 calories. If you are eating at a moderate deficient you will lose weight and if enough protein maintain muscle. You will not convert fat to muscle but you can maintain muscle and lose fat, then bulk and cut cycling.

As for moving on, normally I would, but when people repeatedly post "starvation mode made me fat" and i can't eat enough but they have weight to lose and are not losing. Many here will call bull****. If nobody does then new people just learning will believe the lies and post them themselves. Facts are facts, and spreading misinformation is much more damaging than someone getting their panties in a bunch.

Also many times someone will think they are only eating at 1000 calories then they lose, then the deficient gap closes some and now they gain or stall, reading posts like were in this thread they believe they are in "starvation mode" when they really were eating 1700 calories all along but had no clue sense they don't weigh their food and log EVERYTHING. Debunking the myth can set them on the path to their goals again.

The post from above quoted your post but was directed at everyone making the statement that they can't eat enough and then they either gain or stop losing. That was the reason for the disclaimer about not picking on you, if it had been directed at you, I don't apologize for stating facts, so no disclaimer. The other comments I made were to show I agreed with other parts of your post, since I quoted it all I did not want to look like I was disagreeing with things I thought were good. (if that makes sense :flowerforyou: )
  • AlyRuth94
    AlyRuth94 Posts: 11
    Options

The food in that link looks god awful. I'm all about eating the veggies, but eating 30 grape tomatoes and a piece of pita bread for lunch sounds like my diet would be over in 3, 2, 1....
  • marycatherine000
    Options
    Most people have addressed the fact that you are probably eating more than you think, so I am just here to sympathize. Give you a break from all that negativity.

I definitely understand what you are saying. When I first start "dieting," reducing my intake, whatever, I find it hard to get in enough calories as well. I eat all the foods people are suggesting--peanut butter, advocado etc. But for some reason I just get full quickly and then am uninterested in food. I don't like to eat if I am not hungry. My theory is that your stomach shrinks because you are eating less, so you get full easier. That said, it always sorts itself out for me. Eventually (usually only after a week or so) my body realizes I'm getting inadequate nutrition and my appetite goes way up. Exercise will exacerbate the process.

Just give it time and try to eat more frequently. A lot of times once I start eating my appetite magically appears. Don't be afraid to eat something that you wouldn't think of as appropriate when "dieting." If you like a food eat it. This morning I had bacon and an egg fried in bacon fat. Plus full fat cream cheese on bread. These "bad" foods have more nutritional value than you think.

(If you are afraid to eat, dread doing it or have feelings of guilt you may have an eating disorder and you should see a doctor.)
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    God I love this site lol
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Funny I understand something else when I read the post. When someone make big changes to their diet from high calorie food to low calories such as vegetable, the bulk of it is impressive.

3 cups of spinash is 15 calories compare to a slice of apple pie at over 300. Yes if she switch to mostly vegetable her plates are huge and might be difficult to finish.

Dont judge