Tips to keep on track

Options
How do you manage calories and portion control when you don't have the luxury of measuring cups? And when you're really busy and there's a possibility of you losing your head and not thinking about portion control? How do you deal with stress without overeating? What's your... dare I say ... diet survival guide?

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale that I use, but there are guides to give you a rule of thumb about portion control.

Check this one out: http://melissasfitnessclub.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hw_handportionchart_1222.jpg

One thing that helps me is to try and think of food as FUEL. It's energy. If you give a high performance car horrible grade fuel, it won't run as well. So I try to think of my body in that way. It's my job for myself to get up, work out, and eat right. If I slip up every now and again, it's fine! I just don't want to go back to my old habits. :)

Hope it helps!
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    I also have a food scale and I measure EVERYTHING like, religiously. But I don't have that when we have guests or when I'm out of the house :) and that, well, it kind of scares me believe it or not!
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    BUMP!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Try this

portions_zps6aea6bc1.jpg

there are other "common" items as well such as:

deck of cards = 3oz of meat
    baseball=1cup
    tennisball=3/4cup
    computer mouse=1/2cup
    egg=1/4cup
    ping pong ball=2tbsp
  • liveonce2014
    liveonce2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like the graphic (going to use). I travel weekly and haven't mustered the courage to whip out a portable food scale at a restaurant (sticking to researching menus beforehand - which is always hit/miss - and will now use this graphic). Thanks.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT! This is very helpful! Thank you!
  • CharloK2
    CharloK2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Great infograph chart, will def be helpful when I'm out and haven't prepared my meals in advance. Thanks for sharing!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1st, don't rely on measuring cups unless you're on a liquid diet for some reason. You need a food scale for solids.

I use a food scale at home & the postage scale at work. (Work in an office.) I pre-portion snacks as needed, to have on hand at times when I'll need to eat on the go.