'Explain' your tattoo

Options
riffraff2112
riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
I love tattoos and want to see some cool ones. A brief explanation of why you got it, what it means to you would be awesome.
I will get this started. Although I have many tattoos, I'll explain my favourite cluster.

0168a6ba-401c-4077-9ce8-37ac347ffb14_zps3f7905df.jpg

The names of my daughters (Victoria and Gabriella) might be tough to read because when flipped upside down they spell the names of myself and my wife (Raffaele and Katerina). This type of tattoo is called an ambigram and is quite popular. I have seen them with single words that reads the same both ways, or other words that spell something different when flipped (family-forever or Hope-Love etc..)

The symbols above are letters of the Greek alphabet, because my wife is Greek and also because I teach mathematics and Physics and these symbols are commonly used for my subjects.

I got a few more, but ...your turn!

Replies

• laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    I have a Mario sleeve and comic book tattoos simply because I like the art work and it makes me smile.

Why do people feel the need to express their feelings through tattoos
  • bluffnmuffn318
    bluffnmuffn318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I several but my biggest one is a half sleeve with a pin up girl lying down on flowers. I just really love pin up's and that's what I got. I also have a sugar skull on my left arm, a dream catcher on my leg for my dad (this one means a lot to me as he is Indian and going through cancer treatments. It makes me think of him when I look at it), a trans am phoenix on my neck as I use to work and race them as teenager, got determined on wrist with the Mudvayne symbol behind it as I relate to a lot of their older songs and no matter what I do I am always determined to achieve something out of it. Then a lot of smaller ones just for fun but love tattoos and have a lot more to get. :heart:
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tribal butterfly :)
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have an anchor on the inside of my left ankle, it symbolizes strength and stability in who I am and what I believe. I also have an infinity sign that says family, kind of cheesy, but my family is what keeps me going every day and I wanted to honor that. I want more, but i'm waiting until I'm at goal weight to get something new! :)
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have 'love yourself first' in script on my ribs. It was a present to myself after my marriage ended. It was a very important lesson for me to learn.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Mine are mostly death, fire, evil, destruction etc. etc. :devil:
  • bluffnmuffn318
    Options
    I have a Mario sleeve and comic book tattoos simply because I like the art work and it makes me smile.

Mario is awesome!
    Everyone's different. If you get them for art, great. If you get them for meaning or feeling, awesome. Everyone has a story and some like to express it on their bodies but either way I like them all :drinker:
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have a freeze mark on my hip that wild mustangs get branded with when captured. The hieroglyphic symbols indicate where/when they were captured/born. My symbols indicate the date I met my husband.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Bestfriend symbol behind ear, Grandma and Grandpa's (mom side) full name in Lao characters with a lao flower around it and an infinity sign.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

Mario is awesome!
    Everyone's different. If you get them for art, great. If you get them for meaning or feeling, awesome. Everyone has a story and some like to express it on their bodies but either way I like them all :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • themodifiedvaper
    Options
    I've many, many tattoo's. Some have meaning, others don't. My favourite ones were done by my beautiful wife <3
  • bluffnmuffn318
    Options
    Mine are mostly death, fire, evil, destruction etc. etc. :devil:

Arent you the cool one :smokin: ... j/k those are my fav
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My first is of a tribal sun. I had been wanting a tattoo for many years but never found a design I loved enough to permanently ink onto my body, but when I first saw the design (in a packet of temporary tattoos no less) I knew it was what I had been looking for. My second are of 2 mini paw prints for my 2 dogs, I also work in animal rescue. I wanted to get another one as a reward for losing 100lbs, but I have yet to find a design I love well enough to permanently ink onto by body. Need some ideas.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It's called "I have a fear of commitment" and you can't see it because I haven't gotten it yet. Because of the commitment issues.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It's called "I have a fear of commitment" and you can't see it because I haven't gotten it yet. Because of the commitment issues.

Need to work on you dear.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My only one is a triskele which means different things to different people. The oldest meanings are thought to be representing earth, sea, and sky and also the 3 aspects of womanhood:: maiden , mother, and crone. I got it for my 50th birthday as I was starting menopause and it is a celebration of reaching the third aspect of womanhood with all of its accumulated wisdom.

361dee30-44e8-4136-a97a-080389ebd862_zps56e4a61d.jpg
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have an ourobouros on my wrist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros) just after I got married and moved to aus... to really remember to adapt to change

Wedding band tattoo of our wedding date in roman numerals.

A shark on the back of my neck because there is no experience like diving with sharks. I can't even describe what it does for me.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    1. Fairy between my shoulder blades

2. Oldest Son's zodiac on the back of my neck

3. three roses one bud, one partial bloom and one full bloom for my two boys and my husband

4. Strength on my ankle to remind me that life isn't always easy but I have the strength to get through it!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have too many. The one in my profile pics is for my son who's my world.

I have one for each of my girls too.

Phoenix because my family had a fire and almost died in it. We rose above and came out stronger.

Yoda because he's awesome.

Bruce Campbell. Because he's awesome.e

To name a few.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Or, no thank you. I don't explain my tattoos or the reasons for them