Am I eating too many calories?

Options
Hello - first post here, please be kind, forum people! :) Happy Friday, BTW.

Anyway, I've been a lurker for awhile and know that everyone always says that people aren't eating enough at 1200 calories. I have been using several TDEE (still learning about this) calculators and reduced my weekly loss goal and my calories per day are 1620. I started at 178. Now at 165.5. 5' 5" and medium frame.

I recently upped my calories to 1620 from 1200 about a month ago and feel I've been losing slower now but it allows me to eat more.

My diary is open if anyone would like to review it.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The calories per day those calculators gave you sound pretty accurate to me. Even if eating more causes you to lose weight more slowly, it's probably better in the long run because the higher amount is more sustainable over the long term. It looks like, with the goal you've set for yourself, you have a ways to go so sustainability in eating habits/weight loss is a good thing. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For comparison...

I'm 5' 5.5" and started ~178 at Christmas. (I wasn't exactly best friends with the scale then. It may have been a little higher, but I know it wasn't any lower.) Over the past 5 months I'm down 30 pounds.

Typically I eat 1400-1600 and burn a total of 2100-2200 per day. My goal is for a 500 deficit though I like to see a little extra, just in case. Since burn estimates are estimates, of course.

Just wanted to give my details because your stats are similar, kind of me a few months ago! Personally I don't have huge burn #s. To burn total of 2100+ in a day takes some effort. There are some days I'm a little lower (1300-1400) on calories, but not often. Just sometimes have a day where I'm not very hungry and my meal choices don't add up to much or I snack less. If so, I don't worry about it - as its at most once a week.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The calories per day those calculators gave you sound pretty accurate to me. Even if eating more causes you to lose weight more slowly, it's probably better in the long run because the higher amount is more sustainable over the long term. It looks like, with the goal you've set for yourself, you have a ways to go so sustainability in eating habits/weight loss is a good thing. :)

^^^^This^^^^ and if you are not now (didn't seem so in your diary) start weighing all your food with a digital scale. As you lose accuracy will be much more important because your deficient will shrink with your body. Congrats on your success so far, and it seems you are on the right path :flowerforyou:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    For comparison...

I'm 5' 5.5" and started ~178 at Christmas. (I wasn't exactly best friends with the scale then. It may have been a little higher, but I know it wasn't any lower.) Over the past 5 months I'm down 30 pounds.

Typically I eat 1400-1600 and burn a total of 2100-2200 per day. My goal is for a 500 deficit though I like to see a little extra, just in case. Since burn estimates are estimates, of course.

Just wanted to give my details because your stats are similar, kind of me a few months ago! Personally I don't have huge burn #s. To burn total of 2100+ in a day takes some effort. There are some days I'm a little lower (1300-1400) on calories, but not often. Just sometimes have a day where I'm not very hungry and my meal choices don't add up to much or I snack less. If so, I don't worry about it - as its at most once a week.

Please tell me when you say burn 2100 calories this including what your body naturally burns.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, all day burn. BMR, normal activity and exercise. Which is why I said total.

So a 2100 burn - 1600 consumed = 500 deficit.

Please tell me when you say burn 2100 calories this including what your body naturally burns.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just making sure.
  • feetmayfail
    feetmayfail Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Have a good weekend.