How does a busy mom find the time to exercise?

Options
Hi all, I am new here. I am currently at 225 pounds and trying to lose around 75 pounds. I am looking for suggestions from other mommies on how to find time to get my exercise in. I am a single parent of three amazing kids under the age of 9. Please help!

Replies

• Rodriguezmama
    Rodriguezmama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you chase them around like I do with mine that's a workout in itself, lol. But just about anything you do can be considered a workout, household chores, cooking, and so on because it all burns calories. I sometimes just set my boys up with a board game or give them 30 minutes to play a video game while I get on my treadmill
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I try to keep them occupied for the most part but it came down to just exercising right in the living room in front of them with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. If it's nice out, take them to the park. Run around with them. Lean on a neighbour or family member and ask them to the little ones off your hands once in awhile so you can exercise.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You can either find something to do with them around (workout video, walking, etc) or do it when they aren't underfoot, like wake early, while they are at school, etc. I do some of both, although I am not a single parent.

I have an elliptical in the garage which I like to use, and my videos. I'm not a fan of going to the gym, and can't afford it right now anyway, but some have childcare.
  • 143Meowww
    143Meowww Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I have been thinking about getting up early to go for a run..... I used to run 3.5 miles a day faithfully.... but I got separated 1.5 years ago and have since gained all the weight I lost the first time back............ I guess I just need to get motivated!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I either take them for a walk/jog (they love it), or exercise at home (via Jillian Michaels, YouTube or strength training).

It's something you have to approach as a necessity, not a option - like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. You work those things into your day without a second thought - once you approach being active the same way, you'll find the time.

If all else fails and they won't let you be for 30 minutes - bribe them ;)
  • 143Meowww
    143Meowww Posts: 9 Member
    Options

If all else fails and they won't let you be for 30 minutes - bribe them ;)

That made me laugh....
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do zumba at home, my lil one sometimes likes to join in lol otherwise I give her things to do like painting, watching her fav show ect I also walk to her to the park every sunny day and play their for at least 2 hours. You could take them to a field and play soccer ect or tennis to. Make it a family affair when you can, you will be rubbing off on them with healthy habits and giving them something to do, so you don't get oh mum im bored lol
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Being allowed to watch Minecraft videos on YouTube is The Great Motivator here. My girls will do almost anything for 30 minutes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Work out at the park while they are playing (walk/jog/sprint, step-ups on the picnic table, body weight squats, push-ups, lunges, pull-ups, burpees).

Make everyone have "quiet time" for 30-45 minutes once a day (color, read books, video games, movie) while you do a DVD workout.

Walk together.

Ride bikes together.

Go to the public swimming pool together.

Turn off the TV and do stuff together like hiking or a family yoga class.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Also, my YMCA has sliding scale membership fees and free childcare. :-)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you make time, not excuses.

3 kids 5 and under tand and 4.0 gpa in my 3rd year of school. I worked out for 45 minutes today and burned 600 calories.
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly I personally just do it. I have an 7 month old and a 4 year old. I work a 10 to 5 drop them off early to daycare get a hour sometimes hour and half of exercise. Then do what I can at night when there sleep. Before when my son was younger the 7 month old I would put him in his carrier and dance to some high pace music. Make time for you and what you want to accomplish. Good tou
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My kids are 9 and 5 and never leave me alone long enough to get in a workout. I once kicked my daughter in the face doing a DVD because she walked in front of me just a s I was kicking :( I now have a gym membership which helps but on days I cant make it, I give them things to play with that I normally don't like play dough. Its messy but It's worth it if I can get in a quick Jillian Micheal's workout. :-)
    In the warmer months , we also do a lot outdoors together. Bike Ride, go to the playground( I run around and swing with them), go on hikes. things like that.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym... and what I found was a gym with a play area for kids... I have seen some with WII and other body type video games.. to get them active.

-ms
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have used several of the things already posted,, YMCA- childcare, etc.

Currently am getting up super early to get my workout in. Before the kids need to get up. You can do this easily,, I go to the gym but you could get a workout in either at home or outside easy so you dont wake them.

I agree that the "I dont have time" thing is an excuse,, but one I have used for so long as well, but not anymore. Now I make time.

3 kids- 10 and under, full time job, president of collegiate honor society and just finished my MBA, also small business owner, so I know the "busy" feeling.
  • ryannsmom921
    ryannsmom921 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My gym has a room where the kids can play while I work out, though they don't have wifi and my daughter would easily be entertained with anything electronic and she would be bored there. Sometimes I drive us both up to the local middle school and she rides her bike around while I walk. I have started getting up early three times a week and doing dvds before she gets up. Mostly, I have my parents watch her when I'm walking or at the gym. I don't know if this helps but good luck!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Busy working mom here and what works best for me on a daily basis is working out at home before everyone else wakes up in the morning. It is hard to get the habit started, but it's so worth it. I was previously a snooze fiend, but now it's pretty much second nature. I get it done, I feel great the rest of the day, and it doesn't interfer with dinner or chores or any of our other evening family activities. My boys have also gone on many runs with me too. One of the best things you can do for your kids is to set a good example of being active.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Single mom and I work full time and go to school part time. I exercise in the bathroom at work every time I go. Things likes squats and lunges. I have a small bicycle under my desk that I can pedal on during the day. I do yoga/lift weight after my son goes to bed and I jog every other day and before class. Its hard to fit it in, but if you make it a priority you can do it!
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Depends on how old your kids are, but if 1-2 are in school, take the other on a walk. I love carrying my 35-pounder in a carrier for extra resistance, too. Really ups my burn. :)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new here. I am currently at 225 pounds and trying to lose around 75 pounds. I am looking for suggestions from other mommies on how to find time to get my exercise in. I am a single parent of three amazing kids under the age of 9. Please help!

The Russian Kettlebell!! It's the only tool proven to burn 1200 calories in a hour.... Here's the science... http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf You don't even need a gym! It's a hand held gym, you can workout with it anywhere in very little space. There are millions of moves so you never get bored. It does not isolate muscles so you get very strong. It does it all!! Of course, you do not have to workout with it for an hour.... as long or as little as you can handle it and work up your time. It's High intensity workout, the workout that we now know is the best.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group