Life events. Fell off the wagon

Options
2»

Replies

• Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My mantra to myself?

Don't turn a bad week into a bad month....

Don't turn a bad day into a bad week....

Don't turn a bad hour into a bad day...

Don't turn a bad meal into a bad hour.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My mantra to myself?

This. Exactly.

You will not be perfect, but you can still make the right choices most of the time.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I realized I was in the way of getting back on. I was letting my "inner child" drive the wagon too.....It was bothering me again that it seemed like everyone could eat anything anytime and not gain anything. I've felt like there were things I've always had to struggle at that others didn't have much of a challenge with - well, then I realized that everybody has something going on....and I don't need to know about it or care about it. I need to care about me enough to quit pointing my finger at others, and start pointing it at me.

I was listening to a song on the way home. Typically, I'm not the biggest Tom Petty fan. In fact, I'd say I'm pretty much not. BUT I found a song that I really like. "I won't back down.....You can stand me up at the gates of hell but I won't back down. .....Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out....I can't keep this world from dragging me down, but I won't back down...." Don't have them memorized all the way through, but those were things that have been ringing in my head the last couple of weeks.

This is the path that I'm on. I know what I need to do. I know who I need to partner with. Focus on the tasks at hand. Logging, drinking water, sitting less and moving more, and whatever I can do to put the odds in better favor than they were yesterday.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I havent fallen off the wagon exactly. I'm kind of gripping to the back of it with my fingernails as it tries to warp speed away from me. But Im going with it! sometimes i get a foot back on it, then it comes off.
    The best thing ive got to keep me going is that i enter running and obstacle course events. I need to have something to aim for, then i have a training plan. If i've got a plan, then i have to find a way to fit the training in. So i train more. When i'm sticking with a training plan my diet takes care of itself. Then i feel better and happier.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    For me life is an event and slipping up occurs.
    I practice a lifestyle that allows it but I pick
    myself up and try to improve after I feel I
    made poor choices. Nothing is perfect but
    getting yourself to goal will be all ups and
    downs, enjoy the ride. :)
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    for me it has always boiled down to 2 options. Get up, dust myself off and get back on the wagon OR stay there watching the wagon ride off into the sunset without me while I lie wounded in Sucksville hoping for someone to drive by in another wagon. (unlikely)

Life happens, good and bad. And trust me, there has been been some epically bad stuff but at the end of it, I refuse to let whatever it is be the thing that finally sinks my boat. I want to go out in a blaze of glory doing something I love and definitely NOT by being a hit and run victim of life's wagon.

When you have a bad day and it all gets too much, go and look in the mirror. That's when you will realize that your success rate for getting through bad patches so far is 100% cos you're still standing. And 100% success rate is pretty damn good by anyone's standards :-) Soldier on, one foot in front of the other. Sucksville isn't that big a place, you'll be outta there in no time

NICELY PUT! i love sucksville ;)
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I came in here this evening with the intent of deleting my account. Then I seen this topic on the forums on my side bar.. I clicked it and read the responses...

This last week was horrible at work with treats and stress (but when is there never stress at work??). There was donuts three days out of four, a coworker brought me my own bag of Gummy Bears (she knows this is my fav) and I ate the whole freaking bag in one day, and a resident doctor's wife made homemade white chocolate macadamia cookies (another fav) to bring to us. After a conversation with my darling, caring husband last night, it was pointed out strongly but gently that I am the ONLY ONE who can control what I eat to fuel my body. I am the ONLY ONE who can say NO to those who are "food pushers"! I am the ONLY ONE who can control my happiness and my weight!

Basically, I let one bad snack turn in to one bad meal, to turn in to one bad day, to turn in to one bad week (to quote another poster)!

I'm STAYING and getting CONTROL over this monster!
  • Bucklebeak
    Bucklebeak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My mantra to myself?

Genius!
  • jaychick
    jaychick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon. There is just one day, followed by another, followed by another.

Start every day fresh and do your best.

^this^
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I came in here this evening with the intent of deleting my account. Then I seen this topic on the forums on my side bar.. I clicked it and read the responses...

This last week was horrible at work with treats and stress (but when is there never stress at work??). There was donuts three days out of four, a coworker brought me my own bag of Gummy Bears (she knows this is my fav) and I ate the whole freaking bag in one day, and a resident doctor's wife made homemade white chocolate macadamia cookies (another fav) to bring to us. After a conversation with my darling, caring husband last night, it was pointed out strongly but gently that I am the ONLY ONE who can control what I eat to fuel my body. I am the ONLY ONE who can say NO to those who are "food pushers"! I am the ONLY ONE who can control my happiness and my weight!

Basically, I let one bad snack turn in to one bad meal, to turn in to one bad day, to turn in to one bad week (to quote another poster)!

I'm STAYING and getting CONTROL over this monster!

you seem to be the person who will benefit with a flexible dieting approach ( IIFYM) research it here, you might be surprise to realize you dont have to say NO at all just eat in moderation ;)
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How'd you all get back on?

One bite at a time!
    One step at a time!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Come on guys/gals... Most of us falter at one point or another. But don't let it defeat you! Life does happen and tries to sabotage us. Well... kick it in it's derrière. Don't delete your accounts. This is a lifestyle, a marathon, not a sprint. A year from now will you be happy with yourself for giving up or will you be proud for sticking with it?

Feel free to read a post about my excuses I posted yesterday:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses

You can do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I fell off, what got me back on was thinking how it would be like to live at 50, 60, 70 years old as an unfit & unhealthy person, I find this very motivating.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It is not how many times you get knocked down. It is how many times you get back up. (in this case, back ON the wagon)
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My mantra is a quotation by Oscar Wilde.
    "Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future."
    I try to live my entire life off this, and if I lose this weight, my gift to myself is to have it tattooed.

Another good one is "the birds are still singing."
    When I hear them in the morning, I know it's a brand new day, the world hasn't suddenly stopped, so I too must go on :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My mantra to myself?

I love this.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My mantra to myself?

This^^

One mistake does not have to lead to another... Everything we do in life requires a decision. Keep trying to make better ones all the time :)