Sugar withdrawl

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a real thing! You can gradually cut it out. I don't think that I would try and just cut it all out. You could start eating chocolate kisses or something to be enough to get you through.

Yes I think I will try a few weeks of a small bit a day before going cold turkey. I have read a few articles on the sugar addiction, and every symptom I have listed is mentioned in regards to sugar withdrawal.
    Then why bother even asking the board for their opinion if you were going to wait for the response you wanted to verify an article you read.

I said the symptoms related to sugar withdrawal not sugar addiction. Similar to caffeine withdrawal, no?

No..Sugar is a sugar. It's a carb. It's energy. Are you perhaps limiting carbs as well? I feel like crap if I don't get a good amount of carbs. Not your symptoms bad but I definitely don't have the energy without them.

What is your calorie goal?
  • JlovesAB
    JlovesAB Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes it's a real thing! You can gradually cut it out. I don't think that I would try and just cut it all out. You could start eating chocolate kisses or something to be enough to get you through.

Yes I think I will try a few weeks of a small bit a day before going cold turkey. I have read a few articles on the sugar addiction, and every symptom I have listed is mentioned in regards to sugar withdrawal.

Oic. This is another one of those mind game things.

You know, I can talk myself into panic attacks, my heart palpitations feel like I'm going to pass out and I feel as though I can't breathe. The room spins. It feels real. But it's all in my head. Sometimes, mind over matter. Realizing that you have the power over your mind is a reassuring feeling but slipping into the mindset of "Oh, it's an addiction and I can't control it." Is a slippery slope of misplacing blame

I have not said I have an addiction I asked if it is a real thing as a side question to my original question (how to deal with sugar withdrawal). The person who replied said it was a real thing, I replied that I had read articles sugar addiction, then went on to say my symptoms relate to sugar withdrawal. I didn't say my symptoms relate to sugar addiction. Calm down.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Well I wish you luck! It is a very real thing and any smart person (not you, but these other "smart people") would know that the sugar industry is a major industry and it's not because it's NOT addictive....just like the tobacco industry....they dont want you to know that it's addicting and can kill you and these idiots on this post are the ones who fall into it. I must have hit the jack pot post with the cane farmers! What happened to the good ol' days when the dumbasses didn't know how to turn on their computers? ;)

I was going to offer you a tinfoil hat after your 'Big Sugar' rant (never mind that Big Placebo and the health food industry rake in the cash too, and they're not pushing 'addictive' substances) but then you decided to start calling people names for giving sound advice (going to the doctor, moderation) rather than just telling the OP what she wanted to hear.
    Believe it or not, people who don't agree with you that sugar is OMGSOEVIL are not shills for 'Big Sugar' and they're not idiots either. There are a lot of successful people on this site who promote moderation and are A-OK with sugar. But then again, you're so smart, you probably noticed that, right?
    OP, go to the doctor. What you're describing doesn't sound normal or healthy.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Well I wish you luck! It is a very real thing and any smart person (not you, but these other "smart people") would know that the sugar industry is a major industry and it's not because it's NOT addictive....just like the tobacco industry....they dont want you to know that it's addicting and can kill you and these idiots on this post are the ones who fall into it. I must have hit the jack pot post with the cane farmers! What happened to the good ol' days when the dumbasses didn't know how to turn on their computers? ;)

I've heard that the least intellectual people are usually the ones to start throwing insults first. Guess I can put that theory to rest.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I've heard that the least intellectual people are usually the ones to start throwing insults first. Guess I can put that theory to rest.

tumblr_mes7hdpv3s1riiw1do1_250.gif
    That's right. It's .gif time.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Sugar Addiction?

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

There hasn't been that many studies towards it, but some have found similar behavior in rats that self medicate with addictive drugs and rats that have access to an over abundance of sugar.

I know my little sister would have similar symptoms when she attempted to stop drinking soda. She eventually succeeded. But she went by gradually reducing her intake rather than cold turkey. As well, soda has caffeine which is more likely the cause of her addiction than the sugar content.

If you are experiencing such severe symptoms from not eating chocolate, you may want to see a doctor or gradually reduce your intake over time. There could be another underlying medical reason for your symptoms.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In for the - just eat in moderation - generic advice!

Good luck OP, sounds like you've good a habitual eating habit (for snack/junk food).

If it is really causing you physical issues to cut back, perhaps get some professional advice first.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So wait... just how much chocolate do you eat a day that its becoming a problem? Try moderation. Have a ghirardelli square of dark chocolate. Anti-oxidants, chocolate, BAM. Eat it slowly, enjoy it, and move on. Have a handful of chocolate covered nuts. A handful of chocolate covered fruit.

All in all, it's a totally mental thing. You THINK you're addicted, so your body is agreeing with you. I say this in the utmost, heart-felt way possible... you've conditioned your body and mind to think like this. So you also have to be the one to stop it.

Edited for grammar
  • californiabella
    Options
    mind | matter >>>
    well, addiction is real. depends on the invididual. whatever it is that they believe they cannot live without is a real addiction for that particular person. keyword there is believe. quitting cold turkey of whatever it is can cause all sorts of mental distress which, in turn, can psychsomatically manifest as true physical withdrawal symptoms. keyword again is can. not that it always will.

but I agree with majority-- seek medical advice right away. Hope you're able to kick the habit if that's what you truly want to do.
  • 6yuu
    6yuu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I can totally relate to this! I always feel the need to have chocolate ugh. And then I feel bad for eating crap so I try and eat less of everything else. It's a **** cycle, and it's so unhealthy :(
  • 6yuu
    Options
    Oh my gosh I can totally relate to this! I always feel the need to have chocolate ugh. And then I feel bad for eating crap so I try and eat less of everything else. It's a **** cycle, and it's so unhealthy :(
    What is so unhealthy about chocolate?
    just eating milk chocolate makes me feel so gross, I don't know...
  • greentart
    Options

So wait... you feel like you need to have something that makes you feel gross?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the who sugar isn't addictive thing.

I mean in a world where gambling, sex, caffeine and video games are all addictive why not sugar?

Comparing it to heroin might be a bit much but comparing it to some of the above it doesn't seem out of place. People get used to stuff and then their brain punishes them if they don't get it. That stuff could be a kiss good night or a chocolate bar and the responses to withdrawal could be irritation, anger, headaches, compulsive ideation or probably much worse.

I might be missing some aspect of the argument against sugar addiction though so just curious.
  • 6yuu
    Options
    no, I just feel gross afterwards

• greentart
    Options

no, I just feel gross afterwards

You said you always feel the need to have chocolate. Milk chocolate makes you feel gross after you eat it. Therefore, you feel the need to have something that makes you feel gross. I have to say, I don't understand that at all. How do you want something that makes you feel gross?
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like something you would experience from not eating chocolate. It's possible to have "withdrawal" from sugar in the form of irritability and intense cravings but what you described sounds weird. Do you think it's placebo?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are assuming it's "sugar addiction" but you don't know for sure. It doesn't always pay to play doctor and self diagnosis yourself. The best thing to do is see a doctor.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have to drink unsweetened green tea to help with headaches I got from no more sugar. I use stevia now in everything that needs sugar.