How do you figure out calories?

Options
tracydr
tracydr Posts: 528 Member
I love to make various soups, chile and casseroles. I don't really use recipes but I'm a good cook.
The only way I can figure out how to count calories is to weigh and measure every ingredient, cook the dish and then weigh the total. Divide by however many servings that I think is right.
There just has to be a better way, besides not cooking anything but plain meats and veggies or recipes. I know how to use the recipe ap on here but how do you figure out the final serving size after cooking?
This can't be that difficult! I don't have a big enough scale to weigh a whole pot of chile!

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you have the answer in your original question. You weight and measure all the ingredients then weigh the final product and divide it into servings.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like you have the answer in your original question. You weight and measure all the ingredients then weigh the final product and divide it into servings.

Stop it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Stop it.
    de0e8960f0142bc5e3e42cc0c49b65fe702057649ee5ca7e77f2d3d6d3b61a97.jpg
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tracy what I do with the recipe ap is put all the ingredients in and then it asks how many servings it is and I estimate how much I usually eat. It is not an exact science but if it is a casserole I will preslice it into the serving size I chose usually then I take 1 slice. It makes it a little simpler.
  • tracydr
    Options
    Tracy what I do with the recipe ap is put all the ingredients in and then it asks how many servings it is and I estimate how much I usually eat. It is not an exact science but if it is a casserole I will preslice it into the serving size I chose usually then I take 1 slice. It makes it a little simpler.
    I didn't know that I could ask the recipe ap to suggest serving sizes. How do you do that? I've been inputting serving sizes but it's tough to figure out more liquid things like chile, spaghetti sauce or chicken noodle soup.
    Maybe I can get an extra large liquid measuring cup and measure it before serving. That may be the answer. I sometimes make giant batches of soups, chile or beans and greens. Then I freeze the leftovers for later.
  • tracydr
    Options
    Just placed an order for a 15 pound kitchen scale and a 2-quart measuring container. That should help.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more lenient, I don't weight the final product, just cut it into equal servings. Like if I bake a sheet cake I will find out how many calories is in 1/12 of the sheet cake and then cut it into 12 pieces.

So yeah... basically what you said in your post lol