Recipes fo Diabetics

Options
molissep
molissep Posts: 452 Member
Does anyone have recipes for individuals with Diabetes that they could share? I found some online, but there's a lot of information to sort through. If you have any tasty ones or favorites please share :smile:

Replies

• dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My favorite is cauliflower pizza! The crust is made from cauliflower, egg and mozzerella. It really doesn't have many carbs, and it tastes realllllyyy good!

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
    mozzarella cheese

Delicious and easy.
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

* I put the cauliflower in a food processor until it was grated, or you could grated it with a grater.
    If you google this, you can look at the pic to see how it will turn out.
  • molissep
    Options
    I'll def be trying this one! Do you boil or steam the cauliflower? I would think it would need to be still stiff in order to grate it right?
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    Well, I actually used the microwave, because I was short on time. I may steam it next time (tonight!). Although, I didn't grate it, I used a mini food processor. I tried grating it, but OMG, by the 2nd floret I threw in the towel haha. A blender would probably work as well, Just don't make it mushy. I am also going to make sure it is dry, because it was pretty watery and took a few extra minutes to bake. I am going to try a few tweaks tonight. I'll let you know how it works.
  • molissep
    Options
    Yes please let me know! I have a blender so I can try that! Thanks so much!
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    Ok, so..we just finished dinner.
    It was soooo good.
    Here is what I did:

*I steamed the cauliflower (using the steamer bags from ziploc)
    *I doubled everything and made one pizza
    *It was a lot more firm, and you could pretty much eat it while holding, but, I still used a fork :)
    *I used a cookie sheet, didn't fill the whole space and cut it into squares
    * I used turkey pepperoni, canned mushrooms and reg. mozz, because the ff mozz doesnt
    melt right.
  • molissep
    Options
    sounds delish! I can't wait to try it, thanks!
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    I have a tons more recipes too, I will send them to you when I have a little more time! Anything specific? Like fish, chicken, meatless?
  • hummingbird47
    Options
    Sounds great.I need more recipes for diabetics if you have them.Thanks for sharing your recipe.:wink:
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to go through my recipes, but, I did remember something (that I need to tell you before I forget!) A lot of people have heard of this, but, for those who haven't... :)

Tofu shiritaki noodles (not sure if I spelled that right). But, anyway. These are "noodles" made from tofu. They have a sort of "weird" taste if you don't rinse them well (and a bad smell, but they do taste good). My fiance who is diabetic eats these in place of spaghetti. A lot of the "hungry girl" recipes use these. I have made spaghetti and fettucini with these, they have virtually no carbs and low cal. They are found (at least at Kroger) in the organic refrigerated/frozen section;near the health food. They are refrigerated, and come in a bag. To warn you: Each bag contains 2 servings, so, I'd get a few bags unless it's only you.. I am going to try these in a few weeks as a sub. for lo mein! (from the hungry girl cook book)

I have a TON of cookbooks (for diabetics) and also LOVE searching for/trying new recipes; so, if there is anything specific you are looking for, let me know! You can send me a message, it may be easier :)
  • molissep
    Options
    anything you have that you've tried and tasted good will work for me haha. we eat a lot of turkey and chicken, not much fish or red meat. i've tried the shiritaki noodles and didn't care for them, but i might have to give them another go!
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    This is one of my favorites :)
    I am pretty sure that I doubled this recipe (the sauce part), because it's not as "saucy" as it regular coq au vin. I serve with mashed potatoes, or hungry girls "miracle mashies" I haven't tried those yet, but, I am making them next week with meatloaf. I will include the recipe just in case :)

SIMPLE SLOW COOKER COQ AU VIN

Serves 4 to 6
    Browning the bacon, chicken and vegetables briefly before adding them to the crock pot creates deep rich flavors in both the chicken and sauce. After the brief sauté, the crock pot does all the work. Serve with a crusty baguette or couscous. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the Whole Foods Market Family of Brands.

Ingredients
    8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (tried this with chicken breast, but, dried out. YOu could probably use bone in breasts/thighs though)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
    4 slices bacon, roughly chopped*
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil, divided*
    1 (12-ounce) package white or baby bella mushrooms, quartered
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth*
    1 1/2 cups red wine
    2 large sprigs thyme

Method
    Arrange chicken on a large sheet of waxed paper. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly coat chicken all over with flour and set aside.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden and just crisp, 3 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Discard drippings and wipe out skillet. Melt 2 tablespoons butter (or heat oil, if using) in same skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large plate as done and set aside.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter or oil in same skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until edges begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, onions, garlic and salt and cook until vegetables just begin to soften. Transfer vegetables and broth to crock pot. Arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle bacon over chicken. Add wine and thyme sprigs. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.

Nutrition
    Per serving (about 11oz/325g-wt.): 430 calories (220 from fat), 24g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 110mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 26g protein

Miracle Mashies

1 large about 13-oz . potato
    3 cups cauliflower florets
    3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
    1 tablespoon light whipped butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    pepper and additional salt, to taste

Optional
    1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
    Change Measurements: US | Metric
    Directions:Prep Time: 10 minsTotal Time: 20 mins
    1Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, peel and cube the potato. 2Once water is boiling, add peeled potato cubes and cauliflower. Wait for the water to return to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes (until potatoes and cauliflower are very tender). 3Remove the pot from heat and strain out all of the water. Transfer contents to a large bowl, and add half & half, butter/buttery spread, salt, and (if you like) crushed garlic. Mash it all together with a potato masher, until completely blended. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt. Enjoy!

Hungry Girl Miracle Mashies
    Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 5
    Calories 90.8
    Sodium 167.0 mg
    Carbohydrate 16.9 g
    Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
    Sugars 2.4 g
    Protein 2.9 g
  • molissep
    Options
    i love my slow cooker so i'll definitely be trying this one! i've made mashed cauliflower, i mix it with some laughing cow cheese and it's great, but my fiance won't eat it haha. i'll have to give it a shot with the hungry girl recipe! have you ever made the hungry girl loaded potatoe skins? it's one of my favs!
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    No, I haven't. I will have to try it, because I love potato skins!
  • sseus
    sseus Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, cauliflower rice is new to me, I'm ready to try it tonight!
  • molissep
    Options
    if you can't find the recipe for the potatoe skins let me know i have it! i also found a recipe for cupcake lasagna make with wonton wrapers. someone had posted it on here and i'm going to try it this week. i'll let you know how it turns out!
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    Those all sound amazing- I have to try the cauliflower pizza TONIGHT! :D
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a new Diabetic please keep posting some reciepes :-)
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been putting my recipies on my food section. I think if your friends with someone they can see your recipies.
  • mywiiworkouts
    Options
    thank you so much these sound good and healthy I really needed help on what to make for people with diabetes.
  • vfinkenstadt
    Options
    My favorite is white bean chicken green chili> 1 chicken breast, 2 cans of northern white beans, green chilis, 1 can chicken or vegetable broth, onion/garlic, cilantro, cumin, tumeric, coriander. jalepeno optional. place in slow cooker. serve with a dollop of sourcream and a spoonful of pico de gallo. Serves 6. Less than 200 calories per serving. HIgh fiber. Tasty!