Thinking about getting a fitbit....

Options
Is it worth it?! How accurate is it and do people find its easy to use? Because I am so nervous about not loosing weight and over eating or over calculating how many calories I burn I always go under what apps (MapMyFitness) and what the workout machine says in terms of calories I burn. With that said, I see on peoples diaries that the fitbit always tells people that they are actually burning more calories than the apps or machines tell them they did. So that is why accuracy matters to me. Also, does it calculate calories when Im doing things like yoga and on the treadmill?

Thanks for any information people can give me!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Glorified pedometer - get a real HRM for monitoring calories burned while exercising and just know your basic fitness level and what you should be eating.
  • cfoley4
    cfoley4 Posts: 5
    Options
    I love it. It's easy to wear and fun to compete with friends. You're never going to find a device that will be 100% accurate. Sweat for an hour each day, drink tons of water, eat protein and veggies...you'll do it!
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love my "Glorified pedometer" and has helped me lose my weight. I am competitive and love to compete with my RL friends and online fitbit friends. If you like to compete against others I would totally recommend it.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Also, using a HRM and Runkeeper has contributed immensely. I would recommend both also.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit one...it has been a life saver. It allows me to track calories burned and in combination with MFP, Cals eaten vs burned, steps taken, floors climbed- but by far the best info is the calories burned...best investment ever!!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    GET ONE!!!

My ticker shows my weight loss and it works if you need help figuring out your calorie burn for weight loss.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit and a heart rate monitor. The "glorified pedometers" are a bit off in accuracy at times.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit ultra, but it broke after about 1.5 years. I never really used the sleep tracker, so I just replaced it with the fitbit zip. I love how small it is, you can easily hide it. I think you'll be happy if you get one.

Also, it would factor in calories for things like treadmill because you're taking steps. Activities like yoga, you would still need to log in your mfp database. You sink up your mfp account with your fitbit account, and they work together nicely. It's actually less complicated than it sounds.
  • Chez2317
    Chez2317 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had mine for 8 weeks and absolutely love it. Very motivational and VERY addictive lol
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've walked 757 some odd miles (some of them very odd indeed) since I got mine March 3...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These posts were all very helpful! :) I think I am going to get one!
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my FitBit Zip! Using it has finally resulted in a lifestyle change and not just a diet! Calories In/Calories Out! It's great!

I have it linked to MFP and log all food and other types of exercise there.