desperately need recipe help!

Options
ThisisMiss
ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
So I am trying to stay on a strict and nutritious diet for my baby. Unfortunately, I am living with my family at the moment and they have horrible eating habits. My fathers famous quote is 'I WANT high cholesterol! Bring me the bacon, butter, and cheese!' what recipes can you recommend that will give him the illusion of junk food but actually is packed with some food goodness? Ones that hide the vegetables in it are a plus!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My gut reaction is to let dad fend for himself but I don't really have a lot of advice to offer on this one. Maybe sub low sodium bacon, yogurt spread and 2% cheese? I do that to help make my usual recipes healthier. Good luck :)
  • Ittybittymle
    Options
    Sub Greek yogurt for sour cream. It tastes the same, but it's much better for you!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My blog is in my signature...I have to be creative for my picky family, but all the meals are light. Low calorie and lowest fat possible! I update it everyday
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I myself would let your dad fend for himself! Wow, almost makes me sick thinking that way! Are you doing the cooking? If so, yo can cook it and ifnhe doesn't like it he doesn't have to eat it. Anyway, I don't know if this will match your criteria, but I do have a daily cooking blog if you want to check it out.

It's at

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TracieJ65

I can tell you that I cook dishes that taste good but are lower in calories and sodium. I don't have complaint and I cook for a variety of people.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    wow - you have some tasty looking recipes :)...thanks for sharing...
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    give him what he want if he wants to be difficult but cook a healthy version for you. my husband loves patty melts. he lets me use ground turkey, no grease or butter, and i use minimal reduced fat cheese. and leave it open faced for me and he doubles the cheese and bread for him. if you're in his house obviously there are some challenges but if he is in yours then tell him to put up or shut up.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My blog is in my signature...I have to be creative for my picky family, but all the meals are light. Low calorie and lowest fat possible! I update it everyday

these recipes sound delicious!!!...thanks for sharing!
  • CaperDragon
    Options
    I find chili is pretty hearty and easy to pack full of veggies. Any basic chili recipe with lots of beans and you can add ground turkey instead of beef. Add celery, grated carrot, peppers, and mushrooms. If you family want to add cholesterol with sour cream, cheese, nachos, or whatever, that's their choice.

Butter chicken is another one that's good, you can get some prepackaged sauces that are easy to add, or even making your own isn't that hard. You can add spinach at the end, just before serving to add iron.

Hope that helps.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Maybe try turkey bacon or ground turkey. If you use ground turkey make sure it's all white meat and not made with skin and/or dark meat because then the ground turkey meat could be as unhealthy as ground hamburger :smile:
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you really have to cook for him but make your self something healthly!! You need to take care of you and baby!! Take care...good luck:)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Check out Hungrygirl.com~ lots of good receipes and tips!
  • stroud62455
    Options
    That can be ery tough! I am battling somewhat of a similar problem. My family wants to eat all the things that I am trying to stay away from. However, here is one recipe they love. Try it and see if your day loves it as well.

Sauteed chicken

6 chicken thighs (fat and skin removed)
    Cooking spray
    1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
    1 tbsp Mrs. Dash
    1-2 tbsp lite sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup water

Pat chicken dry and season well. Spray teflon skillet with cooking spray and preheat the pan. Place chicken in pan and allow to brown cooking in own juices and water. Place lid on and simmer slowly. Turn thighs occassionally to even browning. After juices have cooked down, remove lid and allow chicken to continue cook until juicees have cooked down.

Serve rolls and a tossed salad to complete the meal
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice..I've saved the blogs and websites! The problem is that we both take turns doing the grocery shopping (I am living in his house atm) so when I go with him and he is the one paying that time, It's hard for me to sneak in too many low-fat, etc things. A lot of times I do end up having to make two separate meals, but they usually have leftovers of theirs and it goes to waste and I hate wasted food! I just thought if I could just make something for all of us, there might be less food waste. To be honest, living back home during my pregnancy is generally a food nightmare!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Check out Hungrygirl.com~ lots of good receipes and tips!

i second this!
  • rhawkins26
    Options
    If you make vegetable soup and then puree it all, it seems more like a cream soup. And the Greek-style yogurt is fabulous. If you put a bit of maple syrup in, it is only slightly more caloric and makes an awesome dip for fruit.
  • LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to use ground turkey and turkey bacon. Tastes great and is lower in fat. I use the ground turkey in place of beef in a mexican lasagna and it is wonderful. Turkey bacon can be a tad chewy but the taste...YUM!
  • SewLisa
    SewLisa Posts: 22
    Options
    If he is excited about being a grandpa, you might get hum to understand that you need to eat healthier for his grandbaby to be healthy.

This may be a little more under handed, but....

Ask your doctor to give you some literature about eating healthy while pregnant, and ask him for his help. Make sure you don't make it about his eating choices at this point, make it about the baby.

My daughter in law tried this tactic when she was pregnant with her first child and they were living with her parents. It didn't help her mom eat better, and she still had to cook 2 meals (look online for meals for 1-2 people) but her mom was at least open to buying healthy food for her and baby.

Good Luck! and don't give up hope, there are lots of us grandparents out here who are learning how to be healthy too. And it can be scarey to try to learn new tricks,