Law School made me Fat

Options

Replies

• Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

Truth
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Hello,

NO I am at Law School now, heres hoping it doesn't happen to me lol
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Lawyers :-p .. it's always someone else's fault [/piss take]
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The first thing that you should do is sue that law school for making you fat. :bigsmile:

edit: spelling
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Obviously most of you have never been to law school. It is brutal. When it is a choice between getting a couple hours of sleep a night or going to the gym, it is hard to stay in shape. So easy for everyone to say just get up a couple hours earlier, workout before class, because you know 2 hours a sleep a night is fine. And there's definitely no stress when your entire semester grade is based on ONE test and who needs to study for that? Go to the gym instead. Right. Law School didn't make me fat,but it sure as hell didn't help.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Obviously most of you have never been to law school. It is brutal. When it is a choice between getting a couple hours of sleep a night or going to the gym, it is hard to stay in shape. So easy for everyone to say just get up a couple hours earlier, workout before class, because you know 2 hours a sleep a night is fine. And there's definitely no stress when your entire semester grade is based on ONE test and who needs to study for that? Go to the gym instead. Right. Law School didn't make me fat,but it sure as hell didn't help.

Boo Ho [violins]

Except, councillor, a thin body is made in the Kitchen not the gym. It's 'less' important to exercise than it is to eat correctly.
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No sympathy for lawyers here...lol. When people found out I was in law school, they always congratulated me and acted like they were so impressed. Now that I have graduated and passed the bar, when people find out I'm a lawyer they mostly react with scowls, bad lawyer jokes, or stories about how a family member got screwed by a lawyer (because that is what we apparently do best!) but then secretly pull me aside to solicit free legal advice. Where's the love?...lol
  • ccpauley
    ccpauley Posts: 70
    Options
    I think the insulting ones are missing the point here. It's not about blaming law school or blaming yourself for what you do or don't eat. The fact of the matter is, this guy is asking for help not insults and grief about "oh you've only got yourself to blame". Lookk in the mirror and remember why we are all here.

The priority it graduating and if you can fit a healthy lifestyle into it, then even better. Oh yeah and how many have kids? That sure will throw a spanner in the works trying to juggle that. I know it's hard for me and I'm not even at law school yet haha.

Good luck to you :wink:
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think the insulting ones are missing the point here. It's not about blaming law school or blaming yourself for what you do or don't eat. The fact of the matter is, this guy is asking for help not insults and grief about "oh you've only got yourself to blame". Lookk in the mirror and remember why we are all here.

The priority it graduating and if you can fit a healthy lifestyle into it, then even better. Oh yeah and how many have kids? That sure will throw a spanner in the works trying to juggle that. I know it's hard for me and I'm not even at law school yet haha.

Good luck to you :wink:

You only receive support here if you follow the herd and do it exactly one way. Everyone else gets attacked. Of the message boards I read regularly, this is easily the most unfriendly.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot during law school as well. Steady diet of pizza, pasta, chocolate, crisps and booze over 4 years.:drinker: Add no time for exercise (or sleep) and you have yourself a perfect recipe for a weight disaster.:frown:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You are arguing semantics. I am sure he realizes what he ate during law school made him fat. Jeeze.

More seriously, this. I do think it's helpful to analyze the factors that contributed to leading a lifestyle that caused you to end up in worse shape or heavier than you'd like. Looking at things like stress and priorities and letting other things go or balancing badly is important in changing it. I don't think that's denying personal responsibility, but being logical in what you need to change or avoid.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So what's the OP going to do when they begin working 100 hours a week at the law firm?
  • camiann585
    camiann585 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Obviously a lot of people do not know how stressful and taxing law school is. Good luck.
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In on a 'I went to law school' brag thread :D

Only kidding.

Went to law school, too. Not blaming it for putting on weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Obviously a lot of people do not know how stressful and taxing law school is. Good luck.

And being a first year is going to be cake?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP did take personal responsibility by seeking to go to grad school/become an attorney. Those who say he needs to take responsibility are probably still taking adult GED classes.

He can cut the weight pretty quickly, you can't get a law degree quickly...if at all.

Writing case briefs may be one of the worst things ever...
    Umm, what??
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

Law school was arguably the proximate cause. Any alleged failure to take personal responsibility just makes him an eggshell plaintiff. He should sue. On the other hand, law schools usually have good defense lawyers, and there's probably an assumption of risk. Plus, no relevant duty, major causation issues, and, really, what are the pecuniary damages?

Uh, anyway, welcome to MFP, OP!

Did the school disclose accurately the level of stress typically incurred and perform due diligence to ensure that the plaintiff was aware of all of the potential risks to his health and mental well-being as a result of his enrollment? The pressure applied by the school and it's agents was obviously the proximate cause of the plaintiff's increased stress and mental anguish and is therefore directly responsible for the plaintiff's weight gain. Without said stress and mental anguish that as noted previously may not have been disclosed adequately, it is plain to see that the plaintiff would not have had to resort to coping mechanisms that ultimately led to the alleged damages. In summary: The plaintiff was harmed, the school and it's agents were the proximate cause of that harm and the plaintiff should be compensated for the resultant damages to his health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is calories in, calories out, then workouts shouldn't be the issue.
    If you're going to get/stay in shape, you are going to have to figure out how. It's NOT going to get easier. Or just try to be skinny fat.

signed: I gained about 15Lbs during my Ph.D. dissertation because I ate a lot of twizzlers and combos, and drank a fair amount of beer.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I feel like im in an episode of law and order. U guys are so smart ;)