"Diet Fat Burning Soup" Legit?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've just done this properly for the first time (didn't work when I was drinking alcohol or cheated!! :D ) and I've lost 9lb in 7 days - for the first time in months I can see a difference yaaay :) surely it can't all be water weight as I drink about 2litres a day minimum. I think this is a great boost if you're already on a healthy eating plan back to high protein, low carb and lots and lots of veg next week so hoping I'll stay at this weight and get back into losing! (wouldnt expect it to if I was eating pizza, Mc D's etc its not a miracle plan)

You're right, 9lbs in 7 days can't all be water.....just 98%, with muscle mass loss as well.

You didn't lose before while "drinking and cheating", as you weren't eating in a deficit then. Why wouldn't people be able to lose by fitting pizza and Mc D's into their calorie/macro goals?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This thread is 2 years old and the OP hasn't posted since :p

I bit.... I hate myself now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    who doesn't love a good zombie thread though? It's like watching an old movie all over again....

20100916023519_217_Necromancy.jpg
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Anything cabbage soup is all the rage these days...off and on.....for weight loss. Particularly the peppers and the onions, since they raise the body temperature they help burn more calories supposedly.....sure, go ahead if you like soups ;) I'm not a big fan of soup though...just watch the sodium intake.....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Back in the 70's this was called the "Dolly Parton" diet............notice it's very low fat.....very old school.

I'm sure it's just miraculous :noway: since it's been around so long. They must be running out of new ideas.......seriously wouldn't everyone be thin already if this worked.

Instead of a bullion cube you could use Lipton Soup mix if you're determined.
  • kellyjj123
    kellyjj123 Posts: 1
    Options
    This really works if you stick to it back in the day my mom did this and it worked,that was 20years ago she has kept the weight off every 12 weeks she repeats this for a week just to clean out her system
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that this is based on the "Negtive Calorie Foods" list. I'm sure you've all seen it circulated around. The list of foods that contain less calories than you burn consuming them.

All in all, it won't work. Well, it will, but you'll gain in all back as soon as you jump off. Just like the 72hour Hollywood Juice Diet, Cabage Soup Diet, Grapefruit Diet.....

Not only do "negative calories" "not work", they cannot work as advertised. It is impossible for a food to "burn up" more calories than it contains.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that this is based on the "Negtive Calorie Foods" list. I'm sure you've all seen it circulated around. The list of foods that contain less calories than you burn consuming them.

All in all, it won't work. Well, it will, but you'll gain in all back as soon as you jump off. Just like the 72hour Hollywood Juice Diet, Cabage Soup Diet, Grapefruit Diet.....

Not only do "negative calories" "not work", they cannot work as advertised. It is impossible for a food to "burn up" more calories than it contains.

I think that some foods actually contain less calories than your body uses to digest them. Celery, for example? And maybe cabbage.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's not the soup that's magic, it's that you're eating soup (often a low calorie soup) and NOT eating all the other high calorie stuff, so you end up eating at a deficit.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What's with all the 1st posts on how great this stinky soup thing works??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I think that some foods actually contain less calories than your body uses to digest them. Celery, for example? And maybe cabbage.

Again, that is impossible. The myth comes from either a misunderstanding or deliberate distortion of the TEF concept. The TEF is a percentage, not a fixed number. So even if a food contained only 1 calorie, it would still expend a surplus of energy. This is the same concept that disproves the "many small meals per day increases metabolism myth". Google "negative calorie myth" for more detail.

It's likely this idea evolved because certain foods contain very few calories and a lot of bulk. So you can eat them in virtually unlimited quantities. Eating a high volume can lead to feelings of fullness without eating a lot of calories. It is easy to see where one might think these foods have "negative" energy.

But they don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    About a legit as a politician that doesn't lie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I knew a couple of family members who touted the cabbage soup diet as a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Yeah, I'm going to eat nothing but cabbage soup for the rest of my life. NOT. the only soup that actually burns calories is EXERCISE SOUP. Take a little walking and mix in some Zumba and weights and running and spin along with some yoga and stir it all together and you have one mean fat burning soup.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Those vegetables are healthful and can be filling but eating small bits of it with mostly water/salt is basically a fast. These ultra-low short term diets are useful in getting the scale to read a lower number due to you losing water weight but be forewarned that they also usually put in a catabolic state in which your body will burn some of your lean muscle mass to fuel itself. This results in a lower metabolism and once you start to eat "normal," you'll find that you'll gain fat more easily.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Those vegetables are healthful and can be filling but eating small bits of it with mostly water/salt is basically a fast. These ultra-low short term diets are useful in getting the scale to read a lower number due to you losing water weight but be forewarned that they also usually put in a catabolic state in which your body will burn some of your lean muscle mass to fuel itself. This results in a lower metabolism and once you start to eat "normal," you'll find that you'll gain fat more easily.

No...it does not lower your metabolism.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My guess is like any fad diet, you will initially lose the weight but when you get off the diet, and you will have to because it is unsustainable, you will gain all of the weight back and probably more.

Yes. *nods head*
    The soup is tastes good to eat once in a while though!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    well it's unlikely anyone will gain eating that because it's just vegetable soup and that's a low calorie density food

but it will give you *some* calories

and this "the more you eat the more you lose" thing is incorrect.

the negative calorie food thing is based on the idea that some vegetables require more calories to be digested than you get from eating them.... the digestive system is an energy expensive one, but eating vegetable soup isn't going to make it burn that much more energy than not eating vegetable soup. The energy used by your digestive system comes under your BMR calories, and a bowl of vegetable soup isn't going to increase your BMR.... if you compare someone who eats a high protein, high fibre diet who also gets all their carbs from starches rather than sugar, their digestive system would burn very slightly more calories than someone who gets their food from white carbs and protein powder..... but that difference is only really measurable when you consider the diet as a whole. Additionally, liquid foods are easier to digest, so whatever miniscule increase in the amount of calories your digestive system burns in digesting vegetables is negated by the time you make it into a soup. And there's not a huge difference anyway.

The main benefit from this soup is that it contains a lot of micronutrients. It's also a low calorie dense food that has a high water content, so that makes it a good food choice for someone who's eating for fat loss. But that's as far as the benefits go. If someone wants their digestive system to burn more calories, a high protein, high fibre diet would do that, and eating more starch and fewer simple sugars. But the difference will be tiny - the main health benefits of more protein, starch and fibre have to do with things other than how much energy your digestive system is burning.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    This great fat burning soup recipe is too restrictive and sound miserable.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did it once 6 years ago and lost about 10lbs then I started eating healthy from then on. It was a good jump starter.
  • sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    SIX LARGE onions, and only a half of head of cabbage? You may lose weight, but you'd probably lose your friends too! That's a lot of onions.