Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions here. :)
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I add this with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.......

sriracha.jpg
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh my glory, I eat brown rice EVERY day. At least 1/2 cup (uncooked). I make a big batch at the beginning of the week since it takes so long to cook. I use organic vegetable broth instead of water. Also, a little apple cider vinegar helps!
  • tlaurenw
    Options
    I either add a spoonful of salsa to mine or some Cholula hot sauce. I really hate the taste of brown rice!
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i like mine with kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and A-1 steak sauce
  • ballstatefan05
    ballstatefan05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, after reading all the comments here, I just made some kick *kitten* instant minute brown rice. I used a combo of olive oil and butter in a skillet, added chopped onion and garlic. Dumped in a cup of brown rice. meanwhile I have 1.5 cups of water with 2 bouillon cubes on the stove. I sauted the rice, onion and garlic till browned. Added rice to boiling water and boiled for 5 min or until most of the water was gone, then took it off the stove and probably let it sit for 10-15 min to make sure all the flavors marinated and it soaked up all the water, I also added some chopped chives. The box only calls for 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice, but I used more and it soaked it all up. Let me tell ya, It's GOOD!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love turning brown rice in to "fried rice"

Cook the rice as usual, then cook a scrambled egg or two. I add that, some diced chicken breast and whatever vegetables I have on hand (last time I used mushrooms, carrots, kale and a mixed bag of frozen veggies) all together in a big bowl and add a little soy sauce.

I make sure to serve it up with a measuring cup, but it is soooo yummy.
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Saute 1 c sliced fresh mushrooms and 1/2 large onion chopped in 1 T olive oil. Stir in one cup of brown rice. Then stir in 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth. Bring to boil. Then turn to low and simmer while covered for 55 min. Let stand 5 min. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and enjoy. Love this and so does my family.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I know that brown rice is supposed to be very good for you. My problem is that I can't make it taste that good. It either never cooks properly or when it does, it's just very bland and plain. Any tips or ideas for making it taste yummy so I enjoy eating it instead of feeling like I have to force myself? Thanks for your help!
    If you don't like it, don't force yourself to eat it? White rice is slightly less nutritionally, but for most people taste just fine and doesn't require as much attention prepping it.
    I think what will make brown rice taste better is what you accompany with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't put all that crap on your rice, just buy a quality rice. My recommendation is http://www.amazon.com/Kagayaki-Brown-Rice-4-4-lbs/dp/B0058OKON6 (Kagayaki) but the Nishiki one is good too. Brown rice is just unpolished white rice (white rice with the hull/bran still on there) so honestly, there's no reason you can't just eat white rice, the only difference is the level of processing and the nutritional and glycemic value I think. Calorically they are identical. They also make an incredible six grain rice (http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/6-grain-rice-2-2-lbs) as well as a superior white rice.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Mix in some creamed red beans and some spicy andouille sausage with some good hot sauce and it tastes great.
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't put all that crap on your rice, just buy a quality rice. My recommendation is http://www.amazon.com/Kagayaki-Brown-Rice-4-4-lbs/dp/B0058OKON6 (Kagayaki) but the Nishiki one is good too. Brown rice is just unpolished white rice (white rice with the hull/bran still on there) so honestly, there's no reason you can't just eat white rice, the only difference is the level of processing and the nutritional and glycemic value I think. Calorically they are identical. They also make an incredible six grain rice (http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/6-grain-rice-2-2-lbs) as well as a superior white rice.

i agree. the rest of my [asian] family eats a bowl of good quality PLAIN white rice at every meal and they're all fit and healthy, and the rice we eat is fragrant and delicious. i get that brown rice has more fiber, but if it doesn't taste good to you i don't think it should be worth it.

i don't personally understand the need to add stock, popcorn flavorings, etc etc to rice... i assume you're not eating it by itself anyway, the other dishes you're eating at your meal should complement the rice. when i first moved back to america after a long period away, i was shocked that my white friends always added butter to their rice directly. seemed sacrilegous to me. :P
  • eclat80
    eclat80 Posts: 12
    Options
    soak it in water with a bit of apple cider vinegar and add a little butter when cooking. Tastes wonderful.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Strong thread resurrection!

I cook brown rice the same way I cook white rice: in broth or vegetable juice together with frozen veggies. I've also made it plain with a little salt and that tastes nice too (but a little too plain, same as plain white rice).

Since it's a recurrent topic, I will say this: brown rice was an acquired taste for me. Bought a bag once and hated it at first but finished it since I don't throw out food and it grew on me. Now I prefer it to white rice.

I have yet to try making a proper risotto or pilaf with brown rice though.
  • littlebylittlebylittle
    Options

I have yet to try making a proper risotto or pilaf with brown rice though.

I make brown rice risotto a lot, and it's just as delicious as regular risotto! Just boil the rice for an extra 15-20 minutes before you start, and make your risotto like normal. One of my favorite brown rice dishes with pumpkin or mushrooms :happy:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    Long grain brown basmati
    Ghee
    Pulao spice mix from any Indian mkt

We use long grain brown basmati in a Salton rice cooker. 2 cup rice to 3 cup water. VERY important- rinse your rice til the water is clear. in a skillet I heat a tbsp of ghee and warm a 1/2 -1 tsp of Pulao spice mix until fragrant then dump into the rice cooker along with the water and rice. Another trick is to put a chicken leg or thigh with some seasoning and 1/2cup of frozen pease nestled down in the rice. Now you have a whole meal in 25-30 min. When the rice cooker turns off wait 8-10 min before opening.
    I highly recommend looking at you tube rice cooker vids for ideas. Rinsing the excess starch and processing dirt off the rice and proper seasoning to your taste will drastically improve the flavor and texture. Different types of brown rice require different amounts of water in individual cookers. You also need to try all the different types of brown rice to find the one you like. Short grain vs long grain, Korean vs basmati, instant/parboiled vs minimally processed.
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options

i agree. the rest of my [asian] family eats a bowl of good quality PLAIN white rice at every meal and they're all fit and healthy, and the rice we eat is fragrant and delicious. i get that brown rice has more fiber, but if it doesn't taste good to you i don't think it should be worth it.

i don't personally understand the need to add stock, popcorn flavorings, etc etc to rice... i assume you're not eating it by itself anyway, the other dishes you're eating at your meal should complement the rice. when i first moved back to america after a long period away, i was shocked that my white friends always added butter to their rice directly. seemed sacrilegous to me. :P

As I'm reading your post I'm eating a small bowl of plain white rice with some tiny crunchy fish/sesame seeds topping on the side that I made. It's really good.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Use broth or stock instead of water; lightly saute aromatics (onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, etc.) & add to the rice; add herbs and/or spices you like..............
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big eater of rice in the first place but I am especially not fond of brown rice either. So what I do is pretty simple and still don't eat too much rice. I first wash the brown rice and then soak the rice for about 1 hour in clean water. While 1/2 - 1 cup of brown rice is soaking for the 1 hour I then do a few things preparing the rest of dinner. and about 15 minutes 'til the hour I wash 1/2 to 1 cup equal white rice. After the hour I place both rices mixed into the rice cooker and cook as usual--Turns out perfect every time!

This might not be a great substitute for those that eat rice everyday but for the once in awhile time from time eating rice it is great and everyone loves it.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas!! Thank you all!!