56 Calorie Brownies

Options
DawnOf1969
DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
Warning: contains artificial sweetener

Nutritionals or to log them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/334303

These were adapted from Allrecipes.com "Best Brownies" that was in the top 10 recipes for 2010.
Makes 16 brownies

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Equal Spoonfuls (or equivalent other sweetener)
1/2 cup egg beaters
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
Stir together applesauce, sugars, egg beaters, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared 9" pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.

Cut into 16 squares.

Replies

• manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to get the ingredients and make them.
  • torrtorrr
    Options
    can you swap out the white sugar for more splenda or artificial sweetener?
  • Rhammond8
    Options
    OMG BROWNIES ARE MY WEAKNESS.. I'M MAKING THESE TONIGHT!! :) Thanks!!!!! hehe
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    TorrTorrr: I'm not sure. It might change the consistency of the brownies. Never tried it. But if you do, let us know!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Bump! I am soooo making these tomorrow. I am going to try them with Splenda since that's what I have too.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YUMMY! I can't wait to try these.
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    Bump! These sound good. Can't wait to try them.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Well, there's a pan of brownies on my stovetop and the verdict is in :)

I used Splenda granulated which measures the same as sugar.

The result was a very cake like brownie. It reminded me very much of eating a heated slice of (yummy) cake with no icing. Nice and moist, baked exactly 25 minutes. The reality for me, though, was that 16 portions was way too many. Each brownie was far too tiny to be what I would consider a nice treat, rather than just a bite. So I cut my 8" pan into 8 squares, which was still only 112 cals per brownie. But then they were large enough that I felt like I actually had a brownie, LOL.

I would definitely make them again. The problem is now that they're sitting there, I want to go eat more of them.
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    BTW, when I put mine into the recipe calculator, mine came out to only 98 cals per "double" serving, so 49 cals per serving if cut as directed in the recipe.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these:!
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made these last night. I didn't have egg beaters so used 2 whole eggs. Used my brownie pan which cut them into 18 pieces so the brownies ended up being 48 cal each even with whole eggs. They were cake like and very tasty! A great chocolate treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    There is a frosting that is supposed to go on top but they are fine without it.