"All in moderation."

Options

Replies

• WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It really is a mental thing. It's like a battle with myself which I keep on losing. One day I'll do well but then just fail the next. I want to not deprive myself, I need to not deprive myself thus why I bought trigger food because I don't want it to be a trigger food! I just want it to be food. That's it. I can't keep bread out of the house as people I'm living with eat them and it's very accessible to everyone. I know I should change the way I think, that's what I'm trying to do. I've also tried reaching my saturation point with certain food and it has worked but with bread and pastries, I just cannot seem to get enough. I DO want to lose weight. I want to be confident again but sometimes when I have the bread something takes over and all logic and reasoning go out the drain.

Thank you for the responses everyone! I shall try freezing the bread but knowing me, I'd probably eat it frozen still. Yeah, it's that bad. Lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it with some things. Work in progress definitely... But I think in the end I'd rather enjoy one slice guilt free than 5 and feel horrible about it, you know?
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean that you have your trigger foods every day. If bread is your weakness, have a roll or two at dinner out, don't torture yourself by keeping it in the fridge, and don't torture yourself by swearing to never touch the stuff. I'm actually a Nutritrarian, but I still eat my favorite treat foods in moderation. I have crowded out the sweets and processed foods so that I have them much less, but I still indulge on occasion. Also, choose your battles. I'm fine with red meat only once a month, but I have a glass of wine almost daily. A lot of people who say that everything is fine in moderation, don't actually eat everything, they just eat the foods that are worth it to them and work them in responsibly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to know that I can have it whenever I want. I eat one serving (or a half serving) of ice cream, since I know I can have it again tomorrow if I want. Also, neadermagnon's post here is great and her example and how it worked was helpful for me when I saw her talk about it in another thread, so I recommend it.

But it's going to be harder with some foods and in some frames of mind, so it's good to be aware of how you feel and why you are eating it too. When I first started this I knew I was using food to deal with emotions, so I did just ban those foods for a couple of weeks to teach myself to find other ways to deal with the emotions/stress besides the food (and that I didn't, in fact, need to eat ice cream out of the pint to do so). Now, I may have it around, but I'm conscious about not reaching for it because I feel bad.

Also, it's really helpful to avoid those patterns of shame and deprivation when you do overeat. If you eat more than you like just log it in (I know you do). It's not the end of the world if you blow your deficit occasionally, but for me it's meant that it really does need to be worth it, and not the more mindless eating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know it works for a lot of people. Some may have more self control than others though, I don't.

How the f do you train yourself to have everything in moderation?

I tried this, I bought a loaf of bread which is my ultimate weakness. I told myself I could have some tomorrow or one slice a day. That didn't work. As soon as I got a whiff of that amazing dates and walnut bread, I just had to have it. I had one slice which turned into 2 then it became 5. I could've eaten the whole loaf if I didn't stop myself.

How did you go about having your favorite things "in moderation"?
    It's truly a mental thing. For instance if you ABSOLUTELY knew that eating a second slice would leave you sitting on the john for 2 days straight, would you be really willing to risk eating that 2nd slice? Probably not. So why is it so hard right now? Because the consequence of you eating those extra slices aren't "threatening" enough to you to stop. In other words, you're not truly convinced enough that weight loss is that important to you if you're eating that 2nd, 3rd, and 5th slice. Change your mindset, and the rest gets easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    LOL. Well put. Love the toilet comparison. It IS a mental thing.
    OP: decide what works for you. It may be "moderation", and it may be substitution...or something else. You'll figure it out. (hint: I'd avoid food as a reward for working out.)
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It became easier for me when I realized that weight loss and maintenance is important to me. One of my many weaknesses are the tortilla chips and dip at mexican food restaurants. My fajitas aren't bad at all, chicken in tortillas is easy to fit into my calorie goals for the day. But those chips that have 140 calories in 7 of them! I normally want to just keep grabbing and grabbing from that basket. I've found it much easier to control that by putting 7 on my napkin or on an extra plate and just eating those. And reminding myself that 7 extra trips is not worth the way I'll feel when the end of the day comes and I've over in calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It became easier for me when I realized that weight loss and maintenance is important to me. One of my many weaknesses are the tortilla chips and dip at mexican food restaurants. My fajitas aren't bad at all, chicken in tortillas is easy to fit into my calorie goals for the day. But those chips that have 140 calories in 7 of them! I normally want to just keep grabbing and grabbing from that basket. I've found it much easier to control that by putting 7 on my napkin or on an extra plate and just eating those. And reminding myself that 7 extra trips is not worth the way I'll feel when the end of the day comes and I've over in calories.
    Tortilla chips are my weakness too. I allow myself some at mexican restaurants, but try to keep them out of the house!
  • kk_140
    Options
    Tortilla chips are my weakness too. I allow myself some at mexican restaurants, but try to keep them out of the house!

Yes, definitely not in the house! But as I said, it is a little easier if you pre-measure out the portion size. Those baskets are so non-threatening, but so easy to get carried away in! lol
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    But I eventually put the package down and walked away. Why? Because the idea of being fat for a single day longer than I absolutely have to brings me infinitely more displeasure than the pleasure those cookies would provide.

This. 100% This. I HATED how I felt when I was heavy. I hated that family members felt making negative comments about my body was acceptable. I hated how I looked in the mirror. And I had no one to blame but myself and my own lack of control.

How I eat in moderation: I visualize what I will look like when I reach my goal weight every single night before I go to sleep. I lay there for about 10 minutes and picture smaller-self doing various activities, engaging with people, trying on clothes, etc. And when that urge to eat an entire bag of chips sweeps up on me, I reflect back to how miserable I was when I was heavier, and how I feel now, and then I bring forth the future me, and she's all like, "Put those DAMNED chips down, Woman! NOT ONE DAY FATTER THAN YOU HAVE TO BE." And I relinquish my firm, trembling grasp of the chips, and walk away. I am 15 pounds away from my goal weight. Future Me is so proud of Present Me.

So yeah. Is it a little crazy? Probably. But that's how I roll, yo.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm a puzzle fan. I love puzzles. And organizing things. I love to see the way things fit together.

Which, I think, is why this site is a good fit for me. I like to see the way my food choices add up together.

So I might have that one slice of yummy bread and log it. And look at what it does to my totals for the day. Then if I'm really wanting another slice, I'll add that to my diary and see where it puts me. If I am still going to be 'under' for the day, I'll go for it. If it just puts me a little bit 'over' I'll think about it. Most of the time I'll go ahead and let myself go a little bit 'over' if it's something I really really want.

But I do enjoy looking at those numbers and sometimes I'll just play around with the logging and enter one slice, then enter two, then enter three. And then compare those totals. For me, seeing the jump in numbers makes the decision-making process more real.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it with some things. Work in progress definitely... But I think in the end I'd rather enjoy one slice guilt free than 5 and feel horrible about it, you know?

Yeah, I totally get you but now I'm scared that one might turn into five!! It's all in the mind. I need to be stronger.
    It doesn't mean that you have your trigger foods every day. If bread is your weakness, have a roll or two at dinner out, don't torture yourself by keeping it in the fridge, and don't torture yourself by swearing to never touch the stuff. I'm actually a Nutritrarian, but I still eat my favorite treat foods in moderation. I have crowded out the sweets and processed foods so that I have them much less, but I still indulge on occasion. Also, choose your battles. I'm fine with red meat only once a month, but I have a glass of wine almost daily. A lot of people who say that everything is fine in moderation, don't actually eat everything, they just eat the foods that are worth it to them and work them in responsibly.

Yeah, I don't think I can swear off bread. I'd go crazy. The horrible eating habits I've developed started after Easter. I gave up sweets for lent and when I could finally have it... I went kind of crazy and well that was a disaster.
    Also, it's really helpful to avoid those patterns of shame and deprivation when you do overeat. If you eat more than you like just log it in (I know you do). It's not the end of the world if you blow your deficit occasionally, but for me it's meant that it really does need to be worth it, and not the more mindless eating.

Yes, I log everything-- the good, the bad and the ugly. I can't help but feel bad after but it's like I set myself a deadline for losing the weight. I want to lose it as quick as possible and then I slip up so the progress I've finally achieved has been negated. I should start looking at it as a big picture. I think I'm rushing the weight loss too much. I just want my confidence back already! The weight gain has definitely made my self esteem go dooooooooooooooown. way down.
    OP: decide what works for you. It may be "moderation", and it may be substitution...or something else. You'll figure it out. (hint: I'd avoid food as a reward for working out.)

I don't really reward myself for working out, I just seem to reach for the wrong food because it's more convenient when I *need* to eat back exercise calories. That's what gets me in trouble. I'd have one slice then... bam. I'll be a crumb face.
    It became easier for me when I realized that weight loss and maintenance is important to me. One of my many weaknesses are the tortilla chips and dip at mexican food restaurants

Funny how we all have different weaknesses. I could easily ignore chips even chocolate but bread is just... aghh. Downfall. Sometimes I wish I just hated it. Hahaha
    This. 100% This. I HATED how I felt when I was heavy. I hated that family members felt making negative comments about my body was acceptable. I hated how I looked in the mirror. And I had no one to blame but myself and my own lack of control.

How I eat in moderation: I visualize what I will look like when I reach my goal weight every single night before I go to sleep. I lay there for about 10 minutes and picture smaller-self doing various activities, engaging with people, trying on clothes, etc. And when that urge to eat an entire bag of chips sweeps up on me, I reflect back to how miserable I was when I was heavier, and how I feel now, and then I bring forth the future me, and she's all like, "Put those DAMNED chips down, Woman! NOT ONE DAY FATTER THAN YOU HAVE TO BE." And I relinquish my firm, trembling grasp of the chips, and walk away. I am 15 pounds away from my goal weight. Future Me is so proud of Present Me.

So yeah. Is it a little crazy? Probably. But that's how I roll, yo.

I do talk myself out of it sometimes or I try to. Most of the time I lose but that's a good way to do it. I want Future Me to be proud of Present Me too!
    Which, I think, is why this site is a good fit for me. I like to see the way my food choices add up together.

So I might have that one slice of yummy bread and log it. And look at what it does to my totals for the day. Then if I'm really wanting another slice, I'll add that to my diary and see where it puts me. If I am still going to be 'under' for the day, I'll go for it. If it just puts me a little bit 'over' I'll think about it. Most of the time I'll go ahead and let myself go a little bit 'over' if it's something I really really want.

But I do enjoy looking at those numbers and sometimes I'll just play around with the logging and enter one slice, then enter two, then enter three. And then compare those totals. For me, seeing the jump in numbers makes the decision-making process more real.

Interesting how this works huh? I found it cool too! I felt like an accountant balancing all macros and which would yield to the best macro filling food choice!!

Again, thank you so much for the replies!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm a puzzle fan. I love puzzles. And organizing things. I love to see the way things fit together.

Totally this. That's what I've been doing the whole time. When I see my calories for dinner are getting really low, I double think it. Because bottom line, red numbers mean not losing weight (or gaining), and I'd rather avoid that... The food will still be there tomorrow, or I can make/buy more if needed (that's why baked goods are tougher for me though, as they're not as tasty the second day, but I tell myself I can always make more).
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well for me, my weakness is chocolate. If I bought a bag of chocolate, I couldn't trust myself to NOT eat all of it in one day. Same goes for chocolate cookies, etc. Anything chocolate (lol). So what I did was buy ONE chocolate bar every once in a while, to eat for that day. If I only had one chocolate bar, I could only eat one. It worked out perfectly.

Now . . . I've come to the point where if I buy a chocolate bar, I won't always eat it that day. Happened to me last night. True story. I bought a Twix. Had the calories for it. But didn't really want it. I think that by letting myself HAVE the chocolate over the last 2 months (while accounting for it), while simultaneously keeping myself in check by not letting myself over-indulge on it (by not buying large proportions of it), is starting to take away the thrill of it. Ya know?

Maybe you can buy your favorite snacks in small quantities like I did. Just one serving of it. Every day or other day, or whenever the craving strikes. Eat it. Track it. And move on. I'm not at the point yet where I could buy an entire bag of chocolates and trust myself not to eat all of them- at least I don't think I am- but I know that I'll get there some day.... and I'm sure you will too. Good luck.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I practiced. I still sometimes go overboard and ruin my goal for that day, but I understand that the very second after I screw up, I can be right back on track. I stopped telling myself I'll do better "tomorrow" and started telling myself "Oops, I screwed up. Time to get back to it right now!" I actually have a couple bags of mini snickers and milky-way in my pantry that have been opened for about a month and are still there. It's impressive. I try to keep things I like that much out of sight. I have a closet that's not even in my kitchen where I've been storing overly-desirable foods. I think I'd be okay to keep them in plain sight at this point now that I'm thinking about it. It's really a mind-set. When/if you're ready, you will figure out your own way to say no. At this point, maybe buy it infrequently, or freeze individual portions immediately after purchase and thaw it the day before you plan on eating it?
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I haven't mastered it either. Homemade bread is my worst! Still warm with butter yum! I make these three bun loaves And a slice turns into a third of the bread, So unfortunately for my family, I'm not making it for awhile!
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    3 weeks out of every 5, I can eat 1/4 of a cookie, a sliver of cake, a half cup of ice cream and be satisfied and proud of myself that I'm on the right track. The other 2 weeks, I have to limit my exposure to those trigger foods because I have less self control at those times of the month. The important thing is to be aware of your limitations and trigger days/times of day. I also have an easier time cutting a doughnut into fourths in the teachers' lounge if I do so AFTER I've eaten my lunch. I wouldn't think of approaching the box if I am physically hungry. (Much like the dangers of shopping while hungry.)

Keeping track of your triggers is worthwhile and necessary for most of us.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I found that as soon as I realised I could have it, but because it would cause me to miss my goals I didn't want it. Once it wasn't forbidden it lost a lot of appeal for me. Just a little change in mindset helped me so much. When my husband asks me if I can have seconds of something I just go "I can have it, but I don't want it."
  • marianneread
    marianneread Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's definitely mental, and personal. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. When I struggle, I tell myself this:

Willpower is a choice between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.

It's the best thing I've found to remind myself that I would rather be healthy.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The thing about self-control (or willpower or whatever else you want to call it) is that it's an useful tool but it's not the only one and it has its limitations. I nearly developed a binging problem by asking too much of mine.

I find the most useful thing to do is to listen to your body. It's harder to binge when you feel full, for instance, so I often pair my trigger foods with foods that I know will fill me up.

Some foods, frankly, just aren't worth the trouble. I never drink non-diet soda and rarely if ever buy sour gummies because I don't like them enough to justify the effort of having them in moderation.

Some stuff I don't bother moderating. I have no intention or desire to eat small portions of Doritos. Ever.
  • kk_140
    Options
    It's definitely mental, and personal. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. When I struggle, I tell myself this:

Willpower is a choice between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.

I like this a lot