SALT

Options
I need ideas on cutting down my salt intake. I am able to stay within my calories, carbs, sugar and protein but not salt. I need suggestions

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Avoid things like ready meals and cured and processed meats these are all very high in salt.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your caloric intake and macros consistently then I would not worry about tracking sodium or sugar for that matter unless you have a medical reason to do so. I would suggest tracking fiber as a substitute..... Best of Luck
  • FraggleRockerFitnessLover
    Options
    SALT:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Smiled

A

Little

Then stopped.....

That's what I thought this thread was about
  • HeartAttackJay
    Options
    Put away the salt shaker. Maybe healthydiningfinder.com will help. Don't get discouraged you have lost so much already. Really scrutinize the nutrition labels before putting in your mouth. Take your own salt substitute to a restaurant. Take your own salad dressing.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Salt can be a hard one, some folks will tell you not to worry about it but I wanted to get mine down at least to the RDA. For me what worked was switching to more lean "less processed" proteins and adding in more veggies. Dull advice huh?

I found out that I really like turkey burgers and that they keep me pretty full for a good long time. They have 200 calories, 35 grams of protein and 390 sodium. I moved to those after I found a MUCH smaller portion of deli meat had about twice the sodium.

I actually just grill up the burger dry, add a little pepper and then season with a SMALL side of BBQ sauce which I eat along with a big helping of broccoli. All told I'm at 574 mg of sodium for a meal like that although it took a while for me to appreciate that the above was a meal since it was missing bread, sauce, something fried, etc.

Chicken is going to be pretty similar as long as you are just eating chicken and not something processed with added seasonings and sauces. I have enough room in my sodium bucket now that I can add low sodium taco seasoning to shredded chicken and make pretty tasty chicken tacos at home with hot sauce and all.

Going over a few hundred mg's every day doesn't bother me too much any more since I am close and used to be WAY over everyday all the time.

Anyway, best of luck!
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Unless you can stay away from processed and/or packaged foods, it's gonna be tough. Even "heart-healthy" canned soups have a serious slug of sodium. I second the earlier poster who said to focus on calorie count and nutritional macros, and not stress over the salt.....
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your caloric intake and macros consistently then I would not worry about tracking sodium or sugar for that matter unless you have a medical reason to do so. I would suggest tracking fiber as a substitute..... Best of Luck

Wow...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly concerned about sodium but I do try to stay within my 2300mg per day (I'll be honest, it doesn't always happen). One thing that helps me is pre-logging as many of my foods as I can. For example, we're having hot dogs tonight because that's what the kids want, so I know I'm going to be getting a ridiculous amount of sodium in one of those. So I can plan out the rest of my day to include foods that are low in sodium to offset dinner. I also try to increase my water intake on days I know I'll be going over my sodium limit.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Not eating canned or processed foods is a big help. Also, watch the sodium in dairy products and bread. Bread is a significant salt contributor, which surprises me. I only use 0.2% salt in my homemade bread recipes which is a pretty tiny amount. I wonder what food industry standards are for baked bread?
    I can our beans and lots of other foods myself, which gives us lower sodium canned goods. Now, if I could stay away from my sprinkle bowl of kosher salt!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Wow...

Wow? That is very good advice (I'm assuming you disagree?). Unless someone's taking in massive, massive sodium overages without staying hydrated (and not sweating/is inactive--IDK, OP didn't say their activity rate, or if they're at 3g or 7g sodium), and has health related concerns, sodium is not evil, it's needed. Now if they do have a medical reason (I do, for one), sodium needs to be moderated. In that case, I do try to keep below 2g, but still at a healthy amount, as indicated by my physician.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Wow...

Wow? That is very good advice (I'm assuming you disagree?). Unless someone's taking in massive, massive sodium overages without staying hydrated (and not sweating/is inactive--IDK, OP didn't say their activity rate, or if they're at 3g or 7g sodium), and has health related concerns, sodium is not evil, it's needed. Now if they do have a medical reason (I do, for one), sodium needs to be moderated. In that case, I do try to keep below 2g, but still at a healthy amount, as indicated by my physician.

Agreed. If you're one of the types who refuses to exercise maybe worry about salt, the rest of us sweat enough. We need salt.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Im hoping the "wow..." comment was in regards to Ed's incredible weight loss, but if not...learn more.

Here is a study from the American Journal of Hypertension...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24651634

Not sure you can get full access to it for free but some highlights:

There is a U shaped relationship between sodium intake and health related events. Meaning, that both too low and too high sodium intake can lead to poor health outcomes.

Also this meta-study (a study of many existing studies) concludes that a healthy range of sodium is in fact: 2,645 mg to 4,945 mg - much higher than MFP numbers. So basically the poor health outcomes are only associated with a daily sodium intake over 5,000mg, but also associated with a daily low sodium intake (less than 2500ish).
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Wow...

Agreed. If you're one of the types who refuses to exercise maybe worry about salt, the rest of us sweat enough. We need salt.

I concur. But the statement was so general that seemed quite ignorant.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Wow...

If by ignorant you mean I have 5 years into this (3 years in weight loss and 2 years in maintenance) and have lost over 300 pounds, have learned to not over think things and Keep it Simple stupid then Yep I am pretty ignorant..... lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Wow...

If by ignorant you mean I have 5 years into this (3 years in weight loss and 2 years in maintenance) and have lost over 300 pounds, have learned to not over think things and Keep it Simple stupid then Yep I am pretty ignorant..... lol

I think the original statement was absolutely on point and even covered the medical exception. It looks pretty damn informed to me.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Wow...

Why wow? It's good advice. I do this. My sugar comes from fruit or yogurt.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to limit salt, as long as you're not SUPER overdoing it, don't worry about it. But making homemade food is your best bet to limit sodium. You can control exactly how much you eat. Any pre-packaged, restaurant or frozen meals will be excessively salty.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Yes!!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I need ideas on cutting down my salt intake. I am able to stay within my calories, carbs, sugar and protein but not salt. I need suggestions

Unless you have a specific medical condition or suffer high blood pressure - a high salt intake is generally not an issue and salt is extremely beneficial in a diet.