Can you have too much water?

nevergoingback2011
nevergoingback2011 Posts: 37
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I have just filled up my 6th 20oz bottle since 7 am this morning... is this too much? Should I watch it? Will it affect my weight loss if I drink too much water?

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Not really any such thing as too much water.

The only thing that is going to happen is that you might pee a lot, which isn't a bad thing.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    You have to drink massive amounts of water in a fairly short time to cause any harm to yourself, don't worry too much.
  • haha it may not be a bad thing for you but its bad for my schedule. i am hating it.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    wrong:

you can drink too much water which is a contributing factor in congestive heart failure, hyponatremia, swelling of the brain, etc. So, take it easy and stretch this water throughout the day...

when you are peeing often and clear you are well hydrated... try not to stray too far from the recommended... of course if you are working out, youll need more
  • Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water?
    Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:
    Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Hope this helps.
  • It is possible to actually die from drinking too much water, your cells try to balance their salinity with their outside environment and the osmotic pressure causes the cell walls to burst, usually killing you. The actor Anthony Andrews nearly died from this a few years back, but it takes a LOT of water, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Well they say to have 8 cups of water and I try to reach that every day. There have been a few nights where I had to wake up several times in the middle of the night - not fun especially if you have to wake up early in the morning.
  • Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water?
    Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:
    Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Hope this helps.

Figured I would back it up instead of just saying yes it can harm you if you drink too much water.
  • yea, thanks.. haha. well like i said i am just starting my 7th 20 oz bottle and i started at 7 am so... its like one bottle every two hours. and ive been peeing fine so im guessing its filtering fine lol
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    i drink anywhere from 14-16 glasses of water a day (it is the only fluid i drink) and I'm fine, besides going to the bathroom all the time.
  • yea, thanks.. haha. well like i said i am just starting my 7th 20 oz bottle and i started at 7 am so... its like one bottle every two hours. and ive been peeing fine so im guessing its filtering fine lol

Then you should have no problems! :)

i said 7th i meant 6th woops
  • i drink anywhere from 14-16 glasses of water a day (it is the only fluid i drink) and I'm fine, besides going to the bathroom all the time.
    me too pretty much. ive been trying to have juice or milk in the mornings but the rest of the day is straight water
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    No-you pee out whatever you don't need. So as long as you are peeing regularly you are fine!!
  • I average 13 glasses a water a day and just try to cut myself off by 8pm so that I don't have to get up more than once or less at night to pee. I have noticed my skin is more clear, but I don't have any bad side affects. The most I have had is 19 glasses in one day. I have learned to work my water intake around my work shift and get 6 glasses in a day by 2pm. Water intoxication is very uncommon and unless you are losing a lot of fluids and not replacing them properly you are not likely to have a problem. At least that is what I learned when I googled the same question. ;)
  • momtodeshawn
    momtodeshawn Posts: 54 Member
    Yes, people have died from drinking too much water...

http://abcn.ws/1wFtq1

and

http://bit.ly/dWMYI2
This discussion has been closed.