cardio+core work+deficit = flat tummy?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Flat tummy = lower overall body fat. Try for 20%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Slight deficit + LISS (preferably mornings) + HIIT + Strength resistance training.

I think this is the winning formula.

just one thing - LISS.... why probably mornings? Surely time of exercise has no relevance

Fasted cardio so best to do it before eating. I have found it works (for me) and I only started incorporating it in 3-4 weeks ago.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Wouldn't it work though if I just dropped fat and did ab work so when the layer of fat is gone, I'll have a hard stomach?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    flat tummy=calorie deficit.

That's it...

Really? There are no exercises?

Calorie deficit + Weighted ab work. If you're consistent with both you'll get the look you're going for.
  • gpeach1
    gpeach1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it work though if I just dropped fat and did ab work so when the layer of fat is gone, I'll have a hard stomach?

Specifically what kind of ab work are you doing? Do you do any core exercises?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes... eventually. Depending on where you are, 30/90/360 days may not be enough. Probably less than 20% body fat needed, and some musculature.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I second posture as well. make sure to keep your hip flexors and lower back limber. When those get tight we tend to stand swayback which makes the tummy look poochy. Be sure you're standing tall, pushing up through the back of your head and tucking your pelvis. If that's difficult, you're probably tight in through the lower back and hips and some yoga might do you some good. I know I look many pounds lighter when I just improve my posture and fix nothing else.
  • natashabefit
    Options

Specifically what kind of ab work are you doing? Do you do any core exercises?

I do planks, and twice a week I do squats with 50 lb bar and deadlift 50 too. I don't do too heavy
  • natashabefit
    Options

That's it...

Calorie deficit + Weighted ab work. If you're consistent with both you'll get the look you're going for.

What are weighted ab work?
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Full-body compound lifts (squat, DL, bench press, and OHP, with some back work added) and a small deficit is really a good way to get a nice tummy. If you're eating at a deficit, it's practically impossible to gain muscle. But it's great for helping decrease body fat % (the lifting does help to maintain muscle, so you lose mostly fat), which is the key to having a flat tummy. For most people, the belly area is one of the last places to let go of the fat, and you can't chose where to lose from.

Additionally, the compound moves help build core strength, which is another bonus when working for flat abs. Once you shed the body fat, you'll have really nice abs showing through :happy: I wouldn't do a lot of isolated abs work (planks are fine, but tons of crunches, etc are so great). I don't think they really do as much to build core strength as the compound moves, honestly, and they really aren't going to slim the waist/tummy since you can't spot reduce, even with exercise.

And to those who posted about never getting to the flat abs - don't despair. It's possible. You just have to be patient and disciplined - it does take some time and work. But you can get there :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    What are weighted ab work?

Weighted Crunches, Weighted Russian Twists, Barbell Floor Wipers, to name just a few...

Full-body compound lifts (squat, DL, bench press, and OHP, with some back work added) and a small deficit is really a good way to get a nice tummy. If you're eating at a deficit, it's practically impossible to gain muscle. But it's great for helping decrease body fat % (the lifting does help to maintain muscle, so you lose mostly fat), which is the key to having a flat tummy. For most people, the belly area is one of the last places to let go of the fat, and you can't chose where to lose from.

Additionally, the compound moves help build core strength, which is another bonus when working for flat abs. Once you shed the body fat, you'll have really nice abs showing through :happy: I wouldn't do a lot of isolated abs work (planks are fine, but tons of crunches, etc are so great). I don't think they really do as much to build core strength as the compound moves, honestly, and they really aren't going to slim the waist/tummy since you can't spot reduce, even with exercise.

And to those who posted about never getting to the flat abs - don't despair. It's possible. You just have to be patient and disciplined - it does take some time and work. But you can get there :smile: :flowerforyou:

I do agree the Compound lifts do build core strength (which is VERY important). However, they only the work isometric function of the Rectus Abdominis, but do not work spinal flexion, lateral flexion, and rotation which are the other isolated functions of the Abs. This is why, in addition to the compound lifts, I personally do and suggest to others who want "abs" to isolate them. In fact, anyone who wants a muscle to "pop" should isolate that muscle. There's a difference between strength training and hypertrophy training i.e. training for aesthetics (which the later is what most people desire)
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I lost 25 pound and everyone says how I look skinny and I do find that I look great but the belly has to go, its too jiggly
  • natashabefit
    Options
    I can pinch a good 2-3 inches of fat
  • natashabefit
    Options
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    Bump
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

That's it...

Unless OP is a man, that is just going to make the waist larger. Calorie deficit = lower body fat percentage is the way to go
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    HIIT has been found to drop fat the fastest, even when burning fewer calories over endurance training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991639/
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    That being said don't neglect the abs entirely but don't do ab moves weighted if you want a flatter, tiny waist.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    That being said don't neglect the abs entirely but don't do ab moves weighted if you want a flatter, tiny waist.

Not true. When I work my abs it is all weighted, 8-12 reps. I have a 26" waist and wear a size 4.

Women need to stop getting over the fear of using weights. Everyone wants to have definition and be "toned" , which comes from calorie deficit AND lifting weights.