How to measure cooked pasta?

Options
I've been trying to figure this out for the past 20min while staring at my food wanting to eat. lol I cooked a whole box of pasta and go to see how much I should measure out and it goes in 1 or 2oz. increments which is dry pasta. How do I portion cooked pasta? Measure it on my postal scale? lol I really have no clue.

Jess

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    once it's cooked I'd say look at the size of the box and see how many servings are in the box, then portion it out based on that. If you don't get the same number of servings you're having bigger servings.

I do measure out a cup of cooked pasta when I care to track it that way. Used to eat way more but now I find a cup at a time is all I want of pasta.
  • kris2683
    kris2683 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You need a food scale, you can buy them pretty cheap, and measure out your pasta before you cook it. For example if I'm making pasta for two and the box says 1 serving is 20grams then I will measure out 40grams to cook. After its done I try to divide it as evenly as possible. Hope this helps;)
  • Lifedreamer
    Options
    I haven't found a way yet to accurately measure via weight or such, but I love pasta myself and found a nifty little tool at the grocery store for it. It was a pasta spoon/stirrer thing (you know with the teeth lol) and in the handle was a hole through which you put your noodle pastas dry in order to find the correct serving size for one person. Works like a charm! It'll probably be easy to find one like it at a local store, just look in the utensils section.
  • LilSweetie785
    Options
    You know i actually have one of those tools that i used to stir the pasta. lol I've never measured before cause its me, my husband, and our three kids so I've always cooked the whole box since we go through it within a couple days. I'll try and google and see what I can find.
  • LilSweetie785
    Options
    It looks like 1 cup of cooked pasta is equal to 2oz. dry. I'll stick with that for now so I can go eat lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to measure before you cook it.

If you forget, and you make the whole box--strain it, put a bowl on the scale and hit the "tare" button, dump the pasta in the bowl, measure the total weight, and divide by the number of servings on the box. Then just measure out the amount for 1 serving.

Then write down the number so you know next time.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had the same question... On a box of rice I saw that 1/4 cup dry is equivalent to 1 cup cooked. But pasta may be different due to it's size (also depends of the type of pasta - bow tie, rotini, penne, etc.) I would try finding a food scale :)
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I found this very nifty pasta tool at Target. The brand is Healthy Steps. You actually boil the pasta in the basket. Here is a link to all the products.

http://www.jokari.com/myhealthysteps/Products.html