College Eating

Options
newfielover
newfielover Posts: 104 Member
Hey everyone!
Do you have cheap easy recipes that would be good for a college student?
Thanks!

Replies

• kklv923
    kklv923 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make mac and cheese according to the directions on the box and add in a can of tuna. Super easy and cheap.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    We lived on pasta with ground beef/tomato sauce with it! Somehow I got through college without gaining weight but in retrospect I'm not sure how!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A site I use often is www.budgetbites.com. Very good recipes and helps with the grocery bill...
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is one I use from www.budgetbites.com.. Delicous

chili garlic breakfast quesadilla
    $0.61 each
    A while back I posted my delicious Egg Florentine Quesadillas and many of you seemed to enjoy them just as much as I did. Although they are wonderful, I don’t always have creamed spinach in my fridge (and not for lack of wanting) so the recipe has since morphed into these delicious Chili Garlic Breakfast Quesadillas. They sill have spinach (fresh rather than creamed) and instead of red pepper flakes I smear a bit of garlic chili paste onto the tortilla. Anyway, you can make one of these in about 10 minutes and they’re very portable… not to mention delicious. These quesadillas have been my breakfast for WEEKS (well, when I’m not eating my Indian Spiced Oats, that is).

Chili Garlic Breakfast Quesadilla

chili garlic breakfast quesadilla

Save

Print
    Prep time
    3 mins
    Cook time
    7 mins
    Total time
    10 mins

Cost Per Serving: $0.61
    Serves: 1
    Ingredients
    1 large egg $0.15
    1 small tortilla $0.08
    1 tsp chili garlic paste $0.05
    ¼ cup shredded cheddar $0.25
    ½ cup fresh spinach $0.08
    Instructions
    In a small non-stick skillet, fry your egg until it is set. I like to leave the yolk just slightly runny but beware: the runnier the yolk, the less portable the quesadilla (and there is nothing worse than dripping egg yolk down the front of your shirt before you even get to work. Trust me).
    While the egg cooks, smear 1 tsp of chili garlic paste on one half of the tortilla. Top that side with ¼ cup of cheese. When the egg is finished, place the egg on top of the cheese (the heat helps it melt) and then put the spinach on top of the egg. Fold the tortilla over and return it to the pan (keep the heat on).
    Cook each side of the quessadilla until it is golden brown and crispy (1-2 min each side). Be careful not to spill the contents of the quesadilla out as you flip it. The spinach likes to escape.
  • Zohar94
    Zohar94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    go dumpsterdiving. more free fruit and veggies then you can eat!
  • madimatchbox
    Options
    Fresh corn, potatoes, and sweet potatoes can all be made in the microwave
    Rotisserie chicken is cheap and can go a long way.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I lived off of cases of Mama Thailand best chandraburi noodles (instant pho an lien). Cooked up with frozen mixed veg and an egg stirred in at the end. With an ice cold pink grapefruit for dessert. Back then it cost me about $1 a meal. Same meal costs about $3 now mostly due to cost of pink grapefruit. Canned tuna/chicken/salmon/surimi mixed with Greek yogurt, frozen corn and frozen edamame/peas is very economical. Less than 10 min to make and no cooking.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I dont know what is avaliable for you to cook on, but dried breans, eggs, canned tuna, frozen veggies, and precooked chicken in the deli are good and inexpensive choices
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Also the Elvis is very economical. Whole wheat bread, peanut butter, bacon, banana drizzled with honey. Just get the packet of precooked bacon (72 slice in a pack and 70 cals for 3 slice)from SAMs club. Then you can also make BLT sandwiches or wraps. Very reasonable price and you don't have to cook anything. The bacon is also great in fried rice and pasta dishes.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Step one: Invest in a crock pot. From there the options are endless!