On the news Today - Our kids will never know....

Options
nickeymhughes
nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
So I heard today on the news that our Kids will never know what the following are....
VCR
CD's
Landline Telephone
Print Advertising

What do you think???? PLEASE ADD anymore you can think of...

Replies

• kris2683
    kris2683 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They will not know records ever, writing letters, even books are being phased out:(
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    cursive writing
  • kris2683
    kris2683 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh and radio is also dying especially public radio.........
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Walkmans
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    cursive writing
    who came up with that crap any way?
    cold weather, the way we are going.
  • Starlyte123
    Options
    Sad...sad...sad...
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Define "kids".

I'm 23 and know all of those and then some. There are many "kids" (I'm using 25 and under as "kid" because we were the very tailend of that to an adult) who like to kick it old school, such as myself. I fit my car with an 8 track player and a cassette player just so I wouldn't have to re-buy my collection again, or have to leave my dad's 8-track collection to get dusty in the attic.

We still had landline phones, VCRs, CDs, and print ads in the 90's and 2000s.

From my point of view, there are too many socioeconomic and anthropological variables to take into consideration to label a certain age group as not knowing something, when if you dig down deeper, you might find it to be opposite.

But if you do want to go that route, there a PLENTY of things that adults would not be able to do if "kids" weren't around to help adults out...so I think it balances out.

Besides, there's always the internet to google what "adults" are talking about lol!!! ^___^
  • jhobson2005
    Options
    Gameboys or any cartridge video games for that matter :(
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    We have it all here and my youngest is 7...the one thing they dont remeber is a cassette,LP, and 8n tracks ha
  • nickeymhughes
    Options
    cursive writing .. lol, thats sad..
    ok, now I know there is NO WAY that anyone is playing Atari.. (or are they).. if so, where can I get one.. I miss....Pacman, frogger, Donkey Kong, Ping Pong, omg.. so many more
  • AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    typewriters, Nintendo, atari...

and yeah cursive is a big waste of time anyways i get annoyed if my students write in cursive cause its just a big sloppy mess that takes me more time to read.. lol its only good for signatures
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Read an article that typing/keyboarding will soon be a thing of the past with the new Swype system fastly becoming available!
  • nickeymhughes
    Options
    I know it, I still know how to use my keyboard for everything... I don't need the mouse.. omg....i'm like the Cyrpt Keeper....lololololo
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Radio is live and well...lol !! But children born today will never know the space shuttle, film developing or the impact of the Berlin Wall coming down. They will also never know Reagon, Bush Sr, Clinton, GWBush, or even Obama by the time they become aware of national events on a conscious scale. They will just be historical figures to memorize for a test.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    cursive writing
    who came up with that crap any way?
    cold weather, the way we are going.

Please don't say "Global Warming" in my company!!! I moved to FL from PA to get away from the weather we have had the last two winters. Since '94 I have NEVER needed my heat to run more than a few days all winter and maybe ten nights all winter. The past two winters I haven't needed the AC all winter long.

One thing the kids today will never know is HONESTY IN THE MEDIA!!! The "fourth estate" was given the First Amendment to keep the Government in check by TELLING US THE TRUTH!!! Even the schools and colleges are not telling them the whole story or have completely changed "history" in the history books.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ditto what you said runningneo.

Also Nickey - try Mame games for the old stuff. I was playing centipede the other day - one of my favorites from the past. Our 16 year old grandson loves the old arcade games.
  • runningneo122
    Options

Also Nickey - try Mame games for the old stuff. I was playing centipede the other day - one of my favorites from the past. Our 16 year old grandson loves the old arcade games.

I miss Defender and Asteroids.... spent many an hour as well as quarters playing those.
  • runningneo122
    Options

I miss Defender and Asteroids.... spent many an hour as well as quarters playing those.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Here's a funny related story:

My daughter (9) was doing one of those pics where it was "circle the wrong thing" when she was 6. (Ie, flying toaster, etc) This is among what she circled:

A TV that had "rabbit ear" antennas (circled antenna)
    The knobs on the TV
    The cord on the phone

I asked her why she did that...she said that TV's don't have "turners", "there aren't sticks coming out of the TV" and "there's no strings on real phones."

I was rolling. She didn't believe me when I told her that TV was in black and white at one point.

We also showed her my husband's old sony walkman...the tape playing version...she couldn't believe that tapes held only about 12-14 songs and couldn't believe how big it was.

I showed her a payphone...she asked what it was. I told her, and she said "well why don't they just use their cellphone?"
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Here's a funny related story:

My daughter (9) was doing one of those pics where it was "circle the wrong thing" when she was 6. (Ie, flying toaster, etc) This is among what she circled:

A TV that had "rabbit ear" antennas (circled antenna)
    The knobs on the TV
    The cord on the phone

I asked her why she did that...she said that TV's don't have "turners", "there aren't sticks coming out of the TV" and "there's no strings on real phones."

I was rolling. She didn't believe me when I told her that TV was in black and white at one point.

We also showed her my husband's old sony walkman...the tape playing version...she couldn't believe that tapes held only about 12-14 songs and couldn't believe how big it was.

I showed her a payphone...she asked what it was. I told her, and she said "well why don't they just use their cellphone?"
    /quote]

That is PRICELESS......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: