Weight Watchers... should I quit?

Options
Hi everyone.

I have been back and forth on MFP for a few years. I've been following weight watchers since October 2013, and I've lost 15 pounds on it. But I haven't lost anything since January, I've just bounced around within a few pounds.

I think a big problem is that I can't relate to my meeting leader. She is pretty old, maybe 70 years old? I'm 25, and I have about 15 more pounds to lose. The other members in the meeting are mostly 50+ years old and have 50+ pounds to lose. My leader seems really out of touch, and most of the time I get frustrated, so I don't leave any more inspired.

For instance, exercise is a big problem. She will describe how if you hold a 1-lb weight out with your arm, it really starts to burn! I'm at the point where I can run 3 miles a few times a week, so those sorts of problems really don't apply to me.

I've tried looking for other leaders, and have visited other meetings and haven't seen anyone that I really like.

So... I'm planning to quit WW. It's $45/month, and I just feel guilty for not making progress, but even when I track using the WW method I don't lose any weight. I would like to stay and get to "lifetime status" where you are at your goal weight and can use the online app and attend WW meetings for free, but it just feels so far away! But I also don't want to gain that weight back...

Any advice on what to do?

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like it is beneficial to you at all. Are there any other meetings in your area with more people around your age? If not I would call it quits and jsut count calories and track on MFP. Lots of friends to be made here who can give a lot of motiivaton!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ok. It's really your choice. In the end it's up to you no matter what.
  • trisha1298
    trisha1298 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have MFP groups that you check in on a weekly/monthly basis? I think the one thing I would miss about WW is the weekly meetings. Although I can't relate to the leader, I like the consistency and accountability.
  • shorshabae
    shorshabae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found that with the weight watchers meetings too! However I've never stuck for something for as long as I've stuck to MFP...I think it could be because it's super easy (the scanning barcodes thing is wonderful) and it cuts out the pro points step. I'm not convinced by Weight Watchers having dipping in and out for the last few years, this Propoints thing has some tenuous studies backing it that were funding by the company so are overall biased.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    45 bucks a month? Yeah.. quit.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are people here who will encourage you and you them, be they people who will become friends from this thread or ones who are members of groups you asked about. I have seen new group for this or that month so keep your eyes open. Take a look at the list of groups. I am sure there is something for you.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue - although I did like my leader, I did not relate well to the other members because I was WAY more active and once I stalled out I really didn't get much advice on how to jump start.

I quit due to the expense and have been plugging away on MFP for only a month but have lost almost 5 pounds, so it is working. It was difficult at first to throw away all the WW numbers running around in my head, but now I am getting into a groove and hope that I can keep losing.

Good Luck!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I suspect you would have better luck joining some fitness group that doesn't charge you money to be a member. I don't know if people still use meetup.com but if not I'm sure there is something similar out there for some of your local interests.
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    Im doing ww but from home and using facebook groups for tips and support. Maybe look into doing it that way? Finding other people your age and ability to connect with? Im 23 and mum to two young boys so im better with online support
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Trisha- Is your goal weight at the top of your healthy BMI range? If not, set it to that for WW purposes so you can at least maybe make lifetime status at WW, if it's more within reach that way.

I'm struggling with it, too. I really think that the 29 plus 49 plus fruit is too many calories for those of us who aren't very big. I'm going to either quit WW and lower my points targets on my own or go to calorie counting or try 5:2 next. I haven't decided yet.
  • trisha1298
    trisha1298 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WalkingAlong- yeah I was hoping to make it to the top of the lifetime member range, which is a weight for a BMI of 24.9, the very top of the healthy range.

I think you're right about the fruit. I eat a lot of fruit because they're all "zero points" but when I put them into a recipe builder that calculates the points from the nutrition facts, it's an extra 10 or so WW points per day. That's quite a bit... so I'm going to use both WW points and MFP this week for a comparison.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think you're all right that I need to try something new.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OP, I can relate even though I have the opposite problem. I am a WW member who loves my leader and my Saturday morning meeting but struggle with the points plus system after doing well with it for the past 16 months. As I get closer to goal my daily target has shrunk to the point where it's unlivable for me but I value the info that I receive from the meetings and the other members every week. I think that "will power" is a worthless concept and that you need information, plans, strategies , and routines that you build into your life until they become second nature. It was only this week that I stopped tracking points and switched to counting calories full time (still including the WW Healthy Check guidelines) while still going to meetings. I can still track points but it depressed me to be 7 - 10 points over every day even though I am losing 1.6 - 3+ Lbs a week eating way over my target. If you have tried other meetings in nearby towns, check to see if there is a local TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) or if one of the hospitals in your areas has a diet group. There is no point in paying $45 a month to be miserable if the situation is not working for you. Just don't lose any of your current momentum when/ if you quit! Best of luck!
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really think that the 29 plus 49 plus fruit is too many calories for those of us who aren't very big.

I completely agree about the fruit. I was with WW for about a year and once my BMI dropped out of Obese into Overweight, it's as if WW stopped working for me, though I suspect it had to do with all of the fruits that I was "allowed".

OP, if the accountability is what you're looking for, there are a lot of supportive people here on MFP that will happily help you stay on track. Join groups and/or add friends. The community here is one of the things that makes MFP so awesome and helpful.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I have been back and forth on MFP for a few years. I've been following weight watchers since October 2013, and I've lost 15 pounds on it. But I haven't lost anything since January, I've just bounced around within a few pounds.

I think a big problem is that I can't relate to my meeting leader. She is pretty old, maybe 70 years old? I'm 25, and I have about 15 more pounds to lose. The other members in the meeting are mostly 50+ years old and have 50+ pounds to lose. My leader seems really out of touch, and most of the time I get frustrated, so I don't leave any more inspired.

For instance, exercise is a big problem. She will describe how if you hold a 1-lb weight out with your arm, it really starts to burn! I'm at the point where I can run 3 miles a few times a week, so those sorts of problems really don't apply to me.

I've tried looking for other leaders, and have visited other meetings and haven't seen anyone that I really like.

So... I'm planning to quit WW. It's $45/month, and I just feel guilty for not making progress, but even when I track using the WW method I don't lose any weight. I would like to stay and get to "lifetime status" where you are at your goal weight and can use the online app and attend WW meetings for free, but it just feels so far away! But I also don't want to gain that weight back...

Any advice on what to do?
    Why not try the online version if you like the WW diet? You might be eating too much of the free fruits and vegetables. I gained when I tried WW after they changed to that! Prior to the change I would lose consistently but I did have to choose the lowest point option.
    I'm liking MFP but I do see value in WW. To be honest, I thought the original WW back in the 70s/80s was better. At least after they took away the liver requirement. They used to make you eat a liver meal at least once a week.
  • randilyn0923
    randilyn0923 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done WW a few times before (both online and meetings) and I've had some success, but most of all not much. I think MFP offers a lot more support from people and best of all it's FREE! Also, the "points" system for WW changed a few years ago and it doesn't work as well. There have been many complaints from WW users that they are having issues losing weight on the new system. I think you can't go wrong with MFP and all the support that is offered here : ) People of all ages and people at all different stages of their weight loss are here to help and cheer you on! : )
  • GeorgiaJenn1181
    Options
    I've done WW twice over the past three years and have been successful both times. I lost 51lbs the first time. Stopped doing it, gained it all back (and then some...and some more). Joined again, did their new Simple Start, and lost 21 lbs during my three-month online membership. My problem with WW is that I can't always track points. I don't have a smart phone, so the app is out of the question. I also find the fact that it's way too easy to assume your activity is burning more calories than it really is a little misleading.

I say if you can count calories for free, and it's working for you, and you're just not feeling those WW meetings, then save the money and track on MFP.
  • Tripletmom2012
    Options
    Quit weight watchers and use the $45 to pay for a personal trainer or join a gym or use the money to join a fitness class at your community center. For $45 a month you could get some serious weight loss help!
  • shorshabae
    shorshabae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't mean for this to mean or nasty but I feel that if once you quit and you gained all the weight back, does weight watchers work? I had the same experience and it seems so does a lot of people! I feel that MFP is making me be more mindful about my meals rather than being obsessed with points and 'what I'm allowed'
  • muppet1501
    muppet1501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I done WW twice and gave up both times. First time because I became pregnant and second time because I just lost motivation. I have also tried the 5:2 diet and I did lose 5lb but the fast days are difficult especially as im on my feet all day and in need of the energy boost. I again lost motivation. I prefer MFP. You have advice, support and people online who are in the same boat. The barcode scanning is a lifesaver and really helps me stick within my calories and so far ive lost 3lb in a week.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i actually just quit WW(online). with the active link i was spending like 25 bucks a month but i just got lazy with it. i lost 55 lbs in 6 months with no exercise after my son was born, but that was on the old plan where you had to count your fruits/veggies. i was always hungry on the new plan regardless of being able to eat pretty much all the fruits and veggies you wanted for free. i know I've only been back at this for a week on MFP, but I upped my calories from the crazy 1200 to what my supposed TDEE is at 1670 and i am never hungry---so much happier, feel motivated to actually go out and exercise, and I'm not spending 25 bucks a month for online usage.