Ladies: Grow it or Cut it Off?

Options
ImaWaterBender
ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
Speaking of hair:

Working out with long hair can be a pain, all of that showering and sweating. Do you whack off your hair to make life easier when starting a fitness program or do you just soldier through?

I am investing in elastics and doing a lot of braids. I can't say what's going to happen when it really gets hot this summer, though...

I might have to go all

12-bryan-cranston-shaved-head.jpg

instead of

CrystalGayle1.jpg

Replies

• Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Comfort comes before style but I learned to adapt with
    a ponytail. I'm growing mine long and I know how
    messy it can be. Not to mention hot when in cardio. lol
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My cardio is swimming laps daily, but I have found an excellent swim shampoo and I wear a cap that is nylon, rather than plastic, to keep my hair from tearing. I also do a lot of french braids to keep the weight of it off of my head.

I look like a pinhead with short hair.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My hair goes halfway down my back. I always wear my hair up though so it doesn't bother me. I am though going to cut it just below the shoulders here in a couple weeks.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    mcrukm.gif
  • vasairiah
    vasairiah Posts: 5,187 Member
    Options
    ^hahahahah

OP ... My hair is almost to my waist. Took me a long time to grow and I love it.

I like to wear it down when I can. It's easy to twist into a bun or pony tail, when I'm working out.
  • HalfwayGone
    HalfwayGone Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Grow it. I would look terrible with short hair
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288

Waist length hair here.... there is no workout that can break through the ballet bun I use. Put hair in ponytail, split tail into three sections, wrap one section around in a bun, wrap second around first, wrap third around second.... you're basically making a snail shell and pinning as you go. Secure as a rock, doesn't hurt to lay on the bench with, etc etc. I may not be great at explaining it, but I can find a better tutorial from the long hair care forum if someone wants it. This is tried and true through years of dance.

I have had hair every length from shaved to knees, and I'm trying for terminal length this time. I want to see how long it will go!

Here's the tutorial - it's called a vortex bun.... ffs my phone will only put the link at the top!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Currently growing out to chin or maybe a bit longer bob.
    Would like to be able to curl, mess up and clip up in the back.
    Tired of the same boring short hair look now for 7-8 years..
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I wear it in a bun, a lot. I live in a really hot area and my hair is long and thick, so pretty much a pain. In the past I have hacked it off but always regretted it after.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hair is always getting in the way of my cardio.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hair almost down to my waist. I just braid it.
  • ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    Lightly layered straight waist length hair here... think about chopping it off at least 3-4 days a week! Ugh!! Showers would be cut down to 5 minutes instead of 15-20, and combing it out would be seconds instead of 10 minutes. It would air dry in minutes instead of an hour or more.

And I would no longer have to pull it back when I take the top down in the convertible!! Win-win!!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My hair was halfway down my back, I wore it up all the time,, I just cut it off super short, (funny thing is my hair stylist was more scared than I was )

LOVE IT!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My cardio is swimming laps daily, but I have found an excellent swim shampoo and I wear a cap that is nylon, rather than plastic, to keep my hair from tearing. I also do a lot of french braids to keep the weight of it off of my head.

I look like a pinhead with short hair.

I have a large head, so as my body got smaller, I discovered that I look a lot better with hair that is pretty short (pixie). New for me but I like it, and since I go to the pool twice a week, MUCH easier to take care of. I just blow dry it (takes about 45 seconds) and go. If you are going to go short, you need a very good cut--that is critical. Look around at women's haircuts and when you see one that you think would look good on you, ask them where they get their hair done and who at that salon is their regular hairdresser. Most women are delighted to tell you.
  • tasha_rena
    tasha_rena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pixie cut here. I never get hot, it dries quickly (both from sweat and post-shower) and is never irritating. I love it. :)