Do you count cleaning as exercise?

Options
QAPmom
QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
Just wondering if anyone adds cleaning or push mowing to exercise? I normally don't for the daily pick ups and sweeping, but I am wondering when you clean for 3 or so hours to you count it? Also push mowing, is this something that you would add or would you do that and exercise besides that in a night?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I never clean long enough to care lol. But, if I do something like that that I feel deserves some extra calories, I'll add about half the amount of time using the entry for walking 2 mph.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with this, as mostly I'm at home with my young kids, and sometimes cleaning up after them is all I seem to do all day! I mentioned on another thread that as a result of this sustained, low-level activity I was struggling to keep track of how much ex exercise I actually did, and someone (rather snootily!) they would not count ANY of it as excercise. Now I have a Fitbit and it has really helped me to see that actually I DO spend quite a bit of time on my feet, and helped me know how much extra I should eat as a result.
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log cleaning or mowing etc....the only thing I log as exercise is when I set out to do a workout. A lot of people do though especially if you selected a 'sedentary' or 'lightly active' lifestyle in MFP settings. It's personal preference! You're definitely keeping busy and getting lots of exercise with the lifestyle you have on a day to day basis. If you need extra fuel to keep up with that lifestyle then I say....log it!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with this, as mostly I'm at home with my young kids, and sometimes cleaning up after them is all I seem to do all day! I mentioned on another thread that as a result of this sustained, low-level activity I was struggling to keep track of how much ex exercise I actually did, and someone (rather snootily!) they would not count ANY of it as excercise. Now I have a Fitbit and it has really helped me to see that actually I DO spend quite a bit of time on my feet, and helped me know how much extra I should eat as a result.

That's why I love my FitBit. I average about 9,000 steps mowing the lawn and my FitBit does the calorie burn calculations for me.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't, just because I'm more likely to eat ALLLLL those calories back. Oh, look, I burned 200 calories pulling weeds? Guess who's getting piiiiieeee?!

That's just me, though. I can understand logging out-of-the-norm activities. I've just operated under the idea that regular chores contribute to activity level rather than logged exercise.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I clean for a living. I dont count it in exercise cals burnt but I do have myself set as lightly active. I usually loose more than the pound and half im set to loose.
  • marycatherine000
    Options
    I do but only because it is such a rare activity for me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I dunno. What's the calorie burn from spraying the most evilest chemicals I can find that do all the cleaning for me?
  • krubio58
    krubio58 Posts: 11
    Options
    Since mowing the lawn makes me break a sweat and then some, I count it!
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't log any cleaning. I log only what I intend to be a workout. You can't track cleaning calories well enough anyway.. I'd rather eat to my goal and have those calories be a bonus knowing you were under for sure instead of trying to estimate and potentially estimating too high, putting me over goal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone adds cleaning or push mowing to exercise? I normally don't for the daily pick ups and sweeping, but I am wondering when you clean for 3 or so hours to you count it? Also push mowing, is this something that you would add or would you do that and exercise besides that in a night?
    I don't count any cleaning because even with a heart rate monitor I would not know how much I was burning. Heck, I don't even count my walking or weight lifting,and nothing except my cardiio workouts and that reading comes off my heart rate monitor.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No, not as cals burned. Even when I deep clean my whole house and work up a sweat, for me, it doesn't count as exercise. I might put it in my exercise log and count it as "1" calorie burned, just to note that I did something other than sit on my butt all day.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    nope
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Cleaning, no. Not cooking either. But if I were to mow the lawn, I would.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't every day cleaning, but Yesterday I did major spring cleaning for 4 hours so I logged an hour. Mowing, I would use walking if they don't have mowing in the database but I would only log half. Only because I'd rather err on the side of burning more than I think rather then vice versa
  • Jclifford253
    Options
    I don't count cleaning but i certainly count mowing the lawn. Almost 2 hours of at least moderate activity.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just spent all day pulling weeds and using the pressure washer to clean the outside of my house and deck. You better believe I put that down! With that said I don't plan to eat back my calories from it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The only time I counted it was when I was painting the house and moving around furniture.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If it's a sustained and heavy effort (like helping a hoarder clean out part of a room, lol, or maybe cleaning out the storage closet of mine) I've counted it ... but I'll only log it as light effort and for half the time, usually. And I have been known to log things like vacuuming, when I'm 7+ months pregnant, because it's more difficult then and I need to make sure to get enough calories (but again, logging only as light and for half the time). All of the light cleaning, like picking up after my kids, dusting, general vacuuming, etc falls into my activity level instead.

I'd probably say the same for mowing. (Out of curiosity, by "push mower," do you mean gas powered but not self-propelled, or that it actually works/blades spinning from you pushing it? Though both can take considerable effort). I log the time I spend "gardening" - which right now is literally digging up the grass around my rose bush area. Light effort stuff like sitting and pulling weeds, I probably wouldn't log.

The bottom line is find what works for YOU. Try logging 1/2 time for your heavier effort chores if you want to, and see how it works. If you slow in your weight loss, though, that'd be the first thing I'd change.
  • lightemupdc
    lightemupdc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nope. To me, it'd be considered part of your normal, everyday lifestyle.