coffee....

Options
I know it's bad for me but the past few days having a cup a day is really helping keep my appetite at bay i don't usually drink coffee just used to drink diet sodas most of the time ...should i stop drinkin the coffee even though its helping me ?

Replies

• lillmssy
    Options
    No....you shouldn't stop drinking coffee. The say a 1/2 cup before a work out will give you a little boost. I wouldn't go drinking 5-6 cups a day though. I drink 2 cups in the morning over a 3 hr period. Then I switch to water and de-caf green tea. Around 1pm I have a half a cup and it gives me that little boost so I don't sit on the couch when I get home.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Nope... Ease into things as well as easing out or down to a better intake level. This process of losing weight and learning to eat better is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't bad for you.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input guys :-)
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you should stop. I can't imagine a couple of cups of coffee a day is going to do any harm....I have 2 cups a day at work :)

Keep up the good work x
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    No....you shouldn't stop drinking coffee. The say a 1/2 cup before a work out will give you a little boost. I wouldn't go drinking 5-6 cups a day though. I drink 2 cups in the morning over a 3 hr period. Then I switch to water and de-caf green tea. Around 1pm I have a half a cup and it gives me that little boost so I don't sit on the couch when I get home.

Ditto, I just drink a cup of hot dark tea in the AM and after 30 minutes for absorption I do my T/M run(fasted cardio).
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't really bad for you, it just depends how much you drink! I drink maximum 2 cups per day. I substituted my morning coffee for a fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, but always have a coffee in the afternoon when ı get home from work, and 2 on the weekends. If you are drinking soft drinks (do y'all call it pop?) I would try to completely give that up, as even the 'diet' stuff is bad for you.
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    A cup of coffee is fine! A lot of times people are worried about what they put in it though, because cream and sugar is obviously not very good for you and can add up if you are using it in multiple cups!! Sometimes I like to have coffee for a dessert/treat... it's less calories than something else I might have and it's sweet and delicious and fills you up! I would say coffee is better for you than soda!! Everything is moderation though :)
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    Coffee is not the culprit although I agree with many here that no more than 3 cups a day and 2 is best. However, be careful how much diet soda you drink! Even though it is sugar, fat and calorie free, it still has effects in it that can slow your weight loss considerably. I recommend that you only have a diet soda once a day and try to get away from it all together. It took me a long time to stop and even still I enjoy one once in a while. Try club soda with a splash of your favorite juice! It natural, cheaper and MUCH better for you, however, look for the club soda with low sodium; the regular stuff is really high!
    Again, enjoy your coffee! (No sugar though and go light on the cream!)
    Just try and keep everything as natural as possible! The less chemicals you put in your body the quicker you will se the pounds drop off!
  • tracey_74
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of coffee - I have max 2 cups per day. But I also find it curbs my appetite rather than stimulates it.

The way I'm doing this weight loss thing right now is just calorie counting what I eat - ensuring my portions are appropriate. I think this is the most important thing.

Everything in moderation - I haven't cut out chocolate or potato chips - I have just paid attention to serving sizes. You'll be amazed at how filling 25g with of chips is.
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday..i just make sure not to put to much sugar and cream..i even thought about drinking it black..(Yuk)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    diet soda is far worse for you than coffee. Diet soda can make sugar cravings worse. It can cause headaches. I keep hearing about artificial sweeters causing brain tumors and seizures but don't know how much truth there is to that. Coffee is good for you in moderation. Unless you have sensitivities to the caffeine in it, go for it. Yes - what's bad is what goes in it. I drink mine black now. I only used sugar before but sugar is my biggest problem. Coffee has heath benefits to it. Here is just one article:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

I have tried every artificial sweeter out there for my coffee and I don't like any of them. I know Aspartame loses it's sweetness when heated.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of coffee - I have max 2 cups per day. But I also find it curbs my appetite rather than stimulates it.

The way I'm doing this weight loss thing right now is just calorie counting what I eat - ensuring my portions are appropriate. I think this is the most important thing.

Everything in moderation - I haven't cut out chocolate or potato chips - I have just paid attention to serving sizes. You'll be amazed at how filling 25g with of chips is.

Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. It's what you find in a lot of the old diet pills. Remember Dexatrim? Do they still sell that?
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine but if you are having a take away coffee like a cappuccino or a latte its probably a good idea to have skim/skinny milk. No sugar is best. I used to have a heaped teaspoon but slowly decreased it till now i dont have any. I find it best before lunch then I drink tea in the afternoon. I also have a small glass of water with my coffee. I find a cup of coffee helps stave of hunger as well.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I cut down my coffee consumption by drinking better coffee and having a variety of coffees available. The Kuerig system has been my favorite gift in a long time.
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    Not only that, Diet Soda can cause side effects that mimick MS if you drink to much!
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I have one cup every morning with one serving of regular flavored creamer, and I track it =)